Does the lack of canadians players in our roster bother you ?

DexM94

If you get a guy in Vancouver for a couple years.... He is Canadian. We have thousands of people coming here to take our jobs and our housing every year and the goberment makes them canadian landed immigrants no problemo.

I apreciate the canucks players far more than the guy at the grocery who cuts me off or the other one who drops trash in the street.  

I can live with immigrants no problem, but I want immigrants who are canadian at heart. I see that in the Canucks more than I do in my community.

13 minutes ago, Tusk said:

If you get a guy in Vancouver for a couple years.... He is Canadian. We have thousands of people coming here to take our jobs and our housing every year and the goberment makes them canadian landed immigrants no problemo.

I apreciate the canucks players far more than the guy at the grocery who cuts me off or the other one who drops trash in the street.  

I can live with immigrants no problem, but I want immigrants who are canadian at heart. I see that in the Canucks more than I do in my community.

How can you tell someone in your community is an immigrant or Canadian-born just by looking at them?

I've seen all kinds of different people cut people off or throw trash on the street. Never assumed their citizenship status though.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, DexM94 said:

Not the easiest question.

How much that you, a canadian city, bother about the extremely poor representative number of canadians players in the team ?

Yes this team is right now at the top of the league, and that should be the main critera ; but does it steal a little part of the happy mindset if 95% of the team isnt from the country ?  

If i take a picture now, and i only show canadians players in the roster, that will ends up like this :

Forwards

L1 -- -- --

L2 -- -- --

L3 -- -- --

L4 -- -- --

Dmen

P1 -- --

P2 -- --

P3 -- Juulsen

Goaltender

S --

B --

Top Prospects 

Swede, Swede, Swede, US...

As a french guy, i would love to see some great canadian young talent to be inserted into the prospect pipeline. And i really hope Bedard would choose to come to his hometown in 2.5 years.

Is this a sensitive point or totaly irrevelant to you ? 

Nope. Care about wins.

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, Quinn Hughes said:

How can you tell someone in your community is an immigrant or Canadian-born just by looking at them?

I've seen all kinds of different people cut people off or throw trash on the street. Never assumed their citizenship status though.

um I had to take them to Service canada to change their student visa to  working visa.

I would prefer the team to have more Canadians but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

When Chicago beat us and won the cup in 2010, they were a team of 90% Canadians. I didn't hear anyone say that Canadians won the cup. The NHL record book shows that Chicago won and that Canada has not had the cup since 1993.

Having said that... the players on the current team ARE ALL CANUCKS! 😀

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

Only when compared to last years Stanley Cup makes one wonder

22-23stanleycup.thumb.png.ab9a4c8382a389d5bcbd61ba42e13097.png

Did a count last year ... the Vegas roster if you include everyone, has even more then that. 

Not happy Vegas beat Dallas,  at least we have a long past with them, but did begrudgingly accept it.   And definitely respect their management group.   Starting with the owner, they built a playoff team first and foremost, right from the start.   Biggest and heavyiest, full of farm boys and North American players.   Mathew Tckchuk's pest line, couldn't manage them.   Even Barkov had a tough time.    Both those teams were built for the second season.    

Personally also don't care how we do it.   But can say, it's sure refreshing to have assembled a balanced D-core.    We still are missing a large guy upfront.   I'd trade Kuzmennko in an instant for a Lowry type.   Or a Marroon from 5 years ago.   Jeannott.   Wilson.   Those guys aren't easy to find.   

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Tusk said:

If this is how you feel, betting you don't work hard enough.   We used to work 60 hours a week (19-35), and that was easy, trying doing two full time jobs for a year, just to save enough money to buy a vehicle and start your own thing - at 19-20, one a labour job, the other a line cook, 8 hours inbetween to get yourself home, and do it all over again at the site by 7:30, quitting time 11:00 the night before, and work Saturday's....so one day off a week.   That's My generation.  2 full-time jobs wasn't unheard of (try that for a year).  If you're not getting ahead in life, look in the mirror.   Funny thing about a lot of immigrants i've met and know, they have zero issue "taking " our 7-Eleven,  gas station,  wharehouse, wal-mart, McDonalds, Tim Hortons etc, janitorial what I referred to as a kid, "dick" job's, that we all had to do as kids, and do it with a smile until they graduate to a cab driver sort of thing.  

