[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Dallas Stars // December 21, 2023

Rubik

3 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Petey is also getting the other team's best shut-down line every night, usually against the biggest centers on the other team. Watch what happens away from the play, look at how he gets hooked, held, punched, cross-checked, slew footed, with very few calls. When the PP was clicking teams did less manhandling of Petey because they were afraid it would bite them, but now that the PP is producing at about 12%, they feel no fear, and it seems the zebras are more hesitant to call penalties drawn by Petey, maybe because the early season stats were so one-sided. All the manhandling wears a player down. Against Dallas, it seemed like Petey spent a lot of his 5 on 5 shifts matched up with Benn, who is big, strong, and dirty. The fact that he has two, at best, third-liners playing on his wings might be why he's not driving play the way he was. Nobody is afraid of Mik and the other winger of the week doing anything creative with the puck, Petey gets 100% of the attention. You notice on the 2 on 0, that the goalie didn't even care about Joshua, he hugged the right post because he knew the puck was coming back to Petey, it did, too deep to do anything but try to force it five-hole. The fact that he's still on a 100-point pace speaks to his amazing talent to drive play. Hopefully, Kuzy can figure things out and get back up there with Petey to help him out. A top winger for Petey has to be on PA's shopping list, AND SOON! I listened to the radio post game last night with all the Petey hate. Canucks fans are AHoles who have no idea what they have. Be careful, Petey could force a trade to Vegas where he could play with top talent, win a series of cups, and sign the contract he deserves, and the Canucks would be starting from scratch again.

EP isn't going to Vegas.    And won't force a trade either.     Do appreciate what you're saying about fans though.   We should 100% appreciate EP, Miller, Demko ... and a lot of the other things we've got.    It's a great time to be a fan right  now.  

• Like 4

On 12/22/2023 at 12:16 AM, cusm said:

I couldn't watch the game, so I looked it up as soon as I woke up. Ok, got a point, Vegas lost.... we are...can it be...yeah, first in the league!

Then I look in here and it appears as if the Nucks lost 6-0 to the Sharks.

A bit disturbing. I'd rather be happy.

join the fight. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

EP isn't going to Vegas.    And won't force a trade either.     Do appreciate what you're saying about fans though.   We should 100% appreciate EP, Miller, Demko ... and a lot of the other things we've got.    It's a great time to be a fan right  now.  

I wouldn't bet the farm. Ownership had a chance to tie him up long term on his current contract, instead they paused and forced a holdout, which I think left a bad taste in Petey's mouth. I don't get the feeling that he loves it here, but if he sees a chance to win a cup, he will stay. However, dealing with Canuck fans toxic attitudes has to be exhausting, even if you avoid social media and local media. It would be great to be just another blonde face on the street, almost invisible in Football and Basketball crazy places like Tampa, Vegas, Florida, NYC, etc. He would get to make a lot of money playing his favorite sport and be nearly invisible off the ice. Not bad for a private guy like Petey. Plus some of those places have very low taxes, as I've mentioned before.

52 minutes ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

I wouldn't bet the farm. Ownership had a chance to tie him up long term on his current contract, instead they paused and forced a holdout, which I think left a bad taste in Petey's mouth. I don't get the feeling that he loves it here, but if he sees a chance to win a cup, he will stay. However, dealing with Canuck fans toxic attitudes has to be exhausting, even if you avoid social media and local media. It would be great to be just another blonde face on the street, almost invisible in Football and Basketball crazy places like Tampa, Vegas, Florida, NYC, etc. He would get to make a lot of money playing his favorite sport and be nearly invisible off the ice. Not bad for a private guy like Petey. Plus some of those places have very low taxes, as I've mentioned before.

That was as much to do with Benning’s train wreck cap management. They got to the end of the off-season with Hughes and Pettey not signed and not enough cap to lock either up long term. Got a great deal for Hughes but the EP deal will cost us more in the end or cost us the player. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

That was as much to do with Benning’s train wreck cap management. They got to the end of the off-season with Hughes and Pettey not signed and not enough cap to lock either up long term. Got a great deal for Hughes but the EP deal will cost us more in the end or cost us the player. 

Benning actually (imho) was good when he didn't have cap space to work with.  It's when he had cap space "issues" happened.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

You make some good points but I'm not buying the fact that we had a chance to tie him up long term.  

We can't dismiss the fact that some players bet on themselves and want a shorter contract.  

I'm sure that Matthews could've gotten an 8 year deal but he also chose a medium term deal. I think him and Petey share the same agency CAA. 

21 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

You make some good points but I'm not buying the fact that we had a chance to tie him up long term.  

We can't dismiss the fact that some players bet on themselves and want a shorter contract.  

I'm sure that Matthews could've gotten an 8 year deal but he also chose a medium term deal. I think him and Petey share the same agency CAA. 

I agree - maybe a shorter term / bridge deal but for more money - doesn't tie up a team paying long term like the original Luongo deal - but the carrot would be a bit more money than a eight year average.  Think 3 is a bit short so maybe 4-5.  But then again, Im an armchair GM so what do I know.

Just Win.jpg

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic