[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars // December 21, 2023

Rubik

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

It was also all the face offs lost.. Don't know all the stats but it looked like we were getting killed on the dot. 

Hard to play OT when you never start with the puck. 

"oh, you're first in the league? that's great, but have you washed my car yet?"

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Scream GIF by Originals

no, really I'm fine with that 😆

I'm gonna be completely honest I've been a big Myers critic over the years but he's really seemed to settle in over the last couple months. I'd be more than happy bringing him back on a cheap 1-2 year deal and he's a staple on the bottom pair. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

there are just too many variables and windows are too short. you can't risk squandering what may be the best chance you ever have of doing it. 

Exactly. I understand the hesitancy for moving futures but I think Allvin's gained our trust with all the great trades he's made recently. If you can add to this core without moving Willander or Podkolzin I say go for it. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

there are just too many variables and windows are too short. you can't risk squandering what may be the best chance you ever have of doing it. 

Which is exactly why we've never won a cup.

Tampa didn't win in one attempt.

Las Vegas didn't win in the first try.

You have got to get experience in the playoffs in order to go deep.

Toronto is a perfect example of trading assets for playoff runs, and has one 1 round to show for it.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Tampa didn't win in one attempt

counterargument: 2004.  Tortorella is on record as saying that that team won because they were too young and inexperienced to know any better. as in, they just played, no fear, no hesitancy thinking that the other team is bigger/faster/more experienced. 

sure, they won a round the year before, but that's pretty equivalent to the taste this group got in the bubble.  

nothing is ever cookie cutter or linear. 

2 minutes ago, tas said:

counterargument: 2004.  Tortorella is on record as saying that that team won because they were too young and inexperienced to know any better. as in, they just played, no fear, no hesitancy thinking that the other team is bigger/faster/more experienced. 

sure, they won a round the year before, but that's pretty equivalent to the taste this group got in the bubble.  

Also the exception is not always the rule. Defensive depth and just depth in general will be key.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Toronto is a perfect example of trading assets for playoff runs, and has one 1 round to show for it.

Yup. 100%. A lot of people clamoring on about going for it but that's a mistake we made for the last 10 years running. Not sure I agree, but hey who knows maybe we're that close? The standings would seem to suggest that but it may also be year #1 of figuring out how to win in the NHL. There is a lot of hockey yet to be played.

I do hope we finally approach team building the right way this time when it's time to rebuild.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Also the exception is not always the rule. Defensive depth and just depth in general will be key.

they are fairly key, for sure. but I think the juice in the room is the biggest thing. and this team has the juice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup. 100%. A lot of people clamoring on about going for it but that's a mistake we made for the last 10 years running. Not sure I agree, but hey who knows maybe we're that close? The standings would seem to suggest that but it may also be year #1 of figuring out how to win in the NHL. There is a lot of hockey yet to be played.

I do hope we finally approach team building the right way this time when it's time to rebuild.

so you currently have people in the running for norris, vezina, adams, gm of the year, and outside chances at the hart, lindsay, bing, art ross, and richard. you have a productive, reliable bottom 6. you have a defence group that is bought in and playing solid. at or near the top in the league in both goals for and goals against. you have everybody pulling in the same direction and feeling good and on top of the standings. 

there is way more room to go down than up. 

• Cheers 1

The mention of the  🦒 doing so well  is for new contract. The time is now to seek a more reliable ,rough ,skilled defenceman.

Use chaos as an add in for immediate need. Retain if we have too but not for a rental.

Many have mentioned how well it is doing recently. Wishing Alvin and Rutherford read here.

55 minutes ago, tas said:

same with podkolzin, coming back along after his injury. there are options coming. 

but in my gut, I have the feeling that this year, right now, is the best year we're ever going to get out of this core. they need to load up and go for a run now, like, today. 

it's been my mantra since the opening week of the season: strike while the iron is hot. 

19 minutes ago, tas said:

so you currently have people in the running for norris, vezina, adams, gm of the year, and outside chances at the hart, lindsay, bing, art ross, and richard. you have a productive, reliable bottom 6. you have a defence group that is bought in and playing solid. at or near the top in the league in both goals for and goals against. you have everybody pulling in the same direction and feeling good and on top of the standings. 

Completely agree. 

We have guys on the most efficient contracts we will ever have them on before things start escalating. 

We have Miller and Hughes playing at least 2-3m over their contract value. Miller will continue to age and right now is in his prime and our number 1 centre. 

We have Demko making 5m but is more like a 7-8m goalie. 

Brock is finally playing above his contract as he is playing like an 8m player. 

Petey for as much crap he's getting is still amazing value this season at 7.35m

Joshua, Bleuger Z, Hronek all due for big raises

We'll prob lose Lafferty this offseason as a team will pay him more. 

In a cap era, this is the type of year you need to go for it. 

By go for it, it's not even much. We already have depth scoring spread throughout the line up. 

We need 1 key d man and possibly a great winger to help Petey. 

2 transactions could give us a legit shot at the cup. 

That might mean we need to free up cap space and trade Myers and Kuz for a combined 11.5m in capspace to spend on a Pietrangelo type acquisition that turned Vegas into a champion. 

We still have a good farm systems with up and coming prospects so I feel like this would be the year we could trade draft picks and B level prospects to get what we need. 

All Ekholm required last year was Barrie, a first and a fourth. 

That's like Myers and a first for a top pairing dman. They can then flip Myers to get a 2nd or 3rd.

Anyway, to run it back with the same roster next year would cost us at least 10m more (raises for Petey, Z, Hronek, Joshua, Bleuger). We will also be hit with the OEL cap recapture soon... 

Winning the cup is all about maximizing cap and squeezing performance out of every dollar spent. This team is doing that currently. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

He used the word energy so many times.  Team was tired at the end of road trip.  Stars were more fresh.  Low energy doesn't mean they didn't try or don't care. 

Several guys were sloppy, not sure if that can be attributed being tired. The energy seemed to be there, just a rare occasion where things didn't go

our way. LOL, if we'd had been the ones to score in OT, no one would be saying we were tired, would they...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

this is the mentality canucks fans absolutely need to have. turn your negative bullshit against the other teams. cut down their players and managers and coaches, not your own. 

this is our goddamn team. have some pride. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I don't know if there's a specific formula that every team needs to go through... 

Its not like there's a manual there to give the GMs a step by step instruction on winning the cup. 

Also Toronto is not really a good comparable. 

They are top heavy with no goalie and no D. Too much money allocated to 4 players. 

Way too many holes in that lineup. I think it was clear for everyone except Dubas... 

Same with Edmonton. Too many holes. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

Yup, I'm glad it's not my decision. We'll see what they do. There are positives and negatives to both approaches.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

Demko was channeling some circa-Kirk McLean 1994 that year.  Made Vegas sweat bad because that Knights team didn't have the firepower to put us away (it cost them eventually in the Finals).

Significantly better vibes with this current Canucks team as we haven't even seen Demko 'boss mode' yet.

JR reiterated how he was impressed by AQ flying to his house, spent 5hrs talking to him about the history of the Canucks, trying to convince him to take the job.  

Said something like just because the fan base is impatient, it won't change his patience.   Mentioned he understands why fans are impatient, long road with no cup win etc. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 2