Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Trading Kuz to the Capitals to acquire assets that another team wants would be the move.  Grabbing picks and prospects that we could flip to STL for Buchnevich would be great.

True.

Just like the Horvat trade.  Got parts and pieces.  Dealt some of that to get Hronek.  

Having seen how Allvin dealt with all the "trade Boeser while his value's low" smoke by doing nothing and waiting it out, I believe in his patience to wait it out this time, and when the time comes he'll add a piece out of seemingly nowhere that would help our team.  

If the deal revolves around Kuzmenko and Mantha, I'd need either Protas or Miroshichenko + pick as part of the return.

• Like 1

The caps aren't ready to go all in. They will trade vets for speed and scoring though as they still look big and slow. I don't want kuznetsov or mantha, i'd take carlson but too high a cost. I'd rather take back picks though i'd love to see oshie here with his grit and playoff experience but he is injury prone though only has this and next year's cap space. 

I love kuz but tocchet never has so no point making him miserable here. We could package kuz and podz for something decent i bet too.

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It could be more, depends on how Washington values Kuzmenko

They could always just pay to move Mantha themselves and fish elsewhere 

Any move is contingent on them being competitive going forward though, if they slide they're more likely to just wait for Mantha's cap to expire

Caps have 6.7 million in LTIR and Pacciorety is coming back (2 million). 

So they'll have 4.7 million in space, so they have lots of space to make it work. 

If we take back 2 million, it works out well. 

As others have said, I'd want a minimum of a 2nd round pick + player to make this work. 

If you read the article it says quite opposite of the title.

Caps seem to be happy with Manthas play of late and the Canucks wouldn't want him. 

The cap wouldn't work etc

etc.

I think there's 50 games left in the regular season and that's a lot of time for things to get better here for Kuzmenko.  

We're going to need a guy like him with offensive skills in the post season. Lots of time to turn things around. No need to move him just yet.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

Caps seem to be happy with Manthas play of late and the Canucks wouldn't want him. 

etc.

I think there's 50 games left in the regular season and that's a lot of time for things to get better here for Kuzmenko.  

We're going to need a guy like him with offensive skills in the post season. Lots of time to turn things around. No need to move him just yet.

Dunno. Is Kuzy forechecking on our 1st goal? because thats what made it happen. Is he taken to the cleaners in a game like last night where NSH is tight checking?

If Allvin and Tocc don't believe Kuzy can actually learn to play this way, no need to wait. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Sophomore slump is a real thing though. No rush to move Kuz unless we get something nice back. 

Its not just a slump, regression based on his shooting percentage last season was inevitable, Brock is the same this year and will likely regress from his nearly 25% shooting percentage

Kuzmenko's shooting percentage is now much closer to league average, if not a bit above it

The numbers have a way of evening themselves out, but a huge difference is that Brock shoots significantly more often than Kuzmenko

Brock has 23 goals on 93 shots and a shooting percentage of 24.7%

Kuz has 6 goals on 41 shots and a shooting percentage of 14.6%

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I would rather waive Kuzmenko and gain 5.5 million in cap instead of taking mantha and a 2nd.

That being said I would rather keep Kuzmenko than waive him.

Weird that Friedman says "Friedman likely mentions Capitals’ forward Anthony Mantha for salary cap reasons" seeing as they have 6.7 million in cap space. i dont see backstrom coming back this season (maybe for the playoffs a la Kucherov).

I'd rather get something that can be parlayed into something else (picks) and the cap space that opens up when Mantha's deal expires at the end of this season

Sets us up nicely in the offseason or frees up room for us to add via trade if we pay to dump Mantha on a team like Chicago 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

etc.

I've never seen so many people so quick to ship a 39 goal guy out. I mean, yes we are winning. Although relying on Lafferty,Joshua,Blueger, Garland, Suter and PDG to take us to the promise land is a tall ask. These players are a great supporting cast, but Kuzzy has game breaking ability. You need those players. Yes our team is first in GF but at some point our bottom 6 is going to go dry for offence and that's not on knock on those players. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

It could be more, depends on how Washington values Kuzmenko

They could always just pay to move Mantha themselves and fish elsewhere 

Any move is contingent on them being competitive going forward though, if they slide they're more likely to just wait for Mantha's cap to expire

Yes, good points, I agree, also inre maybe WSH will just wait for Mantha's cap to disappear.

I would like to think WSH does value him highly though, if not for the sole purpose of being a great add to the floundering Poutine lover's game; Kuz is a very likeable guy, a fellow Russkie, and maybe WSH believes Kuz is the piece to get Ovie going again(?)

