Are the Canucks on the Path of worse case scenario? or is there a Glimmer of Hope?

Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

11 hours ago, HKSR said:

There's no easy road to a Stanley Cup.  There's so much parity in the league now that every team is capable of winning a series as soon as they make the playoffs.  LUCK has a LOT more to do with results than anything else.  One bad injury, one bad bounce, and everything can unravel, even for the best of them.  Boston was the best example last year.

You bet.  And a few years before that, TB laid waste to the league, and was upset by Bobrovsky/CLB.   Then won back to back cups. 

You make your own luck or so the saying goes, these days more then any other era really, some playoff luck goes a long, long way in a game of inches.    

The West won't be won easily at all.   COL and Dallas aren't easy outs either.     Last playoffs, it could have just as easily been Dallas and CAR in the final.   CAR was by far the better team and got stoned by Bobrovsky and daggered to the heart by MT.      Vegas and LA are obviously scarey teams too.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I have been watching the standings very closely this whole season as I bet most of you have and now that they sit 1st in their conference Tied in pts with Vegas but with the tie breaker of regulation wins 21 to 15 (which is just outstanding) and leading the League in points with Vegas @ 47 ( keep in mind that both the Rangers and Bruins have 4 games in hand with point % .750 and .733 respectively). 

As impressive as all this is it is what is happening below them that make the Canucks position in their conference get dicey. Which will beg the Question Is it the worse case scenario?

Let me explain?

So far it looks like no team in the Pacific is going to catch Vegas, Vancouver or LA. Which means the Canucks are going to be 1st, 2nd or 3rd in their division. That means the Canucks path through the playoffs works out in 2 ways. Either the Canuck place 2nd or 3rd (2/3 chance of this happening) and they play LA or Vegas in the first round. If they get through to the second they play LA or Vegas in the 2nd round assuming no great upset 8th place team knocking out the 1st place team in the Conference. If the Canucks make it to the 3rd round they than end up playing Dal, Col or Winn to get through to the final (those 3 teams currently lead the Central division and have the best odds at this point).

What makes this the worse Case Scenario is, Just to advance to the Conference final the Canucks would have to play the 2 best teams other then themselves in the in the western conference. 

The Facts, here are the Pt % of the top 5 other then the Canucks so you don't need to look them up in the western conference. Vegas = .691, LA .690, Dal .677, Winn .661 and Col .636.

Let me just show you one other thing that I noticed.

The Canucks have a very small chance of dropping to 7th place and yet if they where this would be their path instead. Currently the 7th place team Nash with a pt% of .576 would play Dal in the first round and if they beat them, Nash would then have to play Col or Win never seeing LA, Vegas or Canucks until the Conference Final. This is a far easier path then having to play Vega and LA then the top remaining team in the western division. That means if the Canucks dropped to 7th they would play Dals and then 1 of Col or Win and then what ever seed still remained in the Pacific LA, Vegas or other.

Just to show you that the Canucks have almost a zero chance at 7th place currently Nash and Ari currently hold the wild card positions (both central division teams) so either 1 of Cal, Sea, or Edm would have to come back to knock the Canucks out of the top 3 position in the pacific. However if they did do this yes the Canucks at this point would take the first wildcard 7th position. But as it currently stands Cal pt % is .500, Sea is .456 and Edm is .483. 

The Glimmer of Hope.

Canucks place 1st in the Pacific (which would essentially place them first in the Conference) The Canucks would then play the 2nd wild card position or the 8th team in the western conference  (currently Ari) and then the Winner of LA or Vegas.

Disclaimer there're is scenarios 3 as well. Ari Knocks out let's say Vegas and the Canucks beat LA and the Canucks Play Ari in the 2nd round. Less likely but sill a possibility.

Why is Playing Vegas and LA the worse case scenario other than having to play both teams?

The Canucks are not playoff hardened yet. As impressive as this season has been for them it is still the regular season and the playoffs all together is a different beast and the Canucks are currently staring down the hardest playoff schedule of all division leaders. 

