2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

30 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

All good to have your opinion but... From one game, where he's adjusting to the left side and first wjc tournament... And you're now wondering if we should have picked ASP?  That has me thinking you wanted ASP from the get go.  Sour grapes me thinks.

Don’t be scared, I wanted Axel, he is more offensively dynamic. Imagine him with Hughes. This is just like OJ over MT. People would rationalize it and talk about OJ’s IQ and how he was a safe pick and a need. Just people trying to self soothe. I’m not saying Willy is trash by any means, I just think Axel is going to be a game changer. Willy is a late 1st to early 2nd Edler ish ceiling and we need that too I guess. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Don’t be scared, I wanted Axel, he is more offensively dynamic. Imagine him with Hughes. This is just like OJ over MT. People would rationalize it and talk about OJ’s IQ and how he was a safe pick and a need. Just people trying to self soothe. I’m not saying Willy is trash by any means, I just think Axel is going to be a game changer. Willy is a late 1st to early 2nd Edler ish ceiling and we need that too I guess. 

Like AP too. But it’s clear he’s a puck sucker who is a selfish player. Willander is way better. AP is a wasted pick. He will never be an Nhl

pkauer. Thank GOODNESS we got Willander. 
Yzerboy LOSES agsin.

#Yzerboycantbuildawinner. 

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Lol!  Okay... You and Stawns should hang.  

We didn't need another Hughes. 

We need a shot suppressing, smothering defender that gives nothing for the opposition to work with.  He will be a Tanev with more physicality and slightly more offensively minded.  

Self soothing at its best.
The Sharks need a 3rd line Centre, should they prioritize that over a potential 1st line centre?

if you’re really, really lucky You can draft a “Hughes” type player in the top 10. 

every year you can draft a DD beyond the First. If Axel and Willy both shake out, the RHPMD will be worth far more than Edler Jr. Tanev gets paid $4M, Hughes is a bargain at 2x that. 

There is no need to fabricate good feelings.

17 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Willander played two more minutes today than ASP. Why would the coach do that unless he feels more comfortable with Willander?  

Willander is an all around Dman who can play in all situations. ASP is similar to Boqvist who went even higher in the draft. They are both PMD’s who won’t be able to defend well at the NHL level and will never kill penalties. 

Boqvist at 23 years old is still a 7/8 Dman who can’t play defence. ASP dropped in the draft for the same reason. 

ASP is a bigger risk reward. If a dman isn’t a prolific scorer during his development, there is very little likelihood that they’ll develop into a prolific scorer in the NHL. There are some exceptions but not many. The same can be said for an offensive defender playing defense. However, if they can’t score in the NHL, they’re not in the NHL. They’re useless. If Willy doesn’t score in the NHL he is a defensive Defenseman. Lower risk but doesn’t have the same ceiling. 
why am I explaining this? 

12 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

ASP is a bigger risk reward. If a dman isn’t a prolific scorer during his development, there is very little likelihood that they’ll develop into a prolific scorer in the NHL. There are some exceptions but not many. The same can be said for an offensive defender playing defense. However, if they can’t score in the NHL, they’re not in the NHL. They’re useless. If Willy doesn’t score in the NHL he is a defensive Defenseman. Lower risk but doesn’t have the same ceiling. 
why am I explaining this? 

Willander is on a similar pace to Cale Makar when he was 18 at the NCAA level. Willander is also an elite skater. So his progression is going just fine. 

I agree ASP is more boom or bust. But Boqvist is already turning into a bust so there is a good chance ASP will follow the same path. 

Not even sure why we would need ASP when we already have Hughes and Hronek who can play the PP and put up points. Tocchet likes his defence to be big and nasty. I’m pretty sure Tocchet wanted no part of ASP. And regardless the scouting department was unanimous in their choice of Willander. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Self soothing at its best.
The Sharks need a 3rd line Centre, should they prioritize that over a potential 1st line centre?

if you’re really, really lucky You can draft a “Hughes” type player in the top 10. 

every year you can draft a DD beyond the First. If Axel and Willy both shake out, the RHPMD will be worth far more than Edler Jr. Tanev gets paid $4M, Hughes is a bargain at 2x that. 

