[Signing] Vegas Golden Knights re-sign Ben Hutton for two years

Satchmo

On 12/23/2023 at 6:35 AM, DrJockitch said:

Oh yes Guddy-Hutton we’re going to be our dominant second pairing for a decade. 🤣🤣

Gudbranson sucks period. He dragged down whoever he end up on a pairing with his entire tenure in Vancouver.

He was often so out of position that you can't even see him on the screen when a goal goes in. People complain about Myers this season, but Myers at 6 million is still much better than Gudbranson at 4 million per. Just for refereence, Myers had more points in his first season as a Canuck than Gudbranson's entire tenure in Vancouver combined over 3 seasons.

I have went to about 15 live NHL games over the last 5 years and I have watched many shut-down/stay-at-home defenseman live (both playing for and against the Canucks). A lot of these defenseman does appear to be better live than on TV. Just to name a few: Tanev, Schenn, Manson, Sbisa, Polak, Ceci, Zadorov, Myers etc. A lot of these names I have seen fans made fun of online over the years, but watching them play live makes me appreciate their game more because they do some things right throughout the game. However, Gudbranson is the only one that I have watched multiple times who appears to be bad both on TV and live. I have never watched one game where I thought he played well or justify for assets we gave up and the contract we signed him to. Most of my memories of him at live games were just the dejected look on his face after he was on the ice for a goal against.

I am aware Gudbranson was better after he left Vancouver and had a career year in the 1 season he spent in Calgary which earns him another 4 x 4 contract. He is the one player that is consistently overpaid pretty much post since his ELC because of his draft pedigree and being a big RHD. Outside of the 1 season in Calgary where his contract was a bargain, I would argue the entire time of his career since his ELC that he isn't worth what he is getting paid.

Hutton had a decent rookie season but didn't make much progress (in fact, he regressed) over the next 2-3 years. To me, he would've benefit for playing some games in the AHL and not rushed into the NHL early. After bouncing around the league for a few seasons, he finally found his role on the a good team. Happy for Hutton, and I hope he continues to have a good career.

• Cheers 1