Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko

This is tough as Washington doesn't seem like an ideal trading partner, and I don't really think we need to trade Kuzmenko if it hasn't become a distraction and his agent would like him to have a chance of scenery.  He is a sophomore player in the NHL, regardless of his age... a whole lot of players go through issues in their sophomore seasons.

I think it would require a 3rd team involved and let Washington offload Mantha rather than giving him to us as a cap dump.  I don't think we really need him.  We can then use the cap space more wisely to fill a need (another D)

To Washington:
Kuzmenko

To Vancouver:
2024 2nd round pick (from Washington)
Iorio

To 3rd team:
2024 2nd round pick (from Washington)
Mantha

It doesn't seem like a lot for us for Kuzmenko, but that cap space for a rental this season and to give more room in the offseason to sign someone makes a huge difference.  If we make the playoffs and show reasonably well, there will be UFAs wanting to join the team for a chance to win.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Mantha would be in the pressbox here.

They’re trying to win this season. There’s no way they trade for a player that also doesn’t forecheck.

True.... what would point be, if you are trying to win, to trade a potential 30 goal scorer for a player that will be in the press box + a few picks?

If anything we need a roster player back, that can help the team going forward ie this season...

I dont see a world where we trade him this season given that our cap woes will start to get much worse in the coming seasons.  Maybe if the offer is too good to pass up.

If he cant get his play to a level that Tocchet is happy with I think we will be more motivated to trade him this summer even if his value has decreased even more than it has already this year.

Just now, Sell.the.team said:

I dont see a world where we trade him this season given that our cap woes will start to get much worse in the coming seasons.  Maybe if the offer is too good to pass up.

If he cant get his play to a level that Tocchet is happy with I think we will be more motivated to trade him this summer even if his value has decreased even more than it has already this year.

If we can get a big, tough, skilled, top line winger for Petey, then 100% Kuz Misdile is history. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Bob Long said:

yea its not ideal, just don't see anyone coughing up a 1st or top 4 RHD for him either. I love our new scouting staff, I bet they could find a couple of gems with those picks, or Allvin does his thing and flips then for that final top 4 d we need. 

I don't think Kuz is going to be able to play the game RT wants him to.  Let him play his own game and get his scoring back, then trade him.  

Would hate to see a player like that go for low value.

• Upvote 1

Just now, erkayloomeh said:

I don't think Kuz is going to be able to play the game RT wants him to.  Let him play his own game and get his scoring back, then trade him.  

Would hate to see a player like that go for low value.

If we clear all the cap thats fine, we can reallocate it better. Still a win vs a bad situation for him.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

If we clear all the cap thats fine, we can reallocate it better. Still a win vs a bad situation for him.

I think at least part of the reason he's not performing is RT trying to put square peg in a round hole. 

I agree gaining cap and reallocation it would be good, but even better to get assets as well. 

• ThereItIs 2

Way too early to give up on Kuzya. Way too early to trade him. Adversity forces people to adapt. Kuzmenko is trying but is lacking confidence and clear understanding about how to change his game. If he doesn't figure it out by the trade deadline, then maybe listen to offers, but don't just give him away. He has proven he can score goals, now he needs to learn the two way game that Tocchet demands. I think Allvin will be patient, but if he gets an offer that solves a problem or two, he'll certainly listen.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Got a couple years it sure would be nice to have Wilson on Petey’s wing. 

having big open ice hitters like Zad and Wilson on the team in the playoffs is an added threat to any potential opponent. We would be one of the grittiest teams in the playoff for sure. 

• Like 1