[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks // December 23, 2023

Rubik

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

I'm against the Michigan, but for me it's about safety.

Someday a player is going to crush the windpipe of a goalie, because the goalie got back to the other post, fast enough to get a stick blade in the throat.

Could you imagine if that's the goal that get scored in OT to win a cup? It would be embarrassing for the league

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

Could you imagine if that's the goal that get scored in OT to win a cup? It would be embarrassing for the league

Chris Cuthbert "Wow, that forward really killed that goal".

after a bit of silence

Gary Galley "Oh no, it looks like he really killed the goalie"

37 minutes ago, 27 Percent said:

He's better defensively than Myers.

I think if we could get Hubers with calgary retention..... holy man we can get that guy going. I watched him playing with saint john sea dogs. He hasnt grown to what he can be, if there are any scouts out there. 

HOLEY CRAP I JUST FOUND OUT HE IS AT 10 MILLION BANANAS!  He can buy alot of beers in Calgary, maybe not so much in Vancover. Lucky fucker

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'm surprised more goalies don't go ape shit and push back on goals like that. 

Just start making saves like that:  Puck's in the air?  Just whack it right back.  Billy Smith style.  

If they wanna play lacrosse, they better wear a full facemask.

And a neck guard. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Goal_thecup said:

Just start making saves like that:  Puck's in the air?  Just whack it right back.  Billy Smith style.  

If they wanna play lacrosse, they better wear a full facemask.

And a neck guard. 

Smith would've made them pay. Go ahead ... Michigan at your own risk. 😉

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

5 hours ago, TheGuardian said:

Petey's numbers are related to the players Tocchet puts him with, ice time Tocchet gives him and style Tocchet wants him to play.

I did a quick look at players he has coached before and all the skilled guys point totals went down from where they were before they got there and even after he was hired.

Pettersson has too much of a good reputation to have one 90 point season dictate his next contract. He is still one of the few in the league with more than a point per game career so far.

10 mil might be a lot right now but in 4 years the cap will go up by 20 mil, even 16 mil will not seem so much then.

But the Canucks will not be able to take advantage of that due to the OEL buyout increasing.

Well it is only for 2 years its nearly $5M... after 3 years its back to around $2M again.

Anyway, If Petey is looking for $16M /year, then let him go.... especially, if somebody would make an offer sheet of 4 first, take it.

Petey is fantastic, but thank god JR is not being taken for a fool, which previous negotiations has shown. Benning may have been pulled around by the nose, but I doubt very much JR/PA will be in the same boat.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I'm kinda confused why he's falling down so much.

I remember the covid bubble playoffs he was a beast.. and also at other points in his career he's shown true viking strength and grit.. but lately he's looking like he did when he first came into the league as a young skinny kid lacking strength and size. 

He’s definitely injured he was a beast at the start of the season

9 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Well it is only for 2 years its nearly $5M... after 3 years its back to around $2M again.

Anyway, If Petey is looking for $16M /year, then let him go.... especially, if somebody would make an offer sheet of 4 first, take it.

Petey is fantastic, but thank god JR is not being taken for a fool, which previous negotiations has shown. Benning may have been pulled around by the nose, but I doubt very much JR/PA will be in the same boat.

Yup

All of PAs moves have been well calculated and deliberated upon.

One of Benning's flaws is that when he wants a player, he gets him whatever the cost may be. Like a kid in the candy store. 

I used to think Benning knowing what he wants and getting it was a good thing but am soon realizing that along with a lean eye for talent, discipline is required in order to construct a team in a cap era world

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Great that Kuz potted a couple but his line had d-zone issues again. Close to X-Mass and the boys have played a lot of hockey so they get a pass IMHO. SJ had lots of looks and at the other end the puck was not bouncing for the Canucks like it usually does. 

What I noticed was how much the d-core was being activated last night. We expect it from Hughes and Hronek but Meyers, Cole and Juulson were pinching and even diving into the corners a bit.  Zad not so much. There were enough plays that I had to conclude it was designed by the coaches. Do they consider their high forwards reliable enough to cover? 

Back to my regular tire pumping on Juulson. He outplayed Meyers last night. In the above mentioned forays into the ozone he was solid without risking to much. His hit in the 3rd (?) was a cruncher. His puck recovery in the d-zone was solid and exit passing good. Meyers on the otherhand was leaning towards his traditional play. He went for a ozone skate in the 3rd when the game was still not locked down. Now if that is what the coaches are asking from him then it isn't on him. He did have a number of solid looks in the ozone. But his skate in the 3rd was out of line especially is + 3 minute shift. He failed on a zone clear in the 4th SJ goal and the resulting FO led to the goal. Border line panic on a few plays. The type of play can build on itself. All this said Meyers is a beautiful skater and covers ice very quickly. I'd love to talk to Gonchar about Meyers. 

I like the d activated some. So much of the opposing teams forecheck keys on our finesse stars. Ergo when they see a 6'8" defenseman coming at them with speed is a wall basher. And I see their forecheck back off a bit. Myers and Zad can gain the blueline and help us establish ozone time. I think we can develop this as a means of attack. Provided we are all on the same page. This is where Gonchar and Foote step in.

