What would you do with Huberdeau ?

4 hours ago, Blue said:

This is looking like the worst ever. 

I wonder