2024 IIHF World Junior Championship Thread

I think we can't compare Willander to ASP at this time well at least at this tournament. They are very different players. ASP is a home run swing like Hughes and Boqvist were. Where Willander is maybe not going to be the be the most dynamic D to ever play for the Canucks but we went for a guy who can play big mins. They swung the previous year with Lekks before they knew which direction they were setting the team on. If ASP hits his cieling there will be egg all over Alvin's face especially if Hronek puts the gears to mgmt. But Willander was a sensible pick. I wanted But but seriously I'm fine w the thinking behind the Willy pick. With a long term view of the team. Teams have roles and Willander projects to fill a huge role for us. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

I think we can't compare Willander to ASP at this time well at least at this tournament. They are very different players. ASP is a home run swing like Hughes and Boqvist were. Where Willander is maybe not going to be the be the most dynamic D to ever play for the Canucks but we went for a guy who can play big mins. They swung the previous year with Lekks before they knew which direction they were setting the team on. If ASP hits his cieling there will be egg all over Alvin's face especially if Hronek puts the gears to mgmt. But Willander was a sensible pick. I wanted But but seriously I'm fine w the thinking behind the Willy pick. With a long term view of the team. Teams have roles and Willander projects to fill a huge role for us. 

ASP can’t and refuses to play defensive. He’s a puck rusher. He will do poorly in the NHL. 
Willander is a lot like Hronek. He’s understated but when watched closely he is fantastic. 
ASP would have been a waste of our pick. Yzerboy can have another bustaroo! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

ASP can’t and refuses to play defensive. He’s a puck rusher. He will do poorly in the NHL. 
Willander is a lot like Hronek. He’s understated but when watched closely he is fantastic. 
ASP would have been a waste of our pick. Yzerboy can have another bustaroo! 

And the empties have spoken..

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, sassbs said:

CNN is an extremely biased media outlet as is majority of the news outlets.  
they report untrue facts.  Gaddafi was an animal, India developed Nukes only recently, Israel is innocent, America has never committed any misdeeds, Putin is the second coming of the devil and so on. 
my original comment wasn’t to spark a debate, it was simply stating Russia should participate as we are missing so much talent that can rival Canada and Sweden.   It’s not the same. 

I do get annoyed when I read comments about how Russia is a terrorist state. I mean for what? For invading another country? Then by that alone America should be banned as well no? They have committed more atrocities, more war crimes than Russia has ever committed.  

You didn't answer the question though...you threw out a bunch of red herrings to support your (unfounded) argument. Which, in itself, discredits your discrediting of others. I don't watch CNN (ever) but I was truly curious about where you get facts to base your decisions on. The failure to simply provide sources is enough for me.. A laughing emoji meant to somehow put others down and then a "I don't want to get involved" are talking out of both sides of your mouth. I don't want to engage elsewhere and that's intentional. I am not well enough equipped to and don't have all the information I'd need to take an informed stance. We need peace not more verbal war. It starts here, with us...the world won't fix itself until we all learn to disengage. Which is what I've done and will now resume.

So, back on topic for me...I find the tournament the same despite missing a team. I'm sad for individual players who maybe don't support what's happening...it's unfortunate for them. War is ugly. "It is what it is".

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

i'm just looking up and down at this team canada roster.. why does it feel like US roster have so much more high end talent up and down the lineup.. even sweden i feel is stronger on paper + they have the home team advantage.. i can see Canada only getting a bronze out of this

8 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm just looking up and down at this team canada roster.. why does it feel like US roster have so much more high end talent up and down the lineup.. even sweden i feel is stronger on paper + they have the home team advantage.. i can see Canada only getting a bronze out of this

Because you're right.  We'll need a hot goalie and good special teams to win this one.  Canadians travel well enough to negate a lot of the home ice advantage.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Because both Sweden and USA, are practically icing the same team as last year. While the Canadians only have one returnee. It doesn’t help that most of our high end talent are already playing in the NHL.

How much better would the Canadian team be if Benson, Wright, Fantilli, Korchinski, and Bedard were going?

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Because you're right.  We'll need a hot goalie and good special teams to win this one.  Canadians travel well enough to negate a lot of the home ice advantage.

For the first time in a long time Canada actually has a legitimate #1 goaltender, who can win this tournament all by himself. I think I read somewhere that Rousseau hasn’t loss a single game in his junior career, when his team scored more than 2 goals. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Because both Sweden and USA, are practically icing the same team as last year. While the Canadians only have one returnee. It doesn’t help that most of our high end talent are already playing in the NHL.

How much better would the Canadian team be if Benson, Wright, Fantilli, Korchinski, and Bedard were going?

For the first time in a long time Canada actually has a legitimate #1 goaltender, who can win this tournament all by himself. I think I read somewhere that Rousseau hasn’t loss a single game in his junior career, when his team scored more than 2 goals. 

still the replacements their talent level doesn't feel the same.. the narrative with canada is they have enough to ice 2-3 teams.

25 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

still the replacements their talent level doesn't feel the same.. the narrative with canada is they have enough to ice 2-3 teams.

I think Canada has the youngest team, many not even draft eligible yet. That doesnt mean they have less talent, just you are seeing and enjoying them for the first time.

38 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

I mean, they could. 

Over the years, Canada has shifted towards bringing more versatile players on the team to fit their role and not just the best talents. 

Riley Heidt is one of the league scorers in the entire CHL, and he didn’t even get an invite to camp. 

Edited by shiznak

6 hours ago, -dlc- said:

You didn't answer the question though...you threw out a bunch of red herrings to support your (unfounded) argument. Which, in itself, discredits your discrediting of others. I don't watch CNN (ever) but I was truly curious about where you get facts to base your decisions on. The failure to simply provide sources is enough for me.. A laughing emoji meant to somehow put others down and then a "I don't want to get involved" are talking out of both sides of your mouth. I don't want to engage elsewhere and that's intentional. I am not well enough equipped to and don't have all the information I'd need to take an informed stance. We need peace not more verbal war. It starts here, with us...the world won't fix itself until we all learn to disengage. Which is what I've done and will now resume.

So, back on topic for me...I find the tournament the same despite missing a team. I'm sad for individual players who maybe don't support what's happening...it's unfortunate for them. War is ugly. "It is what it is".

I read.  Do my own homework.  Various sites.   And no, not YouTube.    Also, my uncle has provided me with a lot of information as he had a lot of dealings with Russia on a daily basis.  Ret. Air Marshall Indian airforce and flew there regularly dealing with Russia’s high ranking officials.  
there’s a lot of information that I discovered that Russia is 100% at fault, but at the same time Ukraine isn’t innocent either.   Anyways I do agree with you on the other points!  And I do agree with you in regards to the players missing out.   I feel bad for them not Russia as a country.  I mean ovi will be retired next go around, same with kopitar.

anyways, moving on yeah.  I still stand firm that the tournament would be more beneficial with Russian players playing.  

17 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Every body on planet Earth knows both Fox and CNN are biased.

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

They either need to let Rusdia back in the IIHF or they need to scale back their tournaments.  There simply aren't enough good teams to really make it a competitive tournament 

Because of 1 team the tournament isn't competitive?

Canada

USA

Sweden

Finland

Czechia

Slovakia

All of these teams have been competitive these past several years.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Because of 1 team the tournament isn't competitive?

Canada

USA

Sweden

Finland

Czechia

Slovakia

All of these teams have been competitive these past several years.

And Germany is coming off a big win over the Finns. Plus, Switzerland is pretty good. If anything the depth of competition is the best it’s ever been.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1