[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars // December 21, 2023

Rubik

47 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

This management team isn't the rookie Benning era. Rutherford knows we aren't in the position to let assets walk for nothing. We aren't a perennial contender yet, our window is just opening up. Those picks are too valuable not to collect. We will need them when we are ready to go all in.

IMO Joshua and Lafferty are 100% gone if they continue to play the way they have. This team can't afford to pay them each 2.5-3 million to play in the bottom 6. If they continue their play, both could fetch 3rd rounders. Joshua maybe even a 2nd.

The good thing is Bains/Raty/Karlsson and Podkolzin are close on the farm and would come in under 1 mill. 

Myers is another who will be traded for a 2nd rounder. Then Allvin will take that asset, attach another for a defencemen he wants here long term. 

They will re-sign both DeSmith and Zad. Blueger and Cole will stay bc they signed here as UFA's for one season.

I don't think they're trading Myers.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're negotiating a new deal for him.  RT seems to really like him

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

I think it has to do with his camp wanting the rumoured 11-12m..

He's now obviously under a lot of scrutiny as to whether he deserves that kind of cash.

If he signs a bridge 9m x3, there'd be less expectations. 

Basically, what Petey wants is 3-4m more than Miller. At 12m, we can afford Miller, Joshua, Hoglander, Bleuger but the rumor is that Petey wants to make that much on his own and now, his game is being scrutinized more because us fans care more about the team as a whole than 1 player. 

No player will be a whipping boy if they play up to their contract values. 

If Myers was making 2-3m no one would rag on him. 

At 12m, Petey needs to have his fingerprints all over the game on a nightly basis. He's not there yet and that's what people are pointing out. 

I haven't read a legit source that says he's trying to get that (12).    Only the CDC, and now the CFF.    Maybe I missed something?   If so, can someone direct me to that.    Elias Pettersson, I hope retires as the leading scorer, HHOF, all-time Canuck.    And should be considering leaving some on the table for others.   I don't think he's a 14% plus cap hit player yet, but maybe can be by this time next season.   What he is for sure, is a game breaker.   And very good blue chipper.   That's enough to pay him double digits.   He's also critical to this cores chances for a cup. 

• Like 1

Just now, IBatch said:

I haven't read a legit source that says he's trying to get that (12).    Only the CDC, and now the CFF.    Maybe I missed something?   If so, can someone direct me to that.    Elias Pettersson, I hope retires as the leading scorer, HHOF, all-time Canuck.    And should be considering leaving some on the table for others.   I don't think he's a 14% plus cap hit player yet, but maybe can be by this time next season.   What he is for sure, is a game breaker.   And very good blue chipper.   That's enough to pay him double digits.   He's also critical to this cores chances for a cup. 

Yes to be fair, no numbers have come out of his camp. It's been the media stirring the pot earlier in the season saying he's worth 12m etc (most likely started by his agent as they are usually the sources for media and have a give and take relationship with them) 

I think it should be a bridge at 9m x 3 or long term 10.5m x 8.

Any higher than that and it poses a significant risk to the team future salary cap structure. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Had to stop reading after page 3.... so if some of you good people deserves a 🍺 or 👍, forgive me, but maybe later...

Damn some people, are you only happy, when the sky is grey?

After 10 years in darkness, instead of being ecstatic about the team being top of the league, its being mentioned about, which pace we have been playing at the last 20+ games...  sometimes words fail me

Is Petey the new scape goat?

Great game, lost in O/T, it happens... 

How about the positives? Last game on a 4 game road trip, points in all, 6 out of 8.... Nashville and Dallas are tough teams and the first two being morning games B2B... Get real here... Not to mention top of the league.

On a side note, this is the first game of the season, that really had play offs feel to it.... Whistles were not used as much as in other games. 

Great game to watch..... 

This team is growing before our eyes and getting better all the time.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think they're trading Myers.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're negotiating a new deal for him.  RT seems to really like him

They have been trying to trade that choas giraffe since the day they got here. He is as good as gone. They replaced him with Zad. Myers is having the best year since he signed with us.He isnt going to sign for 2 mill. More like 4-4.5. We will take an asset in the trade and then move saif asset for actual player they like. 

