[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks // December 23, 2023

Rubik

6 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

I may be wrong but Petey is playing more like a $9 million a year player than a $12 million contract.

This may be the best thing for the team as we can sign other players to raises without breaking the bank. 

Teams know how good he is.

Just hope some team doesn't get desperate and offer him 16 mil for 2 years. There are 8 to 14 that could do that. 

Rutherford and Allvin have to get on the trade market to enhance this team for this year because the window will be slammed shut very soon due to the cap and player's age's.

Canucks could match that but they have to move 12 mi in contracts to do it and might hurt the team too much.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Often teams play down to the level of their opposition. We gave up way too many good chances to the Sharks. We had played a lot of games in short succession and every distraction there could be was there. "2 points" is what Frank Griffiths used to say. I like "just win baby" as well. 

Merry Christmas all Canucks fans from an original 1970 fan. All the best and lets keep this ride going into the playoffs.

Wow, 1970. I joined the party 20 years later. In 1970 I was a huge Kharlamov and Red Army club fan

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

The team got Demko a win instead of Demko having to stand on his head and steal one.

I thought I saw something on one of Demko's moves, probably nothing but kind of reminds of his last injury. 

Goals through the wicket, didn't get across all the way.

Last time it was the right leg, this time the left. I hope it was just my imagination.

Zadorov had his worst game since being a Canuck.

Myers skates great and can he fly, Zarorov pretty quick too but he just doesn't look as fast but neither were outskated.

What a great shot by Kuzmenko, a laser. Good tip in, that's tough to do. He passed up a couple of good scoring opportunities setting up Boeser.

First place in points, a great accomplishment and Xmas present for the fans

heh, you know the team has entered a new stage when we pick apart the team after a win (vs complaining about how we let Demko down).  Even the high flying Habs teams of the 70s lost a few games (not saying we're remotely the same obviously).

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

Teams know how good he is.

Just hope some team doesn't get desperate and offer him 16 mil for 2 years. There are 8 to 14 that could do that. 

Rutherford and Allvin have to get on the trade market to enhance this team for this year because the window will be slammed shut very soon due to the cap and player's age's.

Canucks could match that but they have to move 12 mi in contracts to do it and might hurt the team too much.

He's an RFA, not a UFA.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

wth is going on with Huberdough? crap last year, worse this year. Does he just want out?

Or did Benning Jr. just overpay massively for a complimentary player?

Ya it’s actually bizarre, I think it’s a number of things, chemistry, team play style among a laundry list of other issues. Flames fans are pissed 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Great that Kuz potted a couple but his line had d-zone issues again. Close to X-Mass and the boys have played a lot of hockey so they get a pass IMHO. SJ had lots of looks and at the other end the puck was not bouncing for the Canucks like it usually does. 

What I noticed was how much the d-core was being activated last night. We expect it from Hughes and Hronek but Meyers, Cole and Juulson were pinching and even diving into the corners a bit.  Zad not so much. There were enough plays that I had to conclude it was designed by the coaches. Do they consider their high forwards reliable enough to cover? 

Back to my regular tire pumping on Juulson. He outplayed Meyers last night. In the above mentioned forays into the ozone he was solid without risking to much. His hit in the 3rd (?) was a cruncher. His puck recovery in the d-zone was solid and exit passing good. Meyers on the otherhand was leaning towards his traditional play. He went for a ozone skate in the 3rd when the game was still not locked down. Now if that is what the coaches are asking from him then it isn't on him. He did have a number of solid looks in the ozone. But his skate in the 3rd was out of line especially is + 3 minute shift. He failed on a zone clear in the 4th SJ goal and the resulting FO led to the goal. Border line panic on a few plays. The type of play can build on itself. All this said Meyers is a beautiful skater and covers ice very quickly. I'd love to talk to Gonchar about Meyers. 

Myers never even had a 2 minute shift. Hughes had 2 shifts over 2 minutes though.

Duclair stole the puck off Boeser in the neutral zone and Demko stopped the shot, that led to the faceoff SJ scored.