Man I'd be tempted to sit Huggy and Petie vs Philly and give those two a really big break physically.  IMHO

I'm thinking big picture here though.

It's a long fkn season is why. Especially seeing them fight through 1st line checking like they do.

This is where I trust Tocchet.  He freakin knows these facets of the game, he's been there, on the other end shutting down skill guys like he used to.

Happy break guys.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

I haven't caught up in this thread yet so I don't know if anyone's mentioned Noah Juulsen's nifty lil rib tickler; no call.

Guy was ok, even came back and scored a goal, but he was out for a while and does not think 'the Canucks are a fun team to play against'.

Many small bites.

Who did Noah hit?

4 hours ago, arsenalian said:

Oh oh, managed to block them on PC. Ahhh it’s glorious scrolling through and not seeing one of their re-posts every 3 replies

Too bad people keep quoting them.

Maybe we should have a troll rating counter; a numerical indicator of how many forum users have blocked this particular poster; then, when a certain number is reached, a public warning is issued, etc.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I still think Petey needs a power forward on his wing. One that will crash and bang to create space. Lafferty brought it for a few games but then fizzled out.

With our cap space I doubt we find anyone of a higher calibre to play with Petey. 

Internally we have Joshua, but that 2 on 1 breakaway with him and Petey in dallas makes me think no lol

I keep coming back to Podz. He’s the only one that can affordably fit that bill. However they seem hell bent on leaving him on the farm for now.

Anyways my vote is Podz, he has looked great on the farm. I think we will see him on the big club around the trade dead line as it seems management may make one more tweak before a playoff run. 

This team most certainly could use a star goal breaker power forward.  As mentioned of our cap space or lack thereof; it does prevents us from acquiring such. Hypothetically speaking if we could though, who do y'all think would fit the bill? 

I agree about Pods possibly being that guy though. Pods has shown in the past that the north/south game is what he's about. It's great that he gets the opportunity in Abby to work out the kinks in his game. The ice time he's getting there is gonna do him a world of good; build his confidence and fine tune things. As far as anyone in our prospect/project group that can be that player, in my mind, Pods is it!

4 hours ago, Chicken. said:

Love Kuzy, hope he gets the system and forecheck side of things soon. His positive attitude is so good to listen to, just happy to win even if hes in the dog house. It is good. Yes.

Yea. He's a very likeable dude to be sure. 

I don't think many NHL players have a negative attitude per se. There are some whiners and complainers, ( I think we touched on a few in the past and recently!) but all in all, I think most buy into the concept of hope.

I mentioned this earlier in another thread but boy, Kuzy's English is indeed BAD. Not so much his English speaking skills, more so his grasp and poor understanding of what's being communicated to him in English as evident in that interview. Direct to the point with economy of words; just like RT, "He's gotta forecheck!"

Was great and humourous to hear Kuzy admit his shortcomings regarding the English language and how bad his is!

Yea. I like Kuz. I really hope we keep him around.

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

IMO, a player seeking to be the highest paid player on the team, should not have any of these concerns. He should be able to play with anyone and he should be making those players a lot better(ala Bure and Odjick or Sedins and Burrows), I am not seeing that.

3 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Definitely don’t disagree, he isn’t playing up to the contract he apparently wants. You got no argument for me there.

I think this is good for Petey tho. He wants to be a number 1 guy. Well then you have to learn how to take the heat and play with anyone the coach throws on your line. 

IMO I think he has the talent to get there. It’s all about learning. And he’s always taken his career seriously.

He’s really improved at face offs too. Every year he’s adding more and more.

I can see Petey signing another 3 year deal and then cashing in after that once he’s proven what he really is…or he tapers off and this is the best we’ll ever see of him. Still a great player to have and worth 8-9 mil no question.

I dunno, man. Petey is exceptional. He's a keeper to be sure. But he does seem to be struggling somewhat lately compared to the start he had. 

Okay, lately he does seem to fall a lot. Not a bit. A lot! I wouldn't know as to why. However I do know there's no secret anymore of the kind of impact player he is for us. That part of the Canuck attack can be squashed somewhat by keying in on Petey; clutching, grabbing, double teamed, physical play, and whatever else opposing teams do to wear out your top player.

Dude could be nursing a minor, nagging physical ailment, but Petey seems not the type to indulge any of that info to the media or the general public at large. He soldiers on like a good professional. I also surmise that he's not the type to take maintenance days. Cuz' quite simply, dude wants to play! 

Hmmmm........maintenance days. I know coaches call a day off from practise as a maintenance day. But aren't they actually game days off? I mean it wouldn't look good to fans, media to say this guy or that guy is just taking a day off for rest. No sir! Perhaps that's what, "taking time off for personal reasons," really means. 

Hmmmmm.................Petey needs to take time off for personal reasons. And Huggy, Hronek to follow!🤪

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup

All of PAs moves have been well calculated and deliberated upon.

One of Benning's flaws is that when he wants a player, he gets him whatever the cost may be. Like a kid in the candy store. 

I used to think Benning knowing what he wants and getting it was a good thing but am soon realizing that along with a lean eye for talent, discipline is required in order to construct a team in a cap era world

Which Benning trades are you referring to where he did that?