[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks // December 23, 2023

Rubik

Mainstream news coverage. 

I get the buzz.  I also appreciate how there is a generation of fans who never have seen a winning season like 2011, 2012 etc.

But I don't equate this yr to 2011 era teams that had multiple yrs of playoffs prior to president cup winning yrs.  Maybe it's lack of recent success or experience.  We'll see how they play in the playoffs.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

On 12/25/2023 at 10:55 AM, iinatcc said:

The hope is Canucks somehow avoids LA or Vegas in the first round so they can face each other to beat themselves up. 

Heck a 1st wild card spot might be more favorable than placing 2nd or 3rd in the Pacific 

Surely we want to gun for a top-2 spot in the Pacific but it will be hard against Vegas and LA. You could easily see us drop to 3rd in which case what, we most likely play LA on the road in the first round? They've been very dominant, especially on the road.

Really have to gun for 1st in the division because it'll be a tough one to get out of. 

We're going to have to face tough teams in the playoffs. So what's the difference when we face them? Making the playoffs is a big step for this club.

Beating tough teams will make the victories that much sweeter. Bottom line the Canucks have nothing to lose in the playoffs. So there is no pressure on them unlike LA/Vegas/Colorado/Winnipeg.

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Earlier interview before SJ game. 

Noticed how BB mentioned team fatigue a few times. 

They needed the rest. 

They did need the rest.  Even more so, they need to learn how to play through all difficulties, not just fatigue.

And we need to add to team depth, as there will be injuries.  But first, we need to stack up the Wins, and make the playoffs in the best possible position.

I can't wait to see what they learn when Rick Tocchet Coaches The Vancouver Canucks in The Stanley Cup Playoffs!

You know he's prepping his Staples:

stapler-eye-drag-me-to-hell.gif

GCG

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We're going to have to face tough teams in the playoffs. So what's the difference when we face them? Making the playoffs is a big step for this club.

Beating tough teams will make the victories that much sweeter. Bottom line the Canucks have nothing to lose in the playoffs. So there is no pressure on them unlike LA/Vegas/Colorado/Winnipeg.

Big wins. Huge wins. Important games. Must wins. Pivitol games. 

21 hours ago, Tusk said:

I mean Garlund has had a much better 10 or 15 games than Petey. I call him a mouse because I had a few of them fuckers in my condo this year and they outwitted me.

I love the BlueJayLund but I think in the playoffs we get Garlund up with Brock and JT. I think both Myers and Garlund are better on our team than Petey with some of the crackhead numbers people are saying for a new contract. How is Petey worth more than JT? Brock? Huggy?

Yeah somethings definitely going on with Petey - don’t know what it is but something is really off - he had such a great start to the season completely dominated and now he’s a shell of his former self… This happened last year and the year before that… Maybe he’s just not built tough enough for the NHL?

28 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

People ignore that and treat these guys like they're machines.

It's very much an issue....fatigue causes mental mistakes and energy depletion. It's just a fact.

Yes, all teams have to contend with it but some got off to an easier start and we'll see how they fare through the rough stretches. Injuries are also more prominant when fatigue sets in.

Yeah I hate it when guys get trapped on for extended shifts. Coaches need to figure out how to switch defenseman closer to the bench. Closer they are to the bench the easier to swap them off.

We don't need martyrs out there for 3 minutes. 

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It's very much an issue....fatigue causes mental mistakes and energy depletion. It's just a fact.

Yes, all teams have to contend with it but some got off to an easier start and we'll see how they fare through the rough stretches. Injuries are also more prominant when fatigue sets in.

Yup no need to pick apart the SJ win. The boys were tired and capped off a 7-0-2 streak grabbing 16/18 pts to go into Christmas break 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Great post! People completely ignore that fact. At least more people appear to be "somewhat" accepting of the ebbs and flows of life.

Not everyone can be on 24/7, 365 ... especially when you're also dealing with things like family issues, sick children, illness, businesses, investments, etc. I mean, just look at Brock and how the stress of his father was impacting his game ... on top of the usual fatigue, wear, tear, injuries, etc.

But you're right ... we'll see the others do when their schedules get tighter and harder. We may have the upper hand in the long run.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Yup. The Knights are experiencing a difficult time now and their recent record reflects that. The Kings will be coming up to their hardest stretches in the second half and we will see them fall. Both the Knights and the Kings best players are old. Our core is both better and younger. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yeah I hate it when guys get trapped on for extended shifts. Coaches need to figure out how to switch defenseman closer to the bench. Closer they are to the bench the easier to swap them off.

We don't need martyrs out there for 3 minutes. 

Some players are just like Ryan Kesler.  That guy didn't know how to 'dial it down a few notches' during the regular season (even after a playoff spot was locked up).  A great work ethic but sometimes you'd wish he's saved his energy a little for the post-season.

