[PGT] San Jose Sharks at Vancouver Canucks // December 23, 2023

Rubik

52 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah absolutely. Right now it doesn't look like there is much reason to change it. I totally agree there. I'm not a big fan of Garland myself but I can't deny he's doing a job and doing it well. Finally. He's been a big contributor to keeping the ice tilted in our favor. 

Like you said, who knows what the brain trust is thinking here. Could they be planning a major move at the deadline and targetting a specific player for which we need to shed salary? Sure, but they could just stand pat with this group that's got us this far too.

All in all, a pretty good position to be in.

5 million + 2 million+ 1 million= 3rd line 

Still cheap. 

I'd rather have that then 3 x 2 million players that are getting buried over and over as a slightly cheaper 3rd line.  

Garland could also be a great option to play with young guys next two years where he can drive the line and help guys like Raty, Karlsson, and Podkolzin not only stay above water but also drive offense.  

A guy like Arshdeep Bains could one day be a play driver from the wing similar to Garland, that's why I excluded him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

I dont think we will keep Garlund on the 3rd in playoffs. He would be great up with JT and Brock. But I dont think we wanna create that much film for other teams to review.

Hogz, Podz and petey will likely be the playoff line too. 

For now, we should keep floating guys around the lines, so everyone has chemistry.

Garland needs the puck on his stick and so doesn't work well with Petey and JT. 

Garland works best driving his own line. Blueger and Suter aren't puck possession beasts so Garland works best on the 3rd line.  

I can't remember the last cup winner that didn't have a great 3rd line. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Garland works best driving his own line. Blueger and Suter aren't puck possession beasts so Garland works best on the 3rd line.  

I agree and I can probably count on one hand Canuck lines which had such good chemistry as that line. No way we mess with it. Imagine if we found a winger who had good chemistry with Kessler? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

The HBK Line

Who could forget the heroics of Carl Hagelin, Nick Bonino, and Phil Kessel during the 2016 Stanley Cup run? All three were new additions to the team and combined for 20 goals and 56 points in the postseason. The name is made up of the first initial of each player’s last name, which matched that of WWE superstar Shawn Michaels’ nickname, the Heartbreak Kid.

this was the ultimate 3rd line IMO.

Edited by Captkirk888
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Captkirk888 said:

The HBK Line

Who could forget the heroics of Carl Hagelin, Nick Bonino, and Phil Kessel during the 2016 Stanley Cup run? All three were new additions to the team and combined for 20 goals and 56 points in the postseason. The name is made up of the first initial of each player’s last name, which matched that of WWE superstar Shawn Michaels’ nickname, the Heartbreak Kid.

this was the ultimate 3rd line IMO.

Pat Lafontaine centered the "helicopter" line during his peak (eg., no wings 🤣).  Or if he played today, the keto line (no buns).🥸

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Lots of states have lower taxes and they didn't save a million in taxes. 

Every year of Millers last deal, he lost over 500k in taxes compared to what he would have earned in TB.    Gavingroup calculator.  That's just for fun.   When you get deeper it's not nicer.    Reality is 16.4% disparity, and it's not just a couple million here and there - it's a lot.    Canucks used to have the same taxes as Alberta during the peak Sedin era.   Not anymore, and not for over a decade.   Now it's 53% plus change, instead of 48.6% versus 36.6%.   And it doesn't take long to get to the max either.    Do the calculator, Bobrovsky is making as much as McDavid lol. 

Edit:  McDavid is paying close to 6 in taxes 

Bobrovsky is netting over 6.6...  make sense?  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Every year of Millers last deal, he lost over 500k in taxes compared to what he would have earned in TB.    Gavingroup calculator.  That's just for fun.   When you get deeper it's not nicer.    Reality is 16.4% disparity, and it's not just a couple million here and there - it's a lot.    Canucks used to have the same taxes as Alberta during the peak Sedin era.   Not anymore, and not for over a decade.   Now it's 53% plus change, instead of 48.6% versus 36.6%.   And it doesn't take long to get to the max either.    Do the calculator, Bobrovsky is making as much as McDavid lol. 

Edit:  McDavid is paying close to 6 in taxes 

Bobrovsky is netting over 6.6...  make sense?  

Yeah but Point, Kucherov, and Hedman could've signed for other teams will low taxes. 

You're right that there's a big difference between Canadian and US teams, but my point was that Tampa players took paycuts to keep the team competitive. 

There's at least 10 teams that would have very comparable taxes to Tampa and would've jumped at the opportunity to sign those superstars from Tampa. 

17 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Yeah but Point, Kucherov, and Hedman could've signed for other teams will low taxes. 

You're right that there's a big difference between Canadian and US teams, but my point was that Tampa players took paycuts to keep the team competitive. 

There's at least 10 teams that would have very comparable taxes to Tampa and would've jumped at the opportunity to sign those superstars from Tampa. 

Yes exactly, hockey players are athletes not businessmen. The agents are probably the ones more concerned then they are. Star players are going to get other opportunities to get paid for the rest of their career and long after. I think saving on taxes is at the bottom of their list of concerns TBH.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

5 million + 2 million+ 1 million= 3rd line 

Still cheap. 

I'd rather have that then 3 x 2 million players that are getting buried over and over as a slightly cheaper 3rd line.  

Garland could also be a great option to play with young guys next two years where he can drive the line and help guys like Raty, Karlsson, and Podkolzin not only stay above water but also drive offense.  

A guy like Arshdeep Bains could one day be a play driver from the wing similar to Garland, that's why I excluded him. 

Yeah, it could be done that way. Of course we have to see if this play continues, especially in the playoffs when the checking gets tighter. I will admit I mostly look at it from a conservative viewpoint considering our crazy over-expenditures the last half decade. Garland still sticks out as an outlier for me considering his salary, usage, size, and lack of special teams play.

$8 mil is pretty cheap though if they keep it up. Still, what if the team has a good year but still feels they are missing that top 6 guy to put them over the top, which I feel will be the case. The money has to come from somewhere. I'm also not sure if he's the player to mentor the young guys.

Either way, he and the line are playing great. It's fun to watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rip The Mesh said:

My buddy is s massive Flyers fan. He just moved to Vancouver. His favorite player was Tocchet. We've been trash talking for weeks about this game.

But ...

I've been sending him every single pre, post, and practice interview with Tocchet in an attempt to lure him to our side, make him all weak kneed for Tocchet - we're going to a game in January - so he can hop on the bandwagon when we win the Cup while he lives here and he won't feel bad.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Coach: "So, who's going to be smashing?"

Z: "ME."

Myer's: "Me."

Juul's: "Me too coach. "

Coach: "Okay,good."

He looks at Hughes.

Huggy: "I'm gonna be scoring a shit ton coach."

Coach: "Ok, good. Meetings over. "

Edited by Hairy Kneel