Friedman Believes Capitals Interested In Canucks’ Kuzmenko

1 minute ago, Trebreh said:

having big open ice hitters like Zad and Wilson on the team in the playoffs is an added threat to any potential opponent. We would be one of the grittiest teams in the playoff for sure. 

Really like Wilson for us, especially with Petey. But concerned his term could collapse our window. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I think it would require a 3rd team involved and let Washington offload Mantha rather than giving him to us as a cap dump.  I don't think we really need him.  We can then use the cap space more wisely to fill a need (another D)

With Backstrom on permanent LTIR the Caps have plenty of cap space to take Kuzmenko without offloading Mantha.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

I don't think a trade is happening anytime soon, I think we are holding pat until we get the value we want or a player we want becomes available... likely we are soliciting teams for the player we are seeking... Alvin is a hard worker and smart, the way he jumped all over the corey perry mishap. He gave calgary what they were looking for (no retention)

and it worked out, because Zadorov>>>Beauvillier....   and all it cost us was a 3rd round pick to upgrade.

I think we are waiting on is the playoff race TBH, alot of teams looking to improve and others just waiting for more offers as teams get more desperate to improve their club heading into the TDL. My guess is PA was given a nice deserved break after the zadorov trade and was given some wisdom from his Boss, about forcing a square peg through some circle BS...

I think teams have realized what makes a cup winning team and their is more than one way to do it... 1. hard and smart working players... there's no shortcuts...

2. Skilled players that complement each other. 3. offense is created through the defense and getting the defense out of their strengths. (chase me please)

4... (im not even sure i want to mention this one as far as i know this is a rick tocchet special, but lets just say that willie nelson's song

'Know when to hold em and know when to fold em' is something the canucks do better than any other team...

14 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd consider taking Mantha, he's expiring cap, but Washington would have to add

They have three 2025 2nd's, could always trade Kuzmenko for Mantha+ and then pay to dump Mantha on a bottom feeder or just wait it out

Could open space for a more significant move if Allvin is inclined to make one

Would free up cap space, if Kuzmenko isn't in the top six it's not as if we'd be losing much

i don't think any team is going to add for kuzmenko given the situation with the canucks... i mean why would they.. it's either the canucks trade him for almost nothing.. or have his cap sit in the pressbox because RT won't play him. So teams can afford to lowball.. capital will prolly say mantha and a 7th or kick rock

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd rather get something that can be parlayed into something else (picks) and the cap space that opens up when Mantha's deal expires at the end of this season

Sets us up nicely in the offseason or frees up room for us to add via trade if we pay to dump Mantha on a team like Chicago 

If you get a 2nd with mantha you would have to send it to the hawks to take his salary. What's the point?

• Cheers 1

IMHO Canucks are in a very strong position when it comes to dealing Kuz if that is what they do. His video from last year shows 39 goals scored. His lack of success this year can be written off to a personal problem with Tocc or the idea that his game does not mesh with Vancouver anymore. Interested GM's will likely think he can work on their rosters. PA can cruise towards the TDL with a possible ace in his pocket. We all know that PA & JR like to strike at the optimum time. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Glad to see the agent pour cold water on this - plan in place and he is happy in Van. Canucks will need a pure goal scorer at some in the season. All about getting him battle ready for the stretch run and playoffs.

Edited by Bob Long
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

16 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

My first thought is that the Canucks would be crazy to trade Kuzmenko.....but admittedly, I have to ask if he's someone who you win playoff games with.  It's a different brand of hockey for sure and the Canucks brass are clearly building towards a playoff performer, not a regular season performer.

He doesn’t look like a playoff guy 

good point 

IF... PA/JR feel we need to trade Kuzzy this would be my Christmas wish 

Kuzmenko + a mid round pick (3rd-5th)  for Alex Tuch. 

Alex Tuch is EXACTLY what our top 6 needs. 6'4 and 220 lbs 

He has high end speed, hard hitting and plays a north/south game which RT loves. He's great on the boards, wins alot of puck battles and hard to move in front of the net.  He's performed around .5 PPG in the playoffs and .68 PPG during the regular season. He's 27 & signed for 2 more seasons at $4.75 million per season.  I think he'd be  perfect for Tocc's :"systems & Puck Presure" coaching philosphy. He also offers playoff expierence and has a 5 team no trade list.

Kuzmenko  (IMO) has a higher ceiling and more offensively gifted but seems confused and stagnant under Tocc's system. I fully expect he will turn it around with a little more time & patience. In Buffalo, where they seem to be a little less structured (in their systems) he would probably flourish. Kuzzy has great puck skills and good with puck possession but I feel his creativity has been stunted lately because he's worried about making a mistake. Kuzmenko is sighed for 1 more season at $5.5 million. Buffalo might be intrested in this trade as they get the more offensive player (IMO) and are only commited financially for 1 more year...plus they could be looking to shake their team up.

I'm not saying we should trade Kuzzy...I really like him and feel with time he'll find his game abd return to form (or something close to it)

BUT... If Mgmt feel they need push all in then this is the kind of trade I'd like to see.      

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 1