[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars // December 21, 2023

Rubik

Just now, tas said:

so if being a top 10 player who is also defensively solid, plays in all situations, isn't worth $10 mil, go ahead and convince me that anybody is. 

Fanboy much?  He hasn't played that way for awhile.  Unless you feel a 68 point pace over the last 20 games is top 10.  He hasn't even been as solid as he was earlier in the season either.  He absolutely is not worth $10m RIGHT now.  

• Huggy Bear 1

28 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Tough to lose with less than 4 mins left in the game and then cant convert in OT.  Throw this one away, they got a point and sit first overall. We continue to score on third line.

I can understand the disappointment but really 6/8 points on a tough road trip with two Matinee games is really good. If you had told me that at the Christmas break we would be tied for first overall in the league i would have taken it.  

We started out hoping to make the playoffs. Now the expectations have been raised. Im going to watch the game Saturday night and hopefully with a win enjoy the holiday break. Raise a glass and toast this team they are playing entertaining hockey, winning more than they lose, and giving fans a reason to believe. 

Yeah, I thought that 3rd goal that we allowed was a bit of a poor decision to put in Cole here on a defensive faceoff situation and all of their forward was in neutral zone when it happened.   I'd rather a dump high out than along the board where high percent turnover occurs.

Just now, Dom said:

41 POINTS. I REPEAT 41 POINTS. He's tied for 6th in the league. My god LMAO. 

He went from a 120+ point pace to now a 98 point pace in a span of a few weeks.  Let's revisit in a couple weeks.  I will be more than happy to eat crow if he is still where he is come late January.  I just don't see any signs of him turning it on.

• Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Omg, I never said 100% of the time.  But to be slumping for a 1/4 of the season?  He's sure not the elite star we thought he was then.

so why in your books has Pettersson not earned enough leash to only perform at a ppg while recovering from injury for a little while when his team is perfectly able to help the guy out? has he not done enough? what does he need to do for it to be ok to not be up to his standard for a period? is he not allowed to be human? back to the acid mines with him?

like, jesus. the guy is a 100 point selke candidate who's only getting better. what makes you so great?

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Joshua.Guy said:

What Pettersson needs is to start fuckin hammering it on the power play. Need about 20 less passes per pp. Just get some fucking shots.

Speaking of hammering it, there was a play where Hronek was in the slot and tried to wrist it through a D who went down on his knee to block the shot. 

Im not even joking, first part of the game, Hronek needs to slap it as hard as he can. If it gets through, great, but if not, and it hits the guy's chest or arm, I bet you there will be a lane next time he has a shot. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Fanboy much?  He hasn't played that way for awhile.  Unless you feel a 68 point pace over the last 20 games is top 10.  He hasn't even been as solid as he was earlier in the season either.  He absolutely is not worth $10m RIGHT now.  

it's funny because if you slide that time window even a little bit in either direction your entire argument tanks. a little bit shorter window, ppg. a little bit longer window, ppg. for some reason, only the number 20 matters. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

so why in your books has Pettersson not earned enough leash to only perform at a ppg while recovering from injury for a little while when his team is perfectly able to help the guy out? has he not done enough? what does he need to do for it to be ok to not be up to his standard for a period? is he not allowed to be human? back to the acid mines with him?

like, jesus. the guy is a 100 point selke candidate who's only getting better. what makes you so great?

Because he has slumped like this almost every season.  It's not the 1st time he has done this.  If you've followed him this closely since he entered the league, you know he goes cold for extended periods nearly every season.  Like I said before.  If he's injured, then rest!  Stop playing the games and get to 100%.

• Huggy Bear 1

Pettersson goal sucked on 2 on 0. Passed puck too early so he can get pass back to get the shot on goal. 

He needed to hold on to puck and pass for Joshua shot. Or wait to pass for 1 timer.

Then got stuck up ice on Dallas 3 on 2 for game winning goal..

He hasn't been playing like he could. We know he can be an absolute beast. Not sure what it is but he falls easy misses a lot o passes. His game just isn't crisp. Not sure what the issue is but hopefully he'll get his game back soon. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, Dom said:

41 POINTS. I REPEAT 41 POINTS. He's tied for 6th in the league. My god LMAO. 

The other thing to consider is it looks like the Miller line gets the Hughes pairing most of the time while EP gets lots of Juulsen. I lost track of the number of times EP or Mik would cycle the puck back to the blue line only to have Juulsen kill the play. It’s been happening for multiple games now. He’s been putting up points regardless of his wingers or the less than ideal d pair he has behind him.  

to be fair it doesn’t look like he’s been firing at 100% during stretches of some games, but yeah to be 6th in scoring is still admirable. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Breadnbutta said:

Sportsnet Stats.

Pettersson is the first top line player in NHL history to not score on a breakaway in overtime. He also has the lowest shooting percentage of all time for canucks first line players.

/s

HKSR shutup

No 🤣  actually yes, I gotta sleep soon.  Too tired to keep arguing with my phone keyboard.

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Because he has slumped like this almost every season.  It's not the 1st time he has done this.  If you've followed him this closely since he entered the league, you know he goes cold for extended periods nearly every season.  Like I said before.  If he's injured, then rest!  Stop playing the games and get to 100%.

he's entitled. he's allowed to only out up 105 instead of 120. 

do you slap your kid for getting 95%

• Cheers 1

sick of stupid fanboys can't let anybody have a negative view of Pettersson, this is another classic game of him against a big heavy team, his only real chance was 2 on 0, but he has zero confidence on that breakaway. Joshua was on his off hand, why pass it? It is now clear that the reason he doesn’t get pancaked is because the 165 lb broom falling down all over the ice is actually BETTER for the other team than having him out of the lineup. Please, for the love of God, if you are afraid of facing the fking trues, at least don't lie to yourself

Edited by sxqhfeh
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think I agree. With anyone who thinks Petey's contract could wreck the team if its not reasonable. Tonight Joshua had a better chance at a goal and Petey didnt feed him.

I know we all love Petterson. but the truth is other teams would pay more out of the cap for him, would give us better picks. Heck, we could even get Bedard for Petey somehow, or both Jack and Luke Hughes.

If Petey trusts that he can win us the CUP this year he can hold out. But if he wants to be on the team he needs to do a JT deal ASFP tony beets correction

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What are you talking about?  

im just pointing the obvious flaws in your arguments... you know the ones you hand cherry picked to make petterson look the worst... you are either totally clueless towards how hockey teams defend or you are a complete troll... frankly your likely a lost cause either way