[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks // December 23, 2023

Rubik

12 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

What's a PDO? 

413009617_10160692708310549_207902715755

PDO

This statistic adds together a team’s shooting and save percentages at 5-on-5. The NHL terms this stat “shooting plus save percentage.” The shooting percentage represents the frequency a team scores on one of its shots, while the save percentage is the frequency of saves made by its goalies.

The Tampa Bay Lightning had a 5-on-5 shooting percentage of 9.4 last season and a save percentage of 92.9. Those numbers added up equal 102.3. The stat is then multiplied by ten, giving the Lightning the highest PDO at 1023. The Toronto Maple Leafs were second at 1019, while the Nashville Predators were third at 1018.

Because the combined shot and save percentages of the league’s 31 teams will always equal 100 per cent — a shot on goal either goes in or it doesn’t — a club above that number can usually expect a regression over a large enough sample size, while one below can expect the opposite.

The stat is also applied to players, with Toronto’s Auston Matthews leading the way last season at 1070 followed by linemate William Nylander at 1058.

Source: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/corsi-pdo-explaining-hockeys-analytics-terms/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, vcBrett said:

I am really annoyed with all the critics bringing up point %. Only Boston and the Rangers are better than us in that regard. With Vegas being tied with us. The way Vegas has looked lately we have an opportunity to move ahead of them. The way Boston is playing we could pass them in pt percentage sooner than later. The Rangers are the only team that look like their point percentage is a threat to our #1 spot overall.

Games in hand are an opportunity to pass a team your trailing but you have to win those games or they dont matter. Arguing point percentage is purely a hypothetical argument. Point percentage is good to determine who is playing the most consistently but the league doesnt determine rankings by pt%.

Watch, if the Canucks win their first 2 in a row after the break and the Rangers lose their first 2 then that would dramatically change whatever advantage the Rangers have with their games in hand.

Also, if you have games in hand late in the season, that means you will be playing more games in as many nights as other teams which can make it more difficult to get on a hot streak.

I guess haters will find any excuse to downplay the Canucks success this year. We could be #1 in points and pts percentage and people will say "oh their PK is only like 20th"

or "So and so player hasnt been that good lately". Any reason to deny that the Canucks are a good team.

Big win to go into Christmas with everyone playing decent to really good. When your most criticized player (lately) just scored two goals, I think you have a pretty good team.

Actually only Rangers are higher in pt %. 

Nux are tied with LA, and are better than Vegas and Bruins.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

There's no doubt both teams were somewhat sloppy, particularly in their own ends. However, I've watched the Canucks for a very long time and this

version has more attributes offensively and defensively. I think it could be as good as the 2011 team with a more well balanced squad. They can use all for lines and 

three defense pairs without too much distress. Still not quite at the half way mark (almost), To be honest; this team reminds me of the 1994 Canucks, where

everyone played on the same page, and they were a heartbeat away from holding up Lord Stanley' Cup; I'm very pleasantly surprised at the job Management 

and the coaching staff has done in a relatively short period of time. They have a "no quit" attitude and that's what it takes.... 

The 94 team didn't have the bottom 6 that we have.  Our bottom 6 are insanely good.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

59 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

What's a PDO? 

413009617_10160692708310549_207902715755

i dont know some crap statistic thats somewhat measures luck... doesnt really mean much... franklyi think it has more use as a individual stat than a team stat... combining two stats into one is really useless if you dont know what you are doing with that info... context is everything... if we have a high pdo it COULD be luck, but as harman Dayal has shown its not luck... Our forecheck allows for amazing chances, same with how we score goals in the offensive zone how we create these high scoring chances like tips deflections and lots of lateral movement confusing the goalie and defence... our team defence is our real secret weapon though we do a very good limiting certain plays just have to listen to tocchet. he literally explains everything in his post game interviews (well except the real important stuff) we have game changing coaching and structure

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, vcBrett said:

I am really annoyed with all the critics bringing up point %. Only Boston and the Rangers are better than us in that regard. With Vegas being tied with us. The way Vegas has looked lately we have an opportunity to move ahead of them. The way Boston is playing we could pass them in pt percentage sooner than later. The Rangers are the only team that look like their point percentage is a threat to our #1 spot overall.

Games in hand are an opportunity to pass a team your trailing but you have to win those games or they dont matter. Arguing point percentage is purely a hypothetical argument. Point percentage is good to determine who is playing the most consistently but the league doesnt determine rankings by pt%.

Watch, if the Canucks win their first 2 in a row after the break and the Rangers lose their first 2 then that would dramatically change whatever advantage the Rangers have with their games in hand.

Also, if you have games in hand late in the season, that means you will be playing more games in as many nights as other teams which can make it more difficult to get on a hot streak.

I guess haters will find any excuse to downplay the Canucks success this year. We could be #1 in points and pts percentage and people will say "oh their PK is only like 20th"

or "So and so player hasnt been that good lately". Any reason to deny that the Canucks are a good team.

Big win to go into Christmas with everyone playing decent to really good. When your most criticized player (lately) just scored two goals, I think you have a pretty good team.

no youre right... its always better to have a bird in hand than 2 birds in a bush...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, vcBrett said:

+1....

Points in the bag always better than maybe this or that...

There's a reason the games are played. 

