Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko

Just now, Bob Long said:

yea its not ideal, just don't see anyone coughing up a 1st or top 4 RHD for him either. I love our new scouting staff, I bet they could find a couple of gems with those picks, or Allvin does his thing and flips then for that final top 4 d we need. 

I think something around Josh Anderson could possibly work but maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe even an aging Chris Tanev....

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Context, a 39 goal season born off the back of an unsustainable shooting percentage, he's likely more a 20-30 goal guy

Kuzmenko has also had a tougher year on a team who's been scoring a fair bit more than Washington 

He's not only not getting to play Boudreau hockey, he's come back down to earth 

Mind you I'm also more conservative regarding his value to us and his value to Washington, he doesn't look like a gamebreaker so much as a complimentary top six winger 

I think you're likelier to get an additional 2nd than Cristall

so two 2nds, a 3rd and cap dump Mantha? I'd be fine with that too. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

so two 2nds, a 3rd and cap dump Mantha? I'd be fine with that too. 

It'd probs be Boston and Colorado's 2nd round picks plus a third but I'd be thrilled, middling to later 2nds or not

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be interested in something like a 2024 3rd, 2025 2nd, Cristall and Mantha for Kuzy instead of trying for 1st round picks. Maybe we can try the quantity route and build for the future. 

The problem I see Bob, is that Kuzmenko can't even stay in our line up, and at his age, what you see, is what you get, so Washington can't expect alot of change.......so do you give that much up for a 1 dimensional guy that can't stay in a line up?

Edited by JIAHN
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JIAHN said:

The problem I see Bob, is that Kuzmenko can't even stay in our line up, and at his age, what you see, is what you get, so Washington can't expect alot of change.......so do you give that much up for a 1 dimensional guy that can't stay in a line up?

I think WSH might. They love their OV, and want him to break the goal record. I can see them overpaying with lesser picks for sure. 

31 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Still don't like the idea of trading Kuz when he is trying to work things out. Unless the Canucks get an offer they can't refuse I don't see the rush.

True but if he never figures it out the longer Canucks wait the lower his value gets. 

I am not sure exactly what cause him to drop off like he did from the previous season (and I think the topic on Shooting percentage is only part of the reason) but maybe it's possible this is who Kuzmenko really is another Fabian Brunnstrom.

The one doubt I have that he will eventually work things out (at least as a Canuck) is his age. At 27, you are basically who you are. 

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

True but if he never figures it out the longer Canucks wait the lower his value gets. 

I am not sure exactly what cause him to drop off like he did from the previous season (and I think the topic on Shooting percentage is only part of the reason) but maybe it's possible this is who Kuzmenko really is another Fabian Brunnstrom.

The one doubt I have that he will eventually work things out (at least as a Canuck) is his age. At 27, you are basically who you are. 

Sure his value might drop a little, but I rather take the chance to see if he can get out of his funk then make any unnecessary trade right now. It's not like the Canucks are struggling and have to make a move.

1 minute ago, Mando27 said:

Sure his value might drop a little, but I rather take the chance to see if he can get out of his funk then make any unnecessary trade right now. It's not like the Canucks are struggling and have to make a move.

Well Kuzmenko takes up 5.5 million of cap space, and we know Allvin likes doing trades so maybe getting rid of the cap space might allow Allvin to make a move?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I think we could get a 2nd for giving them an upgrade, maybe a lesser pick too

I think such a trade would probably be contingent on them feeling they need the cap flex moving forward,  or having another move lined up 

Zero chance they add Kuzmenko for a cap dump without adding. 

32 minutes ago, Rekker said:

I could totally see this and makes sense. I would prefer not to give up on Kuz, but if Tocchet doesn't want him, is what it is.

I still think management would be better off keeping the 30 goal scorer instead of the convicted criminal behind the bench.  Sadly, no one in the front office is professional enough to realize how much damage Tocchet's character issues are causing.  Letting this dirtbag actively sabotage Kuz's career is insane.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Allvin is a wizard so it's possible he cooks something up.

I was listening to the Canucks post game show in Sportsnet 650 if forgot who said it but apparently any moves the Canucks do go through many steps before targeting a player (scouting report, analytics etc.) and has worked out the last off season so far. 

Though one might counter ask if this process was in place when Dermott and Stillman were acquired 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I think we could get a 2nd for giving them an upgrade, maybe a lesser pick too

I would rather waive Kuzmenko and gain 5.5 million in cap instead of taking mantha and a 2nd.

That being said I would rather keep Kuzmenko than waive him.

Weird that Friedman says "Friedman likely mentions Capitals’ forward Anthony Mantha for salary cap reasons" seeing as they have 6.7 million in cap space. i dont see backstrom coming back this season (maybe for the playoffs a la Kucherov).

Mantha has a terrible reputation for being lazy.  No interest, hasn’t changed since he was in junior. 
I think that we have the luxury of playing the long game and seeing if Kuz can turn it around. 
‘No desperation on D atm as we are only getting healthier.
Good depth at Forward even if we are missing a natural winger for EP. Maybe the solution will be a revitalized Kuz or later in the year, Podz. 

Context, a 39 goal season born off the back of an unsustainable shooting percentage, he's likely more a 20-30 goal guy

Kuzmenko has also had a tougher year on a team who's been scoring a fair bit more than Washington 

He's not only not getting to play Boudreau hockey, he's come back down to earth 

Mind you I'm also more conservative regarding his value to us and his value to Washington, he doesn't look like a gamebreaker so much as a complimentary top six winger 

I think you're likelier to get an additional 2nd than Cristall

Sophomore slump is a real thing though. No rush to move Kuz unless we get something nice back. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I still think management would be better off keeping the 30 goal scorer instead of the convicted criminal behind the bench.  Sadly, no one in the front office is professional enough to realize how much damage Tocchet's character issues are causing.  Letting this dirtbag actively sabotage Kuz's career is insane.

Ya I'm not going there. But you be you Heffy, never change and I enjoy your posts. Lol

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He was a PP ace last season for sure. When Miller was on the half wall, he set up Kuzy a bunch.

Under Boudreau he was scoring electric goals and some good stuff around the net.

Unfortunately the PP has shifted somewhat this year.

He’s not getting as many second chance around the net this year but more importantly, I think Tocchett doesnt like that he isnt helping to generate much either.  

If he was generating chances or at least showing signs of driving play I think people would be more understanding of the funk he is in.

That recent 5 on 5 stat about shots against is a revealing concern imo