I have noticed Myers and Zadorov rushing the puck more often. Neither seems really committed to stay in the Ozone for any length of time though. Both are very effective doing it though, the other team doesn't seem to able to check them. I also noted they are starting to get more shots from the point. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Great that Kuz potted a couple but his line had d-zone issues again. Close to X-Mass and the boys have played a lot of hockey so they get a pass IMHO. SJ had lots of looks and at the other end the puck was not bouncing for the Canucks like it usually does. 

What I noticed was how much the d-core was being activated last night. We expect it from Hughes and Hronek but Meyers, Cole and Juulson were pinching and even diving into the corners a bit.  Zad not so much. There were enough plays that I had to conclude it was designed by the coaches. Do they consider their high forwards reliable enough to cover? 

Back to my regular tire pumping on Juulson. He outplayed Meyers last night. In the above mentioned forays into the ozone he was solid without risking to much. His hit in the 3rd (?) was a cruncher. His puck recovery in the d-zone was solid and exit passing good. Meyers on the otherhand was leaning towards his traditional play. He went for a ozone skate in the 3rd when the game was still not locked down. Now if that is what the coaches are asking from him then it isn't on him. He did have a number of solid looks in the ozone. But his skate in the 3rd was out of line especially is + 3 minute shift. He failed on a zone clear in the 4th SJ goal and the resulting FO led to the goal. Border line panic on a few plays. The type of play can build on itself. All this said Meyers is a beautiful skater and covers ice very quickly. I'd love to talk to Gonchar about Meyers. 

Agree with you on a few points, was nice to see that kuzy smile again. Myers actually looked great the whole game, if someone wants to pick on a d-man it should be Cole. maybe he needs a new pair of skates for christmas.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe smart move by PA to wait it out until we re-sign Petey because his value is dropping big time, he's playing like a 9M player right now and is technically our 2nd line center right now and for the foreseeable future. He's just at a 100pt pace right now but that's been slowly dropping the last few weeks. 100pts, two way play and his age probably means he should get 10M, but he could continue to drop steadily over the next few weeks after such a hot start. Meanwhile Miller is consistently still producing for us.

90 pts - 9M, 100pts - 10M, simple as that.

• Confused 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's an RFA, not a UFA.

Ya, I know. So was Tkachuk and Dubois.

One more year and he is a FA.

That is why if there ever was a killer offer sheet it would have to be for two years.

Two years makes it much harder for the Canucks to make the cap and improve.

It gives Pettersson a chance at total FA at the end too.

No matter the amount the most a team gives up is four 1rst's and if they think he takes them to the top 4 then they are only giving up #29, 30, 31 or 32 picks. A cheap price for a hundred point player only 26 yrs old.

Pettersson will not take a 16 mil 7 year term because it would lock him into not likely ever getting another cup shot. 

His 16 mil plus OEL's buyout would be over 20 million

Then Demko comes up

Hronek

Zadorov

Boeser

Kuzmenko

And a host of others.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Maybe smart move by PA to wait it out until we re-sign Petey because his value is dropping big time, he's playing like a 9M player right now and is technically our 2nd line center right now and for the foreseeable future. He's just at a 100pt pace right now but that's been slowly dropping the last few weeks. 100pts, two way play and his age probably means he should get 10M, but he could continue to drop steadily over the next few weeks after such a hot start. Meanwhile Miller is consistently still producing for us.

90 pts - 9M, 100pts - 10M, simple as that.

Petey's numbers are related to the players Tocchet puts him with, ice time Tocchet gives him and style Tocchet wants him to play.

I did a quick look at players he has coached before and all the skilled guys point totals went down from where they were before they got there and even after he was hired.

Pettersson has too much of a good reputation to have one 90 point season dictate his next contract. He is still one of the few in the league with more than a point per game career so far.

10 mil might be a lot right now but in 4 years the cap will go up by 20 mil, even 16 mil will not seem so much then.

But the Canucks will not be able to take advantage of that due to the OEL buyout increasing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheGuardian said:

Petey's numbers are related to the players Tocchet puts him with, ice time Tocchet gives him and style Tocchet wants him to play.