There is no need to fabricate good feelings.

What's your beef with Willander? Just curious. 

Has he done anything bad or do you feel he is another OJ?

A smooth skating RHD with size that can derend is a good thing, no?

As for worth, it depends on the beholder...

If Axel becomes a Hughes player, then yes, but if he becomes only slightly more than Rathbone then no. 

We need bigger D, and a bigger D that can actually play and defend, so maybe Tom fits the bill more than Alex. 

More importantly so does the Canucks scouting staff. Time will tell who will be the better player. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 2

Giving up our Islander 1st for Hronek was a great gamble that payed off. speaking hypothetically of such not never happening and still having that pick? It's not a given that we'd have picked ASP. In fact it's possible that the outcome could've been very different in the outcome of the previous 16 had we kept our 17th. But I digress.

It's no secret that we were on the hunt for RHD prospects. A draft not strong for such or even D in general. Reinbacher Simashev on our radar could've been the outcome. But alas..................We'll never know.

I'm happy we got Hronek and at the end of it all, we got our RHD man in Willander for Huggy's right side. And a bonus in D-Petey and Brsustewicz! (Holy moly. Had to look up Hunter's name. Never woulda' spelled it right! I'll refer to him as Bruzer next time.)

12 hours ago, LaBamba said:

Imagine Hronek with Hughes, which is considered one of the best pairings in the league. Why would you break that up?

I'm completely happy with every move this management has made since the Stillman trade. Nit picking one draft pick shouts negativity.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

Imagine Hronek with Hughes, which is considered one of the best pairings in the league. Why would you break that up?

I'm completely happy with every move this management has made since the Stillman trade. Nit picking one draft pick shouts negativity.

That and ASP is playing in Europe on big ice. He’s going to look good in that environment. Ver here on the smaller and against big bopper NHLers he’s going to fail. He will tuck tail and run back to the big ice. 
Willander is a far superior player. 

• Cheers 1

On 12/26/2023 at 9:27 AM, Boudrias said:

No shame at all. Russia is a criminal state and my hope is they are shunned by the world for many years to come. The majority of Russian people support Putin and what is going on in Ukraine. 

lol wow.  I’m not getting into this debate but all I’m going to say is. Stop watching CNN🤣

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

What's your beef with Willander? Just curious. 

Has he done anything bad or do you feel he is another OJ?

A smooth skating RHD with size that can derend is a good thing, no?

As for worth, it depends on the beholder...

If Axel becomes a Hughes player, then yes, but if he becomes only slightly more than Rathbone then no. 

We need bigger D, and a bigger D that can actually play and defend, so maybe Tom fits the bill more than Alex. 

More importantly so does the Canucks scouting staff. Time will tell who will be the better player. 

I have no beef at all, I just think he is a very average, normal player that can be acquired thru more avenues than an offensive RHD. I’d sooner take big swings and miss in the first round then to take a middle pairing dman. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I have no beef at all, I just think he is a very average, normal player that can be acquired thru more avenues than an offensive RHD. I’d sooner take big swings and miss in the first round then to take a middle pairing dman. 

I'd rather draft a defenceman who can actually play defence.  ASP is unlikely to ever be a legit NHLer due to how much of a defensive liability he is.

On 12/26/2023 at 12:34 AM, sassbs said:

It’s a shame Russia isn’t participating.  A lot of skill is going to be missed 

While I understand the ban, I agree that the tournaments have not been as exciting without Russia.

Add in the hockey Canada scandal and the tournament doesn't have the same appeal.

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Lol!  Okay... You and Stawns should hang.  

We didn't need another Hughes. 

We need a shot suppressing, smothering defender that gives nothing for the opposition to work with.  He will be a Tanev with more physicality and slightly more offensively minded.  

What's the matter?  You can't handle different opinions?  How insecure are you?

And I never said I thought ASP was a better pick, but it's a reasonable question given the circumstances