[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars // December 21, 2023

Rubik

5 minutes ago, conquestofbaguettes said:

The Wild were playing well at the time. Preds were the hottest team in the league. Dallas, playoffs yes.  Don't try to downplay the competition to justify moving the goalposts here.

Like I said. People were arguing they weren't even gonna make the playoffs this year. They are playing well above original expectation to get 6/8 on a road trip like this considering. But now that's not good enough to be deemed great either. It's like only 82-0 will ever do. Lol.

A GREAT road trip it was, indeed.

😉

A good road trip for me. 

You can call it whatever you like.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

I think there's a ton of in-between room here where we can acknowledge Pettersson's... uneven level of play.  His offensive creativity seems a bit lost on his linemates right now and the chemistry isn't clicking perfectly.  Even when he scores he is not creating the same volume of scoring chances as we've seen him do before, either in the beginning of this season or large spans of last season.

But his o-zone entry is one of the most efficient in the league, as is his defensive ability in our own zone.  Those two things alone account for a big impact, even when he fails to make the scoresheet.

seasons ebb and flow. we've been here before, folks. it's going to be ok. 

4 minutes ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Pettersson did nothing wrong on the breakaway, he gave Joshua a perfect pass which Joshua should have shot... he had half the net...

If Joshua had returned the pass accurately Petey would have had the room to roof it, but it was late and therefore he had zero room.

Look at the play.

Agreed, except I think Petey needs to shoot that puck himself.  He's the superstar, let Joshua clean up possible rebounds.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, tas said:

his slack of being a ppg player while taking all the tough matchups on the road while clearly recovering from injury. onna first place team. there's a key word in there. can you guess which?

stop expecting perfection and complaining about a guy who was literally leading the league in scoring a few weeks ago. give your head a shake. 

do your job and support your team. 

I'm not expecting perfection.. I'm expecting a player that is nearly $8m on the cap to be playing like an $8m player.  He sure as hell better not be asking for $11m if this is his contribution to this team.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

Agreed, except I think Petey needs to shoot that puck himself.  He's the superstar, let Joshua clean up possible rebounds.  

Except that Joshua is red hot, already had a goal and an assist in the game.... that's the reason Tocchet put him out there.

So why wouldn't Petey put the puck on his stick with half the net to shoot at?

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm actually going off the board to say I think on that particular play it was one pass.too few. petey had the time and space to go back to joshia, who wasn't in too deep. coulda have teed him up for a wide open net. 

edit: guess it's not that off the board. 

Edited by tas

Just now, -Buzzsaw- said:

Except that Joshua is red hot, already had a goal and an assist in the game.... that's the reason Tocchet put him out there.

So why wouldn't Petey put the puck on his stick with half the net to shoot at?

Joshua was too far out to say the net was half open.  Doubtful he'd have scored from there.  Petey is the 100 point guy, he's the one I want shooting the puck on a breakaway

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The #2 v #3 series is always gonna be tough. 

But hey, if they are good, they can beat any team.   

With so many games vs LAK and Vegas still left, it's gonna be a good race to the end even when Nux are likely to clinch a playoff spot. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tas said:

I'm actually going off the board to say I think on that particular play it was one pass.too few. petey had the time and space to go back to joshia, who wasn't in too deep. coulda have teed him up for a wide open net. 

I thought that too, but Petey was in too tight, imo, to go back to Joshua.  But, it would have been a nice play 

Still, Petey should have shot the puck

3 minutes ago, tas said:

seasons ebb and flow. we've been here before, folks. it's going to be ok. 

Yeah, and it's okay to talk about that ebb and flow.  Like right now - that third line is playing out of their fucking minds.  That deserves praise.  And when a line playing more shifts and more offensive minutes fails to score consistently, that deserves some criticism too.

Maybe not the degree that some are hinting at here, but it's valid, man.

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm not expecting perfection.. I'm expecting a player that is nearly $8m on the cap to be playing like an $8m player.  He sure as hell better not be asking for $11m if this is his contribution to this team.

he makes less money than every player who has more points than him. 

sounds a little like perfection. 

1 minute ago, Miss Korea said:

Yeah, and it's okay to talk about that ebb and flow.  Like right now - that third line is playing out of their fucking minds.  That deserves praise.  And when a line playing more shifts and more offensive minutes fails to score consistently, that deserves some criticism too.

Maybe not the degree that some are hinting at here, but it's valid, man.

I'll never understand the point or value in picking out the negatives in an overwhelmingly positive situation.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

he makes less money than every player who has more points than him. 

sounds a little like perfection. 

So you honestly feel like he's earning his keep right now?  Blows my mind that there are people that are completely blinded by his performance in the first 13 games of this season.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I thought that too, but Petey was in too tight, imo, to go back to Joshua.  But, it would have been a nice play 

I honestly think petey was being "selfish" in a positive way. like, wants the deciding moment on his stick. I'll never begrudge the guy for it. 

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Petey would've been better off just going in alone honestly. Puck was moved back/forth too soon.

Oh well, what are you gunna do hat tip to Wedgewood.

• Vintage 1

Just now, tas said:

I'll never understand the point or value in picking out the negatives in an overwhelmingly positive situation.

Because it's a forum and we technically did lose a game where we were outshot.  Even the best teams in any sport aren't going to complacent with everything.

As an example, we have won a lot of games with Kuzmenko scratched.  It's not great to see, right?  What I'm trying to say is that it should be okay to discuss some negative aspects of the team, particularly after a loss.  But you're right in that the big picture is overwhelmingly positive.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2