• Vintage 2

Petey is one of two, Jack Hughes being the other, established under 26YO Centers in the NHL with 40-goal, 100-point potential, but the idiots here think he should be traded? That he's somehow worth $9M, which is less than his current 10.25M base salary? The Petey haters here are entirely INSANE! He will get his XL $11.5 - $12M contract here or elsewhere. If it's elsewhere, prepare for another five+ years of suck hockey because even if whoever signs him gives up picks to do so, they will be low first-rounders, the kind of guys who have to ripen over three to four years into NHLers and may never be more than depth players, because Petey will make any team he signs with instantly better. Every game, he draws the opposition's best shutdown center/line. Petey does that with wingers who belong on the third line of a good team. All the greats have (had) great linemates to deflect some of the defensive pressure. Hank had Danny, Naslund had Big Bert, and even the Great Gretzky had Kurri, Hull, Robitaille, Granato, etc., but in Vancouver, other than when he played on the Lotto Line, Petey has had to forge his own way. As I've written before on this site when Petey is on the ice, he is the focus; nobody cares about his wingers. The game plan these days is to beat Petey up, hit, hold, hook, slash, trip, and sloughfoot him at every opportunity. It's why he draws so many penalties against him. That is exhausting for anybody. I'm glad Kuzy is back on Line 1; hopefully, he sticks because his creativity will draw defense off of Petey. Petey's game started to suffer because of the apparent undisclosed injury, fatigue from a horrible first-half schedule and continued with the loss of Kuzy. Yet he is still on pace for 100 points again. Imagine if he centered Mark Stone. Unlike the fans who tend to be die-hard, for most players, hockey is transactional; players go where they have the best chance to win and make big bucks. It's a business, and stories like the Sedins playing 20 years with the team that drafted you are getting rarer. The team should get him signed long-term as soon as possible, because Petey is special, and almost every other team in the league would love to have him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Yup no need to pick apart the SJ win. The boys were tired and capped off a 7-0-2 streak grabbing 16/18 pts to go into Christmas break 

This is a great point. I heard Quinn in an interview at the end of the flat spot saying he asked the guys to put up their best effort through Christmas, which they did. Good work Cap!

I think of Petey would put on another 15 - 20 pounds of muscle it would serve him to keep his energy going - I think the fatigue he’s experiencing has everything to do with the fact he’s a skinny dude… maybe he needs to do more strengthening - muscle bulking 

Edited by I.AM.THE.WALRUS

37 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

I think of Petey would put on another 15 - 20 pounds of muscle it would serve him to keep his energy going - I think the fatigue he’s experiencing has everything to do with the fact he’s a skinny dude… maybe he needs to do more strengthening - muscle bulking 

So as long as he doesn't overdo it.  Remember when Sopel bulked up way back when?  Really affected his mobillity (imho).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

Petey is one of two, Jack Hughes being the other, established under 26YO Centers in the NHL with 40-goal, 100-point potential, but the idiots here think he should be traded? That he's somehow worth $9M, which is less than his current 10.25M base salary? The Petey haters here are entirely INSANE! He will get his XL $11.5 - $12M contract here or elsewhere. If it's elsewhere, prepare for another five+ years of suck hockey because even if whoever signs him gives up picks to do so, they will be low first-rounders, the kind of guys who have to ripen over three to four years into NHLers and may never be more than depth players, because Petey will make any team he signs with instantly better. Every game, he draws the opposition's best shutdown center/line. Petey does that with wingers who belong on the third line of a good team. All the greats have (had) great linemates to deflect some of the defensive pressure. Hank had Danny, Naslund had Big Bert, and even the Great Gretzky had Kurri, Hull, Robitaille, Granato, etc., but in Vancouver, other than when he played on the Lotto Line, Petey has had to forge his own way. As I've written before on this site when Petey is on the ice, he is the focus; nobody cares about his wingers. The game plan these days is to beat Petey up, hit, hold, hook, slash, trip, and sloughfoot him at every opportunity. It's why he draws so many penalties against him. That is exhausting for anybody. I'm glad Kuzy is back on Line 1; hopefully, he sticks because his creativity will draw defense off of Petey. Petey's game started to suffer because of the apparent undisclosed injury, fatigue from a horrible first-half schedule and continued with the loss of Kuzy. Yet he is still on pace for 100 points again. Imagine if he centered Mark Stone. Unlike the fans who tend to be die-hard, for most players, hockey is transactional; players go where they have the best chance to win and make big bucks. It's a business, and stories like the Sedins playing 20 years with the team that drafted you are getting rarer. The team should get him signed long-term as soon as possible, because Petey is special, and almost every other team in the league would love to have him.

Excellent and knowledgeable hockey post. Sadly we have some posters here who aren’t truly Canuck fans. They are more like fishermen looking for a catch. 
Petey is a brilliant player. I was happy to hear JR recently say he wants Petey to sign a contract that Petey is happy with. Clearly this management knows how important Petey is to our club winning a Cup. They will get him signed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

So as long as he doesn't overdo it.  Remember when Sopel bulked up way back when?  Really affected his mobillity (imho).

Sopel was never mobile to begin with. And he never bulked up. Boeser on the other hand got huge two summers ago and had two terrible years of hockey. 

46 minutes ago, Sergiomomesso said:

Sopel was never mobile to begin with. And he never bulked up. Boeser on the other hand got huge two summers ago and had two terrible years of hockey. 

Then my recollection was in error.

edit:

Not definitive proof but:

(NSFW:  language):

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1