As you all know, I have been hard on Coach Tocchet and will remain pointing out the flaws of this team and it's structure exactly because of what I have written here today. Tired can not be and excuse not being prepared to start games, Their PK being close to the bottom of the league their PP now faltering can not happen to a team that wants to succeed in the playoffs that is currently looking down a great possibility of having the hardest playoff schedule in the league. These flaws are just the recipe of a 1 and done team and I know that most Canuck fans do not want to see this happen.

Forever A Canucks Fan who one day wants to see a Canuck team bring home a Cup.

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MidKnight Ego said:

is it a fair way to look at it? The canucks skate way less miles than their opponents. A + B in this situation does not = c

I just try to be diplomatic...

I've had the discussion with him before. Fact is, that's how he sees it...

I called him out for being a troll before, but he denies and says he's been a fan for god knows how long, so if that is his opinion, then that is his opinion. 

I don't have to share his point of view, but its an open forum, where we all are allowed to voice our opinions, bio matter how odd they may be.

You know, I don't have to fight every battle that presents itself. Life is too short and Christmas is around.

Merry Christmas to you too. 🙂🍺

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Fair enough but I don't understand the intended spirit of his post.

As I was reading his post, he reminded me of someone that wants to play football but is afraid of breaking a fingernail.

Hockey doesn't work like that.  Life doesn't work like that.  

You give it your best and welcome all challenges no matter what they are.  

If you're looking for safety and security, the doors of Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch kindly awaits you.   

The Canucks need to be prepared no matter who they face and they'll need to "bring it."

internet seriously GIF

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

As for Vegas.    Doesn't take a deep dive to see they have added a lot of points this year (4 SO wins, one loss)  doing the loser point thing.   Or that after their great start, they kind of are meh meh.    As far as the postseason goes, they've got it where it matters for sure.   I wouldn't bet on them repeating though.  

18 hours ago, HKSR said:

There's no easy road to a Stanley Cup.  There's so much parity in the league now that every team is capable of winning a series as soon as they make the playoffs.  LUCK has a LOT more to do with results than anything else.  One bad injury, one bad bounce, and everything can unravel, even for the best of them.  Boston was the best example last year.

Yeah, and LA and Vegas have some veterans that have missed a lot of time with significant injuries.  

Doughty and Stone have both missed significant time. 

My dream scenario is finishing 1st, getting through first round relatively healthy, and then watching LA and Vegas fight each other in a gruelling 7 game war of attrition. 

Vegas and Colorado worry me the most. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tas said:

they seem to list every player that ever played for them that moved on to us college hockey (and many other leagues). the only guy listed as playing for und is 66, not 40. 

If you go to the fighting hawks roster pages there’s a column where it says what team the player played for prior. I couldn’t find any players coming from Merritt centennials either. I searched From  the late 90s to to 2007. Assuming he aged out at 19. Which would have been 2002 give or take. Nadda

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

If you go to the fighting hawks roster pages there’s a column where it says what team the player played for prior. I couldn’t find any players coming from Merritt centennials either. I searched From  the late 90s to to 2007. Assuming he aged out at 19. Which would have been 2002 give or take. Nadda

Paul Chadwick is the only person I can find that played for both teams. 

4 hours ago, Chon derry said:

3 hours ago, tas said:

Paul Chadwick is the only person I can find that played for both teams. 

2 hours ago, Chon derry said:

That guy is 66 yrs old. 

49 minutes ago, tas said:

exactly, yeah. 

The interweb is a cruel mistress.

30 minutes ago, footsteps said:

The interweb is a cruel mistress.

it took me all of 45 seconds and one google search to mythbust the guy's whole life story.

not that anybody, anywhere, would ever, in a million years, give a damn about the guy's credentials anyway. 

• Like 1

I'm just happy they look like they're going to the playoffs. Anything beyond that is gravy to me at this point. We don't even know if the team's a cup contender yet, although they look like they're heading the right direction at the very least.

So much overthinking here in this thread. Why can't we just enjoy what we have for a bit? It's been how many years since we've had this?

Edited by The Lock