Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko

3 hours ago, CR7 said:

My best guess would be to show the players he's in charge, regardless of how anyone feels.

I'm not giving up on Kuzmenko, but if the coach does... 

We should have all been prepared for a goal scoring slow down. 26% shooting over multiple years is just not going to happen. But he should be a 25 goal guy, which at the moment we'd be lucky if he got 18

To be fair to Kuz tho last year he had a 27.3 shooting % on 143 shots.

If he ended the year actually being in the lineup over an 82 game schedule with the same shot total of 143 (last year he played 81 games and averaged 1.7 shots per game) At his current 17.8 shooting % he's a 25 goal scorer.

I like what Tocchet has done but the whole Kuzzy sitting thing baffles me. Petey could use his silky mitts to dish off to and if he isn't a Toc guy.. if nothing else he returns alot more in his actual trade value than being in the dog house.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 8:06 PM, wai_lai416 said:

i think we can all agree you can't expect every single player in this league to be a 2 way forward defence first type of player which is what RT wants. 

We certainly don't ask defensive defencemen to walk the blue line and score goals.  

8 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

I don't think you can apply the whole sophomore slump mentality to a soon to be 28 year old player who's been playing in a professional league for 10 years. What's happened is his unsustainable shooting percentage from last season has come back down to earth. This was a very predictable regression. Expecting him to continue shooting at 27% was never realistic considering the best goal scorers in the league average well under 20% 

I don't know if it's a sophomore slump as much as it's his shooting percentage coming back down to earth while also having other teams knowing what to expect from him on the ice.  There's certainly no way for him to play through this when he's barely allowed to play.

Dhaliwal mentioned the Canucks having interest in Jordan Greeway in the past, when discussing the the Kuzmenko trade rumours today.  Then this litte nugget appeared on Rotowire:                    Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 1:31 PM

Greenway missed practice Friday with an illness, Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News reports.

Hmmmmm.....could it be? Just waiting for Allvin's plane to touch down to announce it??

Edited by CaptainCanuck12

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

We certainly don't ask defensive defencemen to walk the blue line and score goals.  

life is tough as a forward.. defenceman dont play offence no big deal forward don't play defence? terminate his contract now!

8 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Dhaliwal mentioned the Canucks having interest in Jordan Greeway in the past, when discussing the the Kuzmenko trade rumours today.  Then this litte nugget appeared on Rotowire:                    Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 1:31 PM

Greenway missed practice Friday with an illness, Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News reports.

Hmmmmm.....could it be? Just waiting for Allvin's plane to touch down to announce it??

I highly doubt they're going to trade Kuzmenko for a LW that has a career high of 32 points. If they're trading Kuzmenko it's for a RW. 

I'm curious.... Who can we trade Kuzy for that's got roughly same cap hit but also got offensive talent and is willing to forecheck hard?? So basically we can only expect a bottom 6 guy that can please Toc...

1 hour ago, Dom said:

I highly doubt they're going to trade Kuzmenko for a LW that has a career high of 32 points. If they're trading Kuzmenko it's for a RW. 

It doesn't mean it is a 1 for 1....

Greenway and Tuch are Buffalo players that would be the kind of targets Allvin seems to be after.

Buffalo is near the bottom of the standings again.  If there is some deal for Tuch and Greenway (with $1 million retained on Greenway to make the money work) for Hoglander, Kuzmenko, and some futures from us (picks or prospects)... that basically finishes our roster for a run when Soucy gets back.  Buffalo gets a different mix plus futures to use themselves or as currency.

Mikheyev-Petterson-Tuch
Greenway-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Lafferty-Suter-Aman

I take that forward group with a mix of size and skill to not wear down in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

It doesn't mean it is a 1 for 1....

Greenway and Tuch are Buffalo players that would be the kind of targets Allvin seems to be after.

Buffalo is near the bottom of the standings again.  If there is some deal for Tuch and Greenway (with $1 million retained on Greenway to make the money work) for Hoglander, Kuzmenko, and some futures from us (picks or prospects)... that basically finishes our roster for a run when Soucy gets back.  Buffalo gets a different mix plus futures to use themselves or as currency.

Mikheyev-Petterson-Tuch
Greenway-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Blueger-Garland
Lafferty-Suter-Aman

I take that forward group with a mix of size and skill to not wear down in the playoffs.

Tuch wouldn't come cheap.   Would definitely be a significant amount of "some futures."

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Tuch wouldn't come cheap.   Would definitely be a significant amount of "some futures."

Yep, you would be looking at our 1st, a later pick, and probably a good prospect “hopefully” outside our top guys of the Swedish trio and Brustewicz (however you spell that).

You have to be pretty sure that our pick will be pretty late in the round.

Those top four prospects are trending to be almost sure NHLers and even with a solid chance of being in the top half of your lineup.  That gives some breathing room so move other futures.  

Being able to slot even one of those young ELC guys per year over the next four years and have them play meaningful roles gives a whole different outlook to the Canucks future.

Garland and Cole/Myers move out and are replaced by Lekkerimaki and Petterson.  Then you slot in the other two guys as they are ready instead of filling those holes with expensive UFAs.

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

I don't think you can apply the whole sophomore slump mentality to a soon to be 28 year old player who's been playing in a professional league for 10 years. What's happened is his unsustainable shooting percentage from last season has come back down to earth. This was a very predictable regression. Expecting him to continue shooting at 27% was never realistic considering the best goal scorers in the league average well under 20% 

Boeser is over 23% this year and his career average is 13%. So he is also due for a major regression. Boeser this year is doing what Kuzmenko did last year. Which is why I’m not too excited about signing him to a long term deal. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boeser is over 23% this year and his career average is 13%. So he is also due for a major regression. Boeser this year is doing what Kuzmenko did last year. Which is why I’m not too excited about signing him to a long term deal. 

Yeah i dont think it will be possible to extend brock anyways. Boesers deal expires right as the OEL penalty goes up to 4.76mil then right after those 2 peak years Quinns contract expires and he will be in for an astronomical raise.

These things come along with having a great team, you have to move on from pieces you would rather not. Usually it's the bottom half of the lineups and wingers before centers and dmen.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, Boeser is also due for a regression as 23% isn't sustainable either. However, Boeser is currently on pace for 52 goals and a regression to 13% would still be 30 goals. That's still very solid and quite a bit better than Kuzmenko's 20 goal pace this season. Also Boeser's hit 16% shooting percentage in three previous seasons which would put him at 35 goal pace. Obviously we shouldn't be treating Boeser as suddenly a perennial 50 goal candidate, but he does seem reinvigorated and a return to a 2021 form Boeser (when he led the team in points) consistently is still pretty solid.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Yes, Boeser is also due for a regression as 23% isn't sustainable either. However, Boeser is currently on pace for 52 goals and a regression to 13% would still be 30 goals. That's still very solid and quite a bit better than Kuzmenko's 20 goal pace this season. Also Boeser's hit 16% shooting percentage in three previous seasons which would put him at 35 goal pace. Obviously we shouldn't be treating Boeser as suddenly a perennial 50 goal candidate, but he does seem reinvigorated and a return to a 2021 form Boeser (when he led the team in points) consistently is still pretty solid.

Boeser averages over 18 minutes a night. Kuzmenko only 14 minutes. So Boeser has a lot more opportunities to score goals. Boeser is basically a 30 goal scorer. With more ice time and more shots Kuzmenko should be around that same number. 

Yup. Totally agree. It's awesome what he's doing right now but it's not sustainable 

• Cheers 1

Good thing we may have a cheap scoring winger coming up the pipeline that may be ready for primetime in two years!

Having one ELC player a year who can come in and replace an expiring expensive veteran is how you keep a window open.

At the very least because of it, if they still want to re-sign Boeser they aren’t over a barrel and would have an easier time walking away from a number they don’t like.  Leverage counts for a lot in negotiations (which is why Petterson isn’t signing a $10 million AAV max term contract like folks are dreaming about).

The Kuzmenko rumour going around I have seen more recently is for Crouse and a 2nd round pick.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

The Kuzmenko rumour going around I have seen more recently is for Crouse and a 2nd round pick.

That would be a good addition. 
A Big solid forward that seems like a Tocc type guy. 

• ThereItIs 1

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

Good thing we may have a cheap scoring winger coming up the pipeline that may be ready for primetime in two years!

Having one ELC player a year who can come in and replace an expiring expensive veteran is how you keep a window open.

At the very least because of it, if they still want to re-sign Boeser they aren’t over a barrel and would have an easier time walking away from a number they don’t like.  Leverage counts for a lot in negotiations (which is why Petterson isn’t signing a $10 million AAV max term contract like folks are dreaming about).

Has this been verified?  Crouse is literally one of my favourite players in the NHL. I’d be driving Kuzy to the airport myself if this were true.