We made our kids work (staring right away at 15), the majority of their peer group, didn't have much on their resume at all come graduation.   And that's gen Z.     That's a terrible take man.    Taking our jobs is a joke.   Aside from maybe taking a government job which I know is like candy because of the slacking allowed.     

If someone cuts you off at the grocery line, just talk to them, say that's not polite, and the line is behind me - or maybe they just are working two jobs and don't have enough time.   If someone is dropping trash in the street, don't ignore that either, talk to them.   Don't have to fight them over it,  just shame them.   And let them know it's not ok.   Same as your post, it's not ok.    Immigration is feeding your mouth right now, whether you know it or not.   A lot of them, would much prefer a roof over their heads, and a full belly, over whatever it was they are escaping from.   It's an absolute privilege, to be a Canadian.    And it takes time for a lot of them to understand our customs, like Remembrance Day.     Which is important. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Kevlar said:

I would prefer the team to have more Canadians but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter.

When Chicago beat us and won the cup in 2010, they were a team of 90% Canadians. I didn't hear anyone say that Canadians won the cup. The NHL record book shows that Chicago won and that Canada has not had the cup since 1993.

Having said that... the players on the current team ARE ALL CANUCKS! 😀

That's exactly right.   Ben Hutton grew up not far from us.   Guess where he took the cup for his day.  Home.    So at least we've got that as as well.   Sure enjoyed Willie Mitchell's picture with the cup, doing one of my favourite things in the world, salmon fishing.   Was awesome.   We can at least enjoy that aspect.   And yes the cup needs to come home.  Growing up with Alberta teams being our mortal enemies, especially Calgary,  over time (since 93 is such a long time ago), i'd even celebrate either of those teams winning a cup now.   And in before folks start saying the entire country was against us in 2011, that's simply not true.  Saw a ton, a ton of Canucks flags in cars, driving around in both the Ottawa valley and in Quebec.     That was a media issue.   And we know where it came from mostly.    Even Cherry gave us props, and of course he's a Boston guy.    All throughout our run, he'd wear our colours and gave us props.   That gets forgotten and doesn't fit the narrative "everyone hates us, we don't care " isn't something I bought into, because I didn't see it with my own eyes.   For the better part of a decade, as a result of that Sedin team, watching a game in Ottawa, was almost like walking into our own building.    That's how many fans that team made.    

Where are the Sedins from again? 

Yes it would be cool if we won a cup with a Vegas or old school style team.   I'm with everyone else on this thread that says who cares though.    They are all our hero's and we should respect that.   Plus, let's be real, Vancouver is a very, very diverse community.   So is the Island.    And the interior is also advancing on that front.   Green and I grew up with a huge population of very persecuted Russians/Ukraines.   Half the population of a couple towns close by as well (Grand Forks/Casltegar).  Trail was full of Italians (Ferraro).     We all came from somewhere.   The world is way too small these days, to be worried about that much.    Will say, there still is a distinct style difference between Canadian and other countries, although the US is probably the closest.   Czechs the next.     Where was Chara from again?  It's not like you can't find them big, mean, and steady somewhere else either.    Even USSR sent some nasty pieces of work ... who led their team again in 72?  Guy could be vicious.    And who is on our team right now who seems to be the most willing to drop the gloves? 

Edit:  With fighting getting banned at the earlier levels, I don't think our style of hockey is going to be passed down as much.   Gretzky said it best when asked a couple years ago "how do you feel about fighting in the NHL"  TMZ so no time to prep - honest response, and I agree with this too "what fighting?" there's fighting still"  "when I grew up kids were fighting at the junior level, 15-18 they were fighting"   TMZ "will they ever ban fighting" 

Gretkzy " no need, sure there's an odd fight but that's it ".

The sport has completely changed.  Miller is now the prototypical power forward.   He's no Iginla.   Or Bertuzzi even, or Shanny for sure.   Or Shayne Corson and a six dozen guys like him.    Gary Robert's. Tim Kerr.   He's just not.    Right now, it's probably two US players leading the pack, brothers of the father who is also in that group, Captain America himself.    Our style of hockey has been gradually melding in with the rest.   At least juniors still have to play up to 100 games a year though. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tusk said:

they also didnt pay rent for December and still living here. they got jobs under the Atlantic Immigration program. 