• ThereItIs 3

7 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

They have been trying to trade that choas giraffe since the day they got here. He is as good as gone. They replaced him with Zad. Myers is having the best year since he signed with us.He isnt going to sign for 2 mill. More like 4-4.5. We will take an asset in the trade and then move saif asset for actual player they like. 

That would be such a shrewd move... I would prefer they don't retain his cap and use a 3rd team that has cap space to "broker" the deal so that we free up his entire 6m cap hit and spend it this deadline on a legit 3D.

Seeing Z play in his 7 or 8 games here already shows how much better he is than Myers. 

That being said, Myers is build for playoff hockey and I would miss his size and physical play when playoff starts. 

Tough call. 

Im curious what this team looks like when Soucy is back in the mix 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

At what cost though. 

I wouldn't mind him coming back but I feel like another team will pay 3.5 - 4m for him. 

Honestly I get nervous every time he touches the puck… And Cole as well - I feel like Cole is always on the verge of coughing the puck up…

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, tas said:

robbing peter to pay paul, though. they need another heavy top 6 winger, really. 

Karlsson is close.  He was a scorer in the Swedish elite league (broke Petey's rookie goal record) and Colliton has been turning him into a very responsible 200' player.  He's worked on his skating, and plays a heavy board game.  Has turned into a playmaker too this season, with significantly more assists than goals 

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I thought that when reading your last post. He loves that pre-hit pop-back.

He's got a chip on his shoulder and I dont mind.

Just really hope we find a way to make him happy and keep him. 

Winning lots should do that, big props to Tocc and Alvin for getting the group stronger.

Now, lets get Kuz on Petey's wing, chug some pepsi and get to the next level.

Get Nylander - he plays on Petey's line for the Tre Kroner.... the two are buddies

9 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Honestly I get nervous every time he touches the puck… And Cole as well - I feel like Cole is always on the verge of coughing the puck up…

Yeah Myers, Cole and Juulsen scare me the most but Ofcourse Cole and Juulsen are our bottom 2 d men so it shouldn't come as a surprise... 

Myers is frustrating because he has all the tools. Size, strength, reach and a great skater. He has so many different ways to elleviate pressure. I almost feel like if he just goes on autopilot without over thinking or trying to do too much, he'd be a huge asset on this team. He seems to get himself in trouble when he tries to make things happen. 

The guy needs to be a 2.5m player and play with Z on the 3rd pairing with zero expectations and I feel like he'd shine. 

That would mean we move Cole and more salary like Kuz and get a legit 2-3D (8-9m player) and play him with Soucy on the 2nd pair. 

That would be one of the best d corps in the league then. Size, speed, skill. 

Ofcourse if Myers is looking for 3.5 to 4m, I'd be ok trading him. 

• ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, tas said:

same with podkolzin, coming back along after his injury. there are options coming. 

but in my gut, I have the feeling that this year, right now, is the best year we're ever going to get out of this core. they need to load up and go for a run now, like, today. 

it's been my mantra since the opening week of the season: strike while the iron is hot. 

I've thought the same. I really don't want to follow Edmonton's and Toronto's path of only getting out of the 1st round twice and once since 2015 and 2016 respectively with our core, so I say go all in for this year and next. We've been in the mud for so long we deserve a year like this. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

I know the Canucks got a point, and I told myself I would be happy with that. But yet, when they lost in OT, I still got mad.

I had to go out, so I turned off the game with 3.39 left in the 3rd, the Canucks were winning 3-2. I felt pretty confident they would get another W. 

Got home and watched the rest of the game (recorded) and what a letdown. Maybe it was the way they lost. DAL owned them in OT, Canucks hardly touched the puck. And then the Petey breakaway, and fail.

Didn't DAL almost double the Canucks shots? Thank goodness for Demko. 

It was also all the face offs lost.. Don't know all the stats but it looked like we were getting killed on the dot. 

Hard to play OT when you never start with the puck. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I've thought the same. I really don't want to follow Edmonton's and Toronto's path of only getting out of the 1st round twice and once since 2015 and 2016 respectively with our core, so I say go all in for this year and next. We've been in the mud for so long we deserve a year like this. 

there are just too many variables and windows are too short. you can't risk squandering what may be the best chance you ever have of doing it. 

• Like 1