Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko

On 12/24/2023 at 12:29 PM, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yes, I am aware 😝

I think there are valid points on both sides of the arguments, but it all boils down to what's best for the team, and I wish the best for Kuz, he's a good guy and is valuable to the team.

When was the last time you heard the media dump all over a sophomore player, greasing the skids for a trade? 

That is my pulpit I post from. There is some skullduggery going on in the background for this animosity towards Kuzmenko in the media.

There hasn't been this kind of targeting since AV.

Benning era was all about selling that what was bad was not that bad and "oh look at the shiny new penny" player.  

If RT is going to scratch kuzmenko every couple games.. might as well trade him for whatever you can get. How is he going to get confidence or score if he’s benched or scratched at every corner. Other teams see kuzmenko scratched all the time so they will view kuz as a player Canucks have no use for and a cap dump. If you see another player in another team that the team is benching and scratching every game are you offering anything for them or are you lowballing them

On 12/30/2023 at 3:32 PM, qwijjibo said:

I found the source.  It's a Habs youtuber that's about as credible as Alflives. Which is to say he has zero credibility.  You can file this away as complete BS 

Is that you @Alflives??

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

If RT is going to scratch kuzmenko every couple games.. might as well trade him for whatever you can get. How is he going to get confidence or score if he’s benched or scratched at every corner. Other teams see kuzmenko scratched all the time so they will view kuz as a player Canucks have no use for and a cap dump. If you see another player in another team that the team is benching and scratching every game are you offering anything for them or are you lowballing them

I thought Kuzmenko was going to play tonight. Could've used his scoring potential. But he's gotta get back in the next game. No way they go with the same line up after a loss. 

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I thought Kuzmenko was going to play tonight. Could've used his scoring potential. But he's gotta get back in the next game. No way they go with the same line up after a loss. 

who knows.. tochett love his grinders and if given the choice he would grind his way thru 82 games with grinders who plays hard but can't score

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

The sad thing is that a coach that will let him play his game, the style that makes him successful, would probably see 20 goals & 1ppg from Kuzmenko over a half season. 

4 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

The sad thing is that a coach that will let him play his game, the style that makes him successful, would probably see 20 goals & 1ppg from Kuzmenko over a half season. 

i think we can all agree you can't expect every single player in this league to be a 2 way forward defence first type of player which is what RT wants. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northern_Nuck said:

While the rest of the team is expected to play the structure? 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BlueJays said:

While the rest of the team is expected to play the structure? 

No other player has the ability to score 39 goals other than Petey, Boeser and maybe Miller.  Might be best to let the scorers score and the grinders grind.  Why play Lafferty with Petey if Lafferty can’t even finish a play?  What is the actual point?  Did Lafferty actually help Petey tonight?  

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No other player has the ability to score 39 goals other than Petey, Boeser and maybe Miller.  Might be best to let the scorers score and the grinders grind.  Why play Lafferty with Petey if Lafferty can’t even finish a play?  What is the actual point?  Did Lafferty actually help Petey tonight?  

Lafferty's been good with net front presense and tip ins. But like any bottom six player, he's gone cold for quite a while now, hasn't he? 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He was able to finish 39 times last year.  Maybe if Tocchet stops dicking with him and ruining his confidence he can do it 39 times again this year too…

Every coach has their player that they seem to hate. Kuzmenko is Tocchet's player in the doghouse. Not sure what Kuz can do to get himself out of the doghouse, but they couldn't finish tonight, and they're playing Jersey on Saturday, they'll need more firepower than they did tonight that's for sure. Not changing a winning line up, I can understand. But they lost tonight, so I expect Kuzmenko to get back into the lineup for saturday. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Kuzmenko's value is low though now, isn't it? We probably don't get full value back by trading him now. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

Kuzmenko's value is low though now, isn't it? We probably don't get full value back by trading him now. 