You can always rent to good old Canadian folks.    Such a rough job been a land owner in a city where a patch of dirt goes for over a million bucks.     If you aren't a landlord, then that's very kind of you to take them.    Sorry about my reply, but if you haven't noticed, we don't live in a time where bigotry flies without some backlash.   If you're older that's ok I get it too.   Prejudices are taught not inherent.    Merry Christmas (i'm up early lol, like usual),  and all the best to you and your own and your neighbours too.    It's very kind of you to help.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Haddy said:

As a Canadian franchise it would be nice if we had a few impact players from our own country.. I mean Canada has more NHLers than the States, Sweden and Russia combined, you'd think we could find a couple

You are  a bit wrong; 25 less Canadian players than those 3 combined

https://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/nationality-totals/active-nhl-players-career-stats.html

first column is active players 

1 CA Canada 363 135 296 24 122 40 003 64 125 72 321 5150 677 3826
2 CA United States 248 86 946 14 964 25 203 40 167 39 457 3184 390 2396
3 CA Sweden 89 27 982 4922 9400 14 322 9950 1111 154 830
4 CA Russia 51 17 262 3763 5784 9547 7789 1016 54 588
5 CA Finland 42 12 429 2262 3742 6004 3911 512 104 368
6 CA Czech Republic 30 7964 1434 2132 3566 3281 312 37 243
7 CA Switzerland 10 4058 920 1460 2380 1741 221 11 145
8 CA Germany 7 1843 487 770 1257 597 166 16 78
9 CA Slovenia 1 1322 406 766 1172 328 117 13 68
10 CA Denmark 5 2573 499 633 1132 904 77 10 72
11 CA Slovakia 9 1601 278 390 668 771 55 2 41
12 CA Norway 1 794 192 409 601 301 44 1 28
13 CA Latvia 4 1122 123 169 292 305 5 13 10
14 CA France 2 845 92 104 196 238 0 8 5
15 CA Belarus 4 401 75 97 172 73 5 7 9
16 CA Netherlands 1 302 75 62 137 58 12 0 10
17 CA Austria 1 53 11 11 22 45 1 0 1

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/population-by-country/

Canada population =38.8 million

US                            =340 mill

Russia                          145.5

Sweden                         10.6

Finland                            5.5 mill

Finland kicks ass, for a pop so low. I also like their style, able to play however the game goes.

Edited by Gurn

On 12/24/2023 at 6:56 AM, DexM94 said:

Not the easiest question.

How much that you, a canadian city, bother about the extremely poor representative number of canadians players in the team ?

Yes this team is right now at the top of the league, and that should be the main critera ; but does it steal a little part of the happy mindset if 95% of the team isnt from the country ?  

If i take a picture now, and i only show canadians players in the roster, that will ends up like this :

Forwards

L1 -- -- --

L2 -- -- --

L3 -- -- --

L4 -- -- --

Dmen

P1 -- --

P2 -- --

P3 -- Juulsen

Goaltender

S --

B --

Top Prospects 

Swede, Swede, Swede, US...

As a french guy, i would love to see some great canadian young talent to be inserted into the prospect pipeline. And i really hope Bedard would choose to come to his hometown in 2.5 years.

Is this a sensitive point or totaly irrevelant to you ? 

There was a time when about 92% of the players in the NHL were Canadians - back in the early 70's if memory serves me correctly and has been declining steadily. From the chart below, the two heavyweights are by far Canada and USA which between them have about 71% of the total number of players. For those interested Canada is 42.7%, USA 27.9%, Sweden 9.7% and Russia 5.1%. The real swing came from the USA which started investing in ice rinks. 

I remember reading a stat a long time ago that there were more ice hockey rinks in Vernon BC and surrounding area than in Houston / Dallas combined. That stat has since changed significantly as evidenced by the second chart. Statistically speaking, Canucks should be about 5 - 8 Canadian players and 3 - 6 Americans although anomalies will come along. 

So do I care that the Canucks do not have 75% Canadian players - short answer NO. Statistically speaking there shouldn't be more than 50% Canadians or Americans on any NHL team. However, the talent will rise to the top which will dictate a teams make up, that and scouting / GM moves. 

In short, GO CANUCKS GO wherever you originally came from.

Edit: missed that @Gurn placed the chart below a couple of responses above

image.png.377b46f44e5b3d7e7fa5179d3dada63b.png

Fun fact: the Slovenian player is Anze Kopitar.

image.png.c70e8d6442ef3bd57eaf3976ab8968c1.png

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1