3 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Yes, good points, I agree, also inre maybe WSH will just wait for Mantha's cap to disappear.

I would like to think WSH does value him highly though, if not for the sole purpose of being a great add to the floundering Poutine lover's game; Kuz is a very likeable guy, a fellow Russkie, and maybe WSH believes Kuz is the piece to get Ovie going again(?)

That's the confusing bit, why would Washington bring in a guy who's biggest contribution was his goal scoring to help get another goal scorer going? 

If anything Washington has had trouble adapting to the lack of a premier puck distributor, which they had in Backstrom

Washington needs to score more goals, no question, and maybe Kuzmenko could help them with that, but his helping Ovi get going in terms of goal scoring makes less sense

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I still think management would be better off keeping the 30 goal scorer instead of the convicted criminal behind the bench.  Sadly, no one in the front office is professional enough to realize how much damage Tocchet's character issues are causing.  Letting this dirtbag actively sabotage Kuz's career is insane.

Are you okay? 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Have no understanding of why they would want to sell low on Kuzmenko. Mantha sucks. 

Cause his value won't go up riding pine and being healthy scratched. Why hold onto an asset that will only continue to devalue? That 39 goal season is still really fresh. The longer we hold onto him the more that 39 goal season moves into the background of minds. Only real way Kuzy's value goes up is if he plays a more complete game or we fire another coach. If he starts playing a more complete game, we don't trade him.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's the confusing bit, why would Washington bring in a guy who's biggest contribution was his goal scoring to help get another goal scorer going? 

If anything Washington has had trouble adapting to the lack of a premier puck distributor, which they had in Backstrom

Washington needs to score more goals, no question, and maybe Kuzmenko could help them with that, but his helping Ovi get going in terms of goal scoring makes less sense

More so to make Ovie happy, to inspire him, show him that they are trying to improve? A new voice, who knows....

We don't know what plans they have, (re "puck distributor" potential acquisitions maybe simmering) and I know that Kuz wouldn't be the solution, no doubt, but he would be part of a positive change for the Caps IMO.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I still think management would be better off keeping the 30 goal scorer instead of the convicted criminal behind the bench.  Sadly, no one in the front office is professional enough to realize how much damage Tocchet's character issues are causing.  Letting this dirtbag actively sabotage Kuz's career is insane.

On a scale of 1-10, how mad does it make you that Tocchet has coached this team to one of the best records in the entire league?

Edited by 48MPHSlapshot
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

More so to make Ovie happy, to inspire him, show him that they are trying to improve? A new voice, who knows....

We don't know what plans they have, (re "puck distributor" potential acquisitions maybe simmering) and I know that Kuz wouldn't be the solution, no doubt, but he would be part of a positive change for the Caps IMO.

Caps would be better off going after a center imo, I could see Calgary's Lindholm potentially being a fit

Ideally they'd find a higher end passer but Lindholm has two 40+ seasons and a 50+ season over his past 5 seasons

Could see them wanting a younger center but they'll be hard pressed to find a team willing to move with a young top end center 

Calgary could also take back Mantha and eat the cap difference 

It'd cost more than Kuzmenko but with Backstrom gone and Kuznetzov underperforming center is arguably the biggest weakness in their top 6

He's likely also the best top 6 center available

Edited by Coconuts

41 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Its not just a slump, regression based on his shooting percentage last season was inevitable, Brock is the same this year and will likely regress from his nearly 25% shooting percentage

Kuzmenko's shooting percentage is now much closer to league average, if not a bit above it

The numbers have a way of evening themselves out, but a huge difference is that Brock shoots significantly more often than Kuzmenko

Brock has 23 goals on 93 shots and a shooting percentage of 24.7%

Kuz has 6 goals on 41 shots and a shooting percentage of 14.6%

So what you're saying is we should trade Bowser now for a haul while his value is high!

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Caps would be better off going after a center imo, I could see Calgary's Lindholm potentially being a fit

Ideally they'd find a higher end passer but Lindholm has two 40+ seasons and a 50+ season over his past 5 seasons

Could see them wanting a younger center but they'll be hard pressed to find a team willing to move with a young top end center 

Calgary could also take back Mantha and eat the cap difference 

It'd cost more than Kuzmenko but with Backstrom gone and Kuznetzov underperforming center is arguably the biggest weakness in their top 6

He's likely also the best top 6 center available

Ya Lindholm is the answer to a lot of teams' needs, he IS the best top 6 C available...

I just know that Kuz has value, and just as the go-to draft mantra is always "BPA", as opposed to "team needs"....acquiring Kuz would be a great add for them, even though he doesn't fall under their "needs" per sé, he'd be a good asset to have

• Cheers 1