[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks // December 23, 2023

Rubik

Just now, IBatch said:

I don't want to see EP get crushed by the fanbase and the media.    But would bet my house is he signs for 12 plus and isn't scoring at least 100 a season, he's going to become a whipping boy awfully fast. 

I hope Luongo had a few beers & spaghetti with Petterson while he was here. Luongo regretted his contract and how it hurt the whole team.

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'd argue he already proved it with a 99 point season, his durability, and that all the stats back up he's our best forward since he came in minus a few months of EP here and there.   Last year EP was the man, this year he's back to mayne being the man?   Yet Miller did it with two different coaches in the same year.   I don't like comparing players on our own team (the Miller versus Horvat stuff was total BS).    All Millers done, since he's arrived, is created a top line.   And of course EP's not worth 50% more.   Or 30% more.  But he's going to get it regardless. 

JT's contract is really balanced and if they can front pay Petey his fancy millions but keep the cap hit down we can wait till Petey matures his game, and maybe buy a winger or two to play with him.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Not at all.

Including Garland, the entire 3rd line is just under $8 mil a year. Plus, why would you want Garland gone the way he's playing? 

The 4th line, $3.5 mil? 

There's around $35 mil tied up in the top two lines.

That leaves about what? $38 mil for the D, goalies and extras. 

There's $13 mil off the books at the end of the year as well, which included Beauvillier, who is obviously gone already. 

Anyway, there's no need to shed Garland's contract, unless Tocchet doesn't like the way he's performing with Joshua and Blueger. 

I highly doubt it.  

I still think Garland's contract comes up under scrutiny in the next 2 years if the management team feels the need to upgrade the team. The money has to come from somewhere. Of course right now he looks great but it's a small sample size and all the same conundrums are there if the 3rd line goes dormant.

15 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Then my recollection was in error.

edit:

Not definitive proof but:

(NSFW:  language):

One of the most understated abilities of good coaches, is find out what triggers each individual on your team...

Some players need the whip non stop, and some need the fatherly shoulder... whatever it may be is as important as anything to make the magic appear...

• Cheers 1

All this talk about Petey and how much he should get paid got me thinking. He is not a big contributor of our success so far this season so how much do we want to pay someone who may or may not help us to get the ultimate prize? 

Great player but Miller is still taking the bulk of the duties of a #1 Center. In fact, he brings much more physicality and leadership yet he makes a pultry 8 mill per year? 

I would argue that Blueger's line is contributing like a 2nd line right now so where does Petey fit in? 

Just like Bo wasn't a fit, Petey might be heading in that direction too. 

Like many have said, its not doubting Petey and his abilities, its what he can do to get us to where we want to go. 

Do we want to pay a player like this the highest salary on the team? How is Miller and Hughes going to feel about this? 

Vegas is the measuring stick, as they have Won the Cup. No one makes more then 10 mill a year on that team and they almost won in their first year with no superstars at all!

Love Petey, as there are few player like him, but maybe we are better off in trading him for picks and then trading those picks into quality players similar to what we did with acquiring Hronek, and strengthening our weak areas we currently have.

Either way, I am confident this management group will make the right decisions and make our team stronger and more ready for the playoffs. 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I still think Garland's contract comes up under scrutiny in the next 2 years if the management team feels the need to upgrade the team. The money has to come from somewhere. Of course right now he looks great but it's a small sample size and all the same conundrums are there if the 3rd line goes dormant.

They could also look in the mirror, and what they paid Kuzmenko and Ilya Mikheyev as well.   Bottom line is none of these guys are terrible right now (ok Kuzmenko is, but have some trust in their system and feel he's going to get a chance again or at the very least help with depth in the playoffs and down the stretch, this year they've done what they can with the D). 

Could really be any of those 3 guys. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

All this talk about Petey and how much he should get paid got me thinking. He is not a big contributor of our success so far this season so how much do we want to pay someone who may or may not help us to get the ultimate prize? 

Great player but Miller is still taking the bulk of the duties of a #1 Center. In fact, he brings much more physicality and leadership yet he makes a pultry 8 mill per year? 

I would argue that Blueger's line is contributing like a 2nd line right now so where does Petey fit in? 

Just like Bo wasn't a fit, Petey might be heading in that direction too. 