First in goals for, 2nd in goals against and we have a monstrous +/- advantage over everyone else. When we play well and win, we win big and blow out teams. When we lose, we manage them well and rarely lose by much. This team is reminding us a lot of the 2011 team in many ways, obviously that team was a bit more dominant and better on the PK but leading offensive and defensive stats across the board is very impressive.

My only worry is how we match up against top teams in the playoffs now. I think we can beat just about any team except for maybe 3 or 4 in a 7 game series. I don't know how we'd do against LA, Vegas or maybe NYR or Boston. I think Vegas will be our Achille's heel, they've always owned us and even did this year. LA...we could probably beat if we crack their goalie. Eastern conference teams at the top are a good coin flip.

We're not just talking about making the playoffs anymore, we're talking about a deep run and I think we've got one in us but Vegas will always be a road block for us unless they start to trend down and all of our pieces fall into place. Hopefully some other team will wear them down or beat them along the way and we can cruise through.

• Tank 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, vcBrett said:

I mean Point Percentage is more important than points before the end of a full 82 game season .it's the reason why it's used to restart the season in the bubble. 

Of course in the end of the day point percentage is mostly theoretical since, as you said, teams with games at hand still have to win those games. But it's the more accurate way to measure the standings. Which I suppose why other sports use win percentages before the end of the seasons. 

There is no agenda to bring down the Canucks using point percentage as a the benchmark though.

Last I checked Canucks are still tied for the top of the West and top 3 in the league tied with LA and below NYR

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

First in goals for, 2nd in goals against and we have a monstrous +/- advantage over everyone else. When we play well and win, we win big and blow out teams. When we lose, we manage them well and rarely lose by much. This team is reminding us a lot of the 2011 team in many ways, obviously that team was a bit more dominant and better on the PK but leading offensive and defensive stats across the board is very impressive.

My only worry is how we match up against top teams in the playoffs now. I think we can beat just about any team except for maybe 3 or 4 in a 7 game series. I don't know how we'd do against LA, Vegas or maybe NYR or Boston. I think Vegas will be our Achille's heel, they've always owned us and even did this year. LA...we could probably beat if we crack their goalie. Eastern conference teams at the top are a good coin flip.

We're not just talking about making the playoffs anymore, we're talking about a deep run and I think we've got one in us but Vegas will always be a road block for us unless they start to trend down and all of our pieces fall into place. Hopefully some other team will wear them down or beat them along the way and we can cruise through.

The hope is Canucks somehow avoids LA or Vegas in the first round so they can face each other to beat themselves up. 

Heck a 1st wild card spot might be more favorable than placing 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific 

i’m just happy with the ride so far. i believe objectively we all pegged this squad somewhere between a third divisional seed and wildcard at the start of the season. We may end up there, or first in the nhl. 

In a 7 game series i like our d size and goaltending. Also, coaching that preaches ‘playing the right way’. For the first time in a long time i think we’re better over a 7 game series than a one off. 

We haven’t dominated good teams, but we’ve hung with them. There is another level this team can reach. I wouldn’t bet against them, and i’ll certainly be cheering fir them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

PDO

This statistic adds together a team’s shooting and save percentages at 5-on-5. The NHL terms this stat “shooting plus save percentage.” The shooting percentage represents the frequency a team scores on one of its shots, while the save percentage is the frequency of saves made by its goalies.

The Tampa Bay Lightning had a 5-on-5 shooting percentage of 9.4 last season and a save percentage of 92.9. Those numbers added up equal 102.3. The stat is then multiplied by ten, giving the Lightning the highest PDO at 1023. The Toronto Maple Leafs were second at 1019, while the Nashville Predators were third at 1018.

Because the combined shot and save percentages of the league’s 31 teams will always equal 100 per cent — a shot on goal either goes in or it doesn’t — a club above that number can usually expect a regression over a large enough sample size, while one below can expect the opposite.

The stat is also applied to players, with Toronto’s Auston Matthews leading the way last season at 1070 followed by linemate William Nylander at 1058.

Source: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/corsi-pdo-explaining-hockeys-analytics-terms/

You lost me at Matthews and Nylander.

I guess I'm old school...only thing that matters to me is points. The rest doesn't impact whether or not you get in to the playoffs....staying in the top tier of the league is a good way to measure things.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I mean Point Percentage is more important than points before the end of a full 82 game season .it's the reason why it's used to restart the season in the bubble. 

Of course in the end of the day point percentage is mostly theoretical since, as you said, teams with games at hand still have to win those games. But it's the more accurate way to measure the standings. Which I suppose why other sports use win percentages before the end of the seasons. 

There is no agenda to bring down the Canucks using point percentage as a the benchmark though.

Last I checked Canucks are still tied for the top of the West and top 3 in the league tied with LA and below NYR

Not really (re "more important"). It seems to me that it's a bit of a prediction of sorts and I challenge the "more accurate" statement.

I like facts...fact is, every time you win a game you get two points and the teams with the most points get in. 

I think it's something people who like (and mostly get paid) to talk hockey have zeroed in on as "something". To keep them talking. 

No one knows until the season plays out and, until such a time, the teams that gather the most points are ahead. Even if other teams are playing catching with GIH. They could lose all of them. Win all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

PDO

This is beyond craperolla. What will the geeks think of next so they can feel part of game? 752076EA-3806-44BC-9525-2CC5728E1F99.jpeg.e29fd66d475715d4cfa45a532780a609.jpeg

Edited by Alflives
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1