Does the lack of canadians players in our roster bother you ?

DexM94

No.  

Just a generalization but seems like Americans deal with the scrutiny of the Canadian market well.  And Swedes just seem to like Vancouver.  

Grouchy Americans and aloof Europeans seem to be a good fit with the vibe here - and really it’s all about signing the best players of course. 

Yes it does. 

I don't know how any Vancouver hockey fan would not want more Canadians. As someone pointed out, we are named the Canucks ffs.

Someone on here said Chicago won their last cup with 90% Canadians.  Both St. Louis and Los Vegas were the teams in the league the years they won, with the most Canadian players.  Coincidence?

Its not about the regular season, where Euros and Yanks are just as professional and productive as Canadian players. Its about the post season.  Only an opinion but I think Canadian born players have an edge in the playoffs. Just because of the culture they grew up with. Where hockey is a religion and HNIC is must watch for sports fans.  Winning the Stanley Cup is the ultimate.  For Euros its World Championships that they prize the most.  Americans grow up where football is king, and hockey is regarded below even golf. Not saying that there are some Euros and Yanks that DO cherish the Cup more than anything and rise to the same level of passion as Canadians, its just that there are fewer percent of them than Canadians.  Just for cultural reasons alone.

That's the mental edge a Canadian player has over other nationalities. It may not be much, but every edge a team can get to win a Cup helps. IMO its that slight extra desire and push in every shift, that wins playoff games.  That's why I wish we had more Canadian born players on the Canucks. Its not even that I'm a staunch nationalist, I just want our team to have the best chance at winning the big prize.

Also, not that has a lot to do with who makes the NHL, but it sure would be fun to be able to watch a Canadian Canuck prospect or two play for Canada in the World Juniors again.   I feel like I have to cheer for team Sweden this year.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Crimson JH said:

I think this is all hogwash about nationalism favours in NHL to win the Cup final. The Washington Capitals won the cup back in 2018 with fewest Canadians (8) on their rosters.

8 regular is still more than 0.. holtby at the time was pretty close to elite and tom wilson is a game changer

of coz it's relevant.. because canadians grew up as a kid dreaming of winning the cup and have the drive and motivation.. most the other countries prolly ain't thinking about hockey or stanley cups till their early teens.. 

we can argue all we want about saying it's irrelevant etc etc.. but outside of the detroit red wings.. name me 1 cup winning team.. or 1 cup finalist that doesn't have an "impact" canadian star with a significant role on the team since the salary cap era?? or quite possibly even before the salary cap era going back to the 90s?? maybe there's like 2 or 3 in total?

vegas.. no need to list

colorado- makar mackinnon

tampa- stamkos points

st louis- binnington RoR

washington- holtby wilson

pittsburgh- crosby letang fleury

chicago- seabrook keith toews

boston bergeron marchand recchi

anaheim getzlaf perry niedermeyer pronger

carolina ward staal

and outside of the star players.. most if not all of the roster have close to 50% or more canadians that are regulars on it.. the canucks have 1 that's currently a regular.. PDG who probably wouldn't even be a regular on most teams in the league. Canadians in general just simply have that extra drive and gear to grind when things gets tough in the playoff and bear down because hockey is their national pride. 

edited ok we have myers too but he's like mr irrelevant here to most fans

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, kilgore said:

Yes it does. 

I don't know how any Vancouver hockey fan would not want more Canadians. As someone pointed out, we are named the Canucks ffs.

Someone on here said Chicago won their last cup with 90% Canadians.  Both St. Louis and Los Vegas were the teams in the league the years they won, with the most Canadian players.  Coincidence?

Its not about the regular season, where Euros and Yanks are just as professional and productive as Canadian players. Its about the post season.  Only an opinion but I think Canadian born players have an edge in the playoffs. Just because of the culture they grew up with. Where hockey is a religion and HNIC is must watch for sports fans.  Winning the Stanley Cup is the ultimate.  For Euros its World Championships that they prize the most.  Americans grow up where football is king, and hockey is regarded below even golf. Not saying that there are some Euros and Yanks that DO cherish the Cup more than anything and rise to the same level of passion as Canadians, its just that there are fewer percent of them than Canadians.  Just for cultural reasons alone.

That's the mental edge a Canadian player has over other nationalities. It may not be much, but every edge a team can get to win a Cup helps. IMO its that slight extra desire and push in every shift, that wins playoff games.  That's why I wish we had more Canadian born players on the Canucks. Its not even that I'm a staunch nationalist, I just want our team to have the best chance at winning the big prize.

Also, not that has a lot to do with who makes the NHL, but it sure would be fun to be able to watch a Canadian Canuck prospect or two play for Canada in the World Juniors again.   I feel like I have to cheer for team Sweden this year.

Won't disagree with this.   Aside that pretty sure the Olympic Gold is held in the highest esteem in a lot of European countries.     Forsberg has his own stamp.    From his incredible Norway performance (and Lindros held out so also got to play).   Also pretty sure EP said that was his ultimate (correct me if i'm wrong, but it's somewhere in the grey matter).  

So yes, there are some Europeans that regard the holy grail as second fiddle.    They don't necessarily, grow up thinking of the Stanley Cup, but rather a gold medal.    Part of that has to be, because of their culture and all the history around the hero's of the past.    They've had a lot of them for sure.     Russia has their own thing going on too.   And aside from what their leader is doing in Ukraine, don't be-grudge them for it.    

If you look at Vegas's full roster last playoffs, it's telling.     I'm a big Mark Stone fan.  He's an excellent player, if he was a center, would have challenged Bergeron a lot more do the Selke.   Selfless, strong two-way  hard nosed hockey is our go to.   Team above all else.   Also agreed with Don Cherry,  that "don't give me a 20 point European"  "we've got hundreds of those waiting for their shot" etc, right here in Canada.  

In the end, I truly don't care if our team is made up mostly of Swedes and US players.   US players are a lot like ours now.    But also do secretly desire, that our roster would be capable of exactly the same, with 100% Canadians.    Thing is, one of our competitive advantages as an organization, is our connection to Sweden.   Gradin to present time.   Sedins and Naslund are in the rafters, and rightly so, for a reason.    Ohlund.   Nobody would dare say he was soft.    And there is a lot of butterflies currently playing, that came out of the CHL born on Canadian soil.

Game has changed.  Rare that players literally fight their way into the line-up.   Fighting has been gone from the grass roots levels for a decade now really.    And now is banned.   Still think we are the main boss at the end of the game, but the US is going to take us down (eventually), considering their population is 10 times ours, we've done an admirable job to date.    Still, our farm boys and climate, isn't hospitable.   Small town Canada will always have something that is hard to find in most countries.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1