Like many have said, its not doubting Petey and his abilities, its what he can do to get us to where we want to go. 

Do we want to pay a player like this the highest salary on the team? How is Miller and Hughes going to feel about this? 

Vegas is the measuring stick, as they have Won the Cup. No one makes more then 10 mill a year on that team and they almost won in their first year with no superstars at all!

Love Petey, as there are few player like him, but maybe we are better off in trading him for picks and then trading those picks into quality players similar to what we did with acquiring Hronek, and strengthening our weak areas we currently have.

Either way, I am confident this management group will make the right decisions and make our team stronger and more ready for the playoffs. 

We dont want this..... We want Petterson to be a Canuck but the $$ must make sense for us to keep the rest of our core. If I had to give up Brock to keep Petey its not worth it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tusk said:

We dont want this..... We want Petterson to be a Canuck but the $$ must make sense for us to keep the rest of our core. If I had to give up Brock to keep Petey its not worth it.

I agree but it doesn't appear that Petey is thinking the same way. Obviously he wants more then what has been offered him and this is a huge concern.

We are starting to see who is wanting to play the game the right way and it is showing that we can be successful playing this way.

The way Brock has shown he is willing to sacrifice and change, I don't want him going anywhere either. 

We are starting to see team chemistry and that is far more important then any one player, including Petey, IMHO.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Canuckleheads Fan said:

And I will point out that they play in a state with no income tax and generally low taxes. That million less that they agreed to is made by low taxes.

Lots of states have lower taxes and they didn't save a million in taxes. 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Who really knows, right? 

It depends on how he's contributing to the team, what his numbers are, if they're justifiable, if Tocchet even wants him on the team, and so on. 

Right now he's producing results, so I can't see any reason RT wouldn't want him. Maybe not the point totals most want. But every time that line is out, the majority of time, the pucks in the offensive zone creating opportunities to score. 

If he maintains that pace, he is a driving force. 

Let's hope he continues, and the 3rd line as well. They've developed some great chemistry together. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

Who really knows, right? 

It depends on how he's contributing to the team, what his numbers are, if they're justifiable, if Tocchet even wants him on the team, and so on. 

Right now he's producing results, so I can't see any reason RT wouldn't want him. Maybe not the point totals most want. But every time that line is out, the majority of time, the pucks in the offensive zone creating opportunities to score. 

Let's hope he continues, and the 3rd line as well. They've developed some great chemistry together. 

I dont think we will keep Garlund on the 3rd in playoffs. He would be great up with JT and Brock. But I dont think we wanna create that much film for other teams to review.

Hogz, Podz and petey will likely be the playoff line too. 

For now, we should keep floating guys around the lines, so everyone has chemistry.

10 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Who really knows, right? 

Yeah absolutely. Right now it doesn't look like there is much reason to change it. I totally agree there. I'm not a big fan of Garland myself but I can't deny he's doing a job and doing it well. Finally. He's been a big contributor to keeping the ice tilted in our favor. 

Like you said, who knows what the brain trust is thinking here. Could they be planning a major move at the deadline and targetting a specific player for which we need to shed salary? Sure, but they could just stand pat with this group that's got us this far too.

All in all, a pretty good position to be in.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

They could also look in the mirror, and what they paid Kuzmenko and Ilya Mikheyev as well.   Bottom line is none of these guys are terrible right now (ok Kuzmenko is, but have some trust in their system and feel he's going to get a chance again or at the very least help with depth in the playoffs and down the stretch, this year they've done what they can with the D). 

Could really be any of those 3 guys. 

Yeah, for sure. Obviously you're not moving Hughes, Miller, Petey, Hronek, Boeser, etc. Earlier this year Garland was a lot easier to single out but those other two certainly could be involved too. I think Mikheyev less so because he's still coming off injury and someone this group specifically targeted. Kuzmenko kind of fell in our lap, still give credit to Allvin, but he's far more expendable. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, for sure. Obviously you're not moving Hughes, Miller, Petey, Hronek, Boeser, etc. Earlier this year Garland was a lot easier to single out but those other two certainly could be involved too. I think Mikheyev less so because he's still coming off injury and someone this group specifically targeted. Kuzmenko kind of fell in our lap, still give credit to Allvin, but he's far more expendable. 

It's like you said, a nice problem to have. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1