I did a quick look at players he has coached before and all the skilled guys point totals went down from where they were before they got there and even after he was hired.

Pettersson has too much of a good reputation to have one 90 point season dictate his next contract. He is still one of the few in the league with more than a point per game career so far.

10 mil might be a lot right now but in 4 years the cap will go up by 20 mil, even 16 mil will not seem so much then.

But the Canucks will not be able to take advantage of that due to the OEL buyout increasing.

We all love Petey but we love the team more. If he wont do a team friendly deal then he can move on. Maybe some other team can pull a matthews or mcdavid deal and wreck their own chances..... Hopefully canucks are smarter than that and want the cup, for more than just one year

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

Isn't it possible to discuss the game at hand, in an objective way without people whining about "wet blankets"?  When they play sloppy or outright poorly, what's the purpose of pretending they didn't?

Last night had its ups and downs and it's perfectly fine to talk about that.

eh?  I think you misunderstood the point of my post.  I meant to say its a great time to be Canuckfan where we're complaining about the appetizer when the main course was fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tusk said:

We all love Petey but we love the team more. If he wont do a team friendly deal then he can move on. Maybe some other team can pull a matthews or mcdavid deal and wreck their own chances..... Hopefully canucks are smarter than that and want the cup, for more than just one year

The name on the front of the jersey.

They won some games without him before and a few more with him.

The OEL cap hit will hurt.

IF there is any doubt or lack of change in EP's desires to play for a cup, or term then Rutherford and Allvin could make a trade that would be better than getting 4 first round picks back.

The team trading the high scoring player usually is considered losing the trade but if the Canucks take 2 years, make him available from the first day of his new contract, they should be able to replace quality with high end quantity.

Garland's play will make it easier for Allvin and his agent to complete the trade request now opening up 5 mil more in cap space unless a deal is dollar in and dollar out 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheGuardian said:

The name on the front of the jersey.

They won some games without him before and a few more with him.

The OEL cap hit will hurt.

IF there is any doubt or lack of change in EP's desires to play for a cup, or term then Rutherford and Allvin could make a trade that would be better than getting 4 first round picks back.

The team trading the high scoring player usually is considered losing the trade but if the Canucks take 2 years, make him available from the first day of his new contract, they should be able to replace quality with high end quantity.

Garland's play will make it easier for Allvin and his agent to complete the trade request now opening up 5 mil more in cap space unless a deal is dollar in and dollar out 

It will hurt less than paying over $6 million a season for a underachieving defenceman.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, stawns said:

Isn't it possible to discuss the game at hand, in an objective way without people whining about "wet blankets"?  When they play sloppy or outright poorly, what's the purpose of pretending they didn't?

Last night had its ups and downs and it's perfectly fine to talk about that.

No, no it isn't stawns, we've been over this:

Happy, happy, joy, joy.

Now get with program and dance brother, dance!

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

Ya, I know. So was Tkachuk and Dubois.

One more year and he is a FA.

That is why if there ever was a killer offer sheet it would have to be for two years.

Two years makes it much harder for the Canucks to make the cap and improve.

It gives Pettersson a chance at total FA at the end too.

No matter the amount the most a team gives up is four 1rst's and if they think he takes them to the top 4 then they are only giving up #29, 30, 31 or 32 picks. A cheap price for a hundred point player only 26 yrs old.

Pettersson will not take a 16 mil 7 year term because it would lock him into not likely ever getting another cup shot. 

His 16 mil plus OEL's buyout would be over 20 million

Then Demko comes up

Hronek

Zadorov

Boeser

Kuzmenko

And a host of others.

Uh huh... I'm not particularly concerned he's going to get offered, or sign, a 2 year $16m offer sheet... But you go ahead and let that consume you.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 3

14 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I agree, we thought that dealing Bo was going to be detrimental to the team and look how that turned out. 

Right now, we have two great lines, I am sure JR/Alvin could deal Petey for something that would benefit the team moving forward I am very confident of that. 

I would give him a "take it or leave it " deal and if he refuses? Then make the move to move on from him. The longer we wait, the more leverage the team loses. 

Edited by EdgarM
  • Like 2