Noah Juulsen: Depth Guy or?!?!?!?!??!?

Sativika

15 minutes ago, Reznor said:

He actually isn't horrible. He makes plays (mostly in the form of hits) which are true NHL quality at times. I've seen some good lead passes. But honestly, on a contending team, he's absolutely a 7th D or perhaps even an 8th. 

I do wonder at what point we will consider the leading team in the NHl a contender. He is a 7-8 on our club, once Soucy is back he is likely 7 and if Breezy had been in the lineup he was also a 7-8 guy for us. 

We've got a cap crunch coming and 2 RD spots to fill below Hronek with 2 good RD prospects coming up in Willander and Bruzstewicz.  That gives Juuls 2-3 years of opportunity to keep growing into (and maybe beyond) the role he currently fills.  He's got some pedigree and is clearly coachable so I wouldn't rule out low end second pairing for him with Zadorov or Soucy.  He's already approaching those kind of minutes and holding up pretty well.  Puck moving is definitely a concern and that's where he'll have to improve.  As others have said, Cole is mainly covering those duties on the paring right now.  But our cap situation alone dictates that he's going to get a long look. 

• Cheers 1

Teams Need cap savers that are reliable and can play.

hes a good 5-7 option that allows money to be spent elsewhere  

hes only gotten better as this season gone along and he’s a Toc type player.

he throws big hits makes good passes however he’s not flashy or exciting so some think he has no value or isn’t an nhler but   the coaching staff of the Canucks seem to know otherwise. 

Edited by Combover
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

On 12/23/2023 at 8:33 AM, Gurn said:

I look at as -just the fact that this conversation is being held, means our depth is better.

either perspective supports my stance.

YaY me 🙂

Just about to write the same sentiment.

a “good” kind of problem

so yay me too 😉

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

If cap weren’t considered, he’d be in the lineup as our #6 when Soucy gets back, Myers would be watching from the press box. As is, Noah is our #7 and I think will allow Myers to be let go come free agency.

Now if we get another RHD, then that changes things obviously.

This doesn’t make any sense.  If you’re just going to let Myers walk in FA, and think Juulsen is better, zero reason to play him because of his cap hit. 

Tocchet benched Myers early in the year with zero hesitation either. 

But Myers is 2 notches ahead of Juulsen as an overall player if not more - and he’ll also command around 3x Juuslen’s salary next year.  So for next season there’s a good bet we’ll have Noah over Tyler and that’s fine if we bring in a better 4RD than either of them.

Considering most of our LD have experience playing their off hands, Juulsen almost certainly drops to #7 but will get back in as guys get banged up.

Could we see a Rome-over-Ballard situation by the playoffs?  Maybe.  But the vets are going to seriously play themselves out of their spots for that to happen. 

On 12/26/2023 at 9:27 AM, DrJockitch said:

I do wonder at what point we will consider the leading team in the NHl a contender. He is a 7-8 on our club, once Soucy is back he is likely 7 and if Breezy had been in the lineup he was also a 7-8 guy for us. 

Well if you listen to the media, they are reluctant to claim such. But to me, it isn't just the fact this team is in the #1 spot but rather HOW we got to #1: Through structured,  unselfish and hard-nosed play, and an ability to overcome adversity... such as the debacle with Kuz, as well as injuries... which we seem to have to deal with every single season. While many believe this team will regress (and it may), I feel that overall this team is the real deal and a contender as it stands - let alone if management manages to upgrade a slot or two.

So yeah, you and I are on the same page. He's a #7-8 guy on our team, when it's healthy. With that said, I'd sooner slot in Wolanin before I brought Brisebois back to the big club as our other 7/8. Yes, Bris has been with us a long time and is decent for a plug, but I feel Wolanin has played in the AHL to a degree that he deserves a chance on the Canucks. Also, Bris is injured on LTIR if I remember correctly...