[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars // December 21, 2023

Rubik

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Management is in no rush to extend Petey. Petey is under contract through next season and then is an RFA. 
And JR is on record as saying Petey is a top five player in the league. 
Accept the fact we are a really good club and Petey is a great player. 
Bow to the empties. 

Petey is an RFA after this season. 

He is eligible for renewal right now. 

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm hopeful that the upcoming Christmas pause gives him time to rest whatever is ailing him. Heck, if I was Toc, I'd even consider giving him the Sharks game off for a couple extra days of rest/healing if medical staff thought it would help.

you could Just say it, put Kuz back in and scratch Petey

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm hopeful that the upcoming Christmas pause gives him time to rest whatever is ailing him. Heck, if I was Toc, I'd even consider giving him the Sharks game off for a couple extra days of rest/healing if medical staff thought it would help.

It would help a lot, even if it doesn't say where or how he was injured, if we knew how severe it is. Because I get worried when players play through injuries when they should be resting. It would also show Petey that the team is serious about signing him long term, that they want him 100% healthy and they have his best interests at heart.

Maybe allowing Petey and the Doctors to be the judge is what they are doing. But yeah, sit him out for Christmas break and let him rest the last two games might do wonders for him.

36 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Petey is not worth 12 mil in my opinion.  

The way he is playing right now, he is worth 9m x 3

Miller is outplaying him at 8m on a fresh new contract but the extra mil is for rising cap along with potential that he becomes a better player over the next 3 seasons. 

I don't want another Toronto situation on our hands. 

• Cheers 4

13 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Also I actually thought Petey had a great game. A lack of finish but I thought he played very well. 

Yup, he battled hard despite struggling to get through the checking.   A bit fatigued for sure.  JT too. 

People keep thinking the top two lines are playing poor compare to 3rd line.  But the top 2 lines always get the hardest matchup esp on the road.  End of a long road trip too, they looked tired.  But that's not the same thing as not caring or trying.  

Nux depth is showing and the third is having an amazing run.  This is when both Bleuger and Suter are back. Depth in the middle.   Amazing plays by Joshua and Garly of late.   Team is rolling.  

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, tas said:

I'm doing what I have to do to battle against the narrative around this team. I'm sick of it. it's been a decade of negative children screaming and whining and I'm done with it. I'm on a warpath this season so get on board or get out of the way. 

as far as the pp goes, sure. but it's on the other guys to adapt. 

and pdg has been scratched as much or more than kuzmenko, no?

edit: pdg only 3 scratches compared to kuzmenko's 4. the key difference is that when pdg isn't producing, he isn't hurting the team. kuzmenko needs to produce, and his lapses and lack of effort in certain areas are like a double whammy when he's not. 

The teams in the last 10 years are very different than each other. Hell, the team Bruce had is quite different than the one infront of Tocc.

If you have to be on a warpath then you do you. I dont know why you would frequent these parts if it brings you so much frustration.

Also, Kuz is part of the team. Being concerned about his deployment doesn't have to be a considered negative. Tocc has been good, I wasn't a big fan when he arrived but I have to give credit where it is due. That said, should we treat him as infallible? I think that is a blind way of following the team. 

But at the bottom of my point is that a poster submitted a little bit of info from a dude that has made a career off hockey reporting. That poster should be able to have an opinion without being called names. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Know you're responding to @tas , but that's a good point.     Do feel it's a valid thing to settle things down.    And that like tas said, it's about the process or system.    Kuzmenko is becoming a distraction.   Tochett has earned more then enough, to not question his process on whatever it is exactly they (coaching staff) are working on with him. 

As for top tier, yes he's done it once.   Wasn't a goal scorer in the KHL.   And wasn't really doing it during our hot start either, despite having the same opportunities he had with Bruce and Tochett last year.     A regression in shooting percentage was anticipated.   Top tier would be 35 plus year after year.    EP is just getting into that realm.     There are a lot of guys, who have one off years as well, and a lot of blue chippers who have off years too.    

This year has some similarities to 94 and 2011.   In 94 we played almost entire year with a major distraction.   Our "top tier", second line center, 6'3" Nedved,  was sitting out wanting the third contract money after one good season.  

2011, because like back then, we approached the Christmas break at or near top of the league, tops in goals for, tops in goals against etc.   

It's an interesting duality.    If we weren't doing as well, i'd be very concerned about Kuzmenko too.   Sure was concerned about Nedved back then.   It was very obvious, he had loads of potential.    Difference is, Kuzmenko is already who he is.   A skilled player, for sure, but is he actually top tier?  

Pretty sure he plays against SJ, because Tochett won't be worried about him not playing the system as much.   And the PP could use a boost.    It's a nice problem to have.  If Tochett, Foote, Gonchar and the Sedins can mould him into more of a two-way player, who's 25/25, there is nothing wrong with that.   Brock and Garland have added massive value to this teams fortunes buying into the system.    Can't mess with those lines.   EP for sure deserves a better wing mate and hopefully that's Kuzmenko or if not, Allvin can create a trade that works for all involved. 

As usual you submit great content. Thank you. 

Is it Kuz that is making this a distraction?

I believe nobody including the coach is free of criticism. So I dont agree that Toc has earned a right for us not to question his process with Kuz. It could be true that he is both kicking ass at this moment with team structure while at the same time mismanaging deployment of a very skilled player. 

The optics from the start with Toc and Kuz seemed off to me. I'm only half joking when I say that Toc doesn't like confident happy people. I know Kuz has to work on things but I am not sure he is getting a the smae respect and patience Toc gives to some of the other players.

2 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

is it? his 6 points? Hronek has 9 and the same amount of goals... when someone isnt doing there homework, something is wrong... remember Media makes money by getting clicks they purposely tell white lies or even blatant ones just to get clicks...

thank you... I will make sure to add Jpatt my list of condemned media to watch.