Yes it is despite what ppl will say he’s worth. A player that clearly the coach doesn’t want on the team and eating up 5.5mil cap space. Who wants to help you out and give you a player you want for a player you don’t want? Or give you draft pick and help you clear cap space?

the only problem here is.. will his value ever go up? RT is dead set on benching him or scratching him every couple of games if he doesn’t turn into a selke player. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Every coach has their player that they seem to hate. Kuzmenko is Tocchet's player in the doghouse. Not sure what Kuz can do to get himself out of the doghouse, but they couldn't finish tonight, and they're playing Jersey on Saturday, they'll need more firepower than they did tonight that's for sure. Not changing a winning line up, I can understand. But they lost tonight, so I expect Kuzmenko to get back into the lineup for saturday. 

You're correct, every coach seems to find that 1 player they need to use as an example, whether fans feel it's the correct move or not. I feel if Kuzy figures it out Toch will move on to Hogs. So... Catch 22 I guess

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Yes it is despite what ppl will say he’s worth. A player that clearly the coach doesn’t want on the team and eating up 5.5mil cap space. Who wants to help you out and give you a player you want for a player you don’t want? Or give you draft pick and help you clear cap space?

the only problem here is.. will his value ever go up? RT is dead set on benching him or scratching him every couple of games if he doesn’t turn into a selke player. 

Unfortunately we're not privy to what goes on behind the scenes with the coaching staff and Kuzmenko. But your right, Kuzmenko can't get better if he's sitting all the time. He needs to get in tomorrow against the Devils. 

6 hours ago, CR7 said:

You're correct, every coach seems to find that 1 player they need to use as an example, whether fans feel it's the correct move or not. I feel if Kuzy figures it out Toch will move on to Hogs. So... Catch 22 I guess

I wonder why that is. Why do coaches have that one player they need to make an example out of? 

Höglander I bet you would be thriving and flourishing if he's given an opportunity. 

Maybe there is a second year slump for Kuzmenko. But I bet you he rebounds next season given that's a contract year. 

8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I wonder why that is. Why do coaches have that one player they need to make an example out of? 

Höglander I bet you would be thriving and flourishing if he's given an opportunity. 

Maybe there is a second year slump for Kuzmenko. But I bet you he rebounds next season given that's a contract year. 

I don't think you can apply the whole sophomore slump mentality to a soon to be 28 year old player who's been playing in a professional league for 10 years. What's happened is his unsustainable shooting percentage from last season has come back down to earth. This was a very predictable regression. Expecting him to continue shooting at 27% was never realistic considering the best goal scorers in the league average well under 20% 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

My best guess would be to show the players he's in charge, regardless of how anyone feels.

I'm not giving up on Kuzmenko, but if the coach does... 

We should have all been prepared for a goal scoring slow down. 26% shooting over multiple years is just not going to happen. But he should be a 25 goal guy, which at the moment we'd be lucky if he got 18

2 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

I don't think you can apply the whole sophomore slump mentality to a soon to be 28 year old player who's been playing in a professional league for 10 years. What's happened is his unsustainable shooting percentage from last season has come back down to earth. This was a very predictable regression. Expecting him to continue shooting at 27% was never realistic considering the best goal scorers in the league average well under 20% 

I can understand the shooting percentage coming down. Sophomore slumps aren't just applied to younger players. The NHL is a different beast compared to the rest of the world, including the self proclaimed second best league in the world, the KHL. So I can understand other teams getting a book and read on Kuzmenko's game and tendencies, which could explain his slump. The other factor too could be that he just isn't a fit in Tocchet's system, and the way Tocc wants his players to play. If we can get a good player in return for Kuzmenko that's a better fit for Petey's line, then we'd have to explore that for sure. 

59 minutes ago, CR7 said:

My best guess would be to show the players he's in charge, regardless of how anyone feels.

I'm not giving up on Kuzmenko, but if the coach does... 

We should have all been prepared for a goal scoring slow down. 26% shooting over multiple years is just not going to happen. But he should be a 25 goal guy, which at the moment we'd be lucky if he got 18

he'd be lucky to get 18, that's assuming that he's playing, and at the moment, he's not.