You condemn who ever you want. You opinion is as valid as anyone else's here.  Thanks for not insulting those posters that you disagree with.

Btw, Hronek is awesome. Was just posting last night about how he doesn't get talked about enough for what he brings.  

• Cheers 4

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I don't think Petey will be asking for $11 or $12 million. I think someone just made up this number assuming that's what Petey might get. 

My guess is he'll be reasonable, 'cause he's a good boy.

4 x $9.5

The agent will ask for the maximum he can get.  They negotiate. It's business. 

I don't get worked up about this at all and don't get why fans care so much.  The entire management worries about this, not me.  I just enjoy the games.  

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

Tas, I like your persona and I agree with some of your posts. But this ^^^ is hilarious.  You do realize you are speaking to a potential audience of approx 1400 on this forum (which has had a record of 830 viewers max at the same time). We are the outliers, the approx 1-2% of the fan base that are die hard, that spend our time debating and analyzing here (when perhaps we could be doing more useful things?). 
I enjoy and respect your passion (and everyone else’s on this forum, perceived troll or homeboy or neither).

But let’s be real here, your influence here (or any posters perhaps) will likely have no impact beyond here.

This is entertainment, the games, our debates, our quips and jibes towards each other, let’s enjoy it as such.

Cheers.

It took CDC what 20 years to get to 100,000 users? The core of CDC is now here. I'm quite happy with steady growth.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

I don't think Petey will be asking for $11 or $12 million. I think someone just made up this number assuming that's what Petey might get. 

My guess is he'll be reasonable, 'cause he's a good boy.

4 x $9.5

Lol if he signs that, no one will be on his case. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

25 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Also I actually thought Petey had a great game. A lack of finish but I thought he played very well. 

I haven't hated much of Petey's game this year. He's not at his best but he's still a stud.

However, the elephant in the room, one that might take a lot of bites to keep here, is that he doesn't seem happy.

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

It took CDC what 20 years to get to 100,000 users? The core of CDC is now here. I'm quite happy with steady growth.

That’s nice Ghosts but really not a lot to do with my post. The growth of this forum may change that eventually but not now.

if my memory serves me right, even with a 100,000 users, the max at one time on CDC was approx 5,300?

Anyway, in the grand scheme of things it doesn’t really matter. What matters to me is that I do have this forum (thanks @Ribs) to come to now for the debates, analyses, jibes and quips, jokes and funny gifs AND a bunch of characters that I enjoy.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Has anyone else noticed how often Petey falls over or ends up on his knees?  It's like his balance is off or something. 

I've started counting how many times he's on the ice throughout a game, at first it was kinda funny but then I saw how often 

It’s embarrassing and extremely frustrating. He needs to be stronger on his feet because each time he goes down he is out of the play. 

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I haven't hated much of Petey's game this year. He's not at his best but he's still a stud.

However, the elephant in the room, one that might take a lot of bites to keep here, is that he doesn't seem happy.

Unhappy with himself or unhappy with the team? 

Petey is a super self-aware guy. Most often he is his own toughest critic. I am sure that this recent spell of games doesn't go unnoticed to him either. He is probably frustrated because he wanted to prove that he was worth top dollars and finding out that he's falling short currently.

The Miller line with hoglander and Boeser is currently making 15.7 million as a line. Petey's line on the other hand if you count Kuz and Mik is almost making 18m and if Petey gets a 4m bump to 11.3m, that's a 22m line. 

Our 3rd line which is currently outperforming Petey's line makes 8m as a line. 

It really doesn't make sense to give Petey anything more than 9m. Until he can drive a line, 9 is fair. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I know the Canucks got a point, and I told myself I would be happy with that. But yet, when they lost in OT, I still got mad.

I had to go out, so I turned off the game with 3.39 left in the 3rd, the Canucks were winning 3-2. I felt pretty confident they would get another W. 

Got home and watched the rest of the game (recorded) and what a letdown. Maybe it was the way they lost. DAL owned them in OT, Canucks hardly touched the puck. And then the Petey breakaway, and fail.

Didn't DAL almost double the Canucks shots? Thank goodness for Demko. 

6 hours ago, Blue said:

Why too much PDO? What was the PDO of the 2011 team when we led the league?

We had Luongo in net and the Sedins. We didn't score all that many goals. It was probably up there.

PDO 101.3 https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/2011.html.  On that site, I couldn't find a way to see PDO for all teams at once, but spot-checked some most playoff teams, only the Bruins and Preds (barely) had a higher one.

Canucks led the league in goals (and PP goals) and also had the least goals against that year.

4 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

it doesnt matter if he scores or not.. he is the reason that line is so hot... 

Yeah, as long as they are producing, it doesn't matter how it gets done.

Just hope the monkey is off his back for a bit.  It would be nice to see him with a confidence boost leading to more goals

• Cheers 2

I wouldn't worry about Petey right now. I think he is trying to be an ultimate team player, not for himself and is the reason why he's not shooting.  I think that he is in slump and he knows it.   It could be either, saving up for the playoffs and he knows that he is a marked man every night and still manage to earn 41 points.   It is his contract year and if he wanted 10+ million dollars, he would have scored 2 on 0 right there and not making any pass at all to Joshua.   He made a pass expecting him to shoot but he made a quick give and go where the goalie didn't make too much of a lateral move and is set.  It is something Joshua will learn not to do and the same for everybody else is to not making a quick pass back to the point where it is easy to stop 2 on 0 because of it.     It is a very rare 2 on 0 for the Canucks.  I cannot even recall a 2 on 0 opportunity in a long time.  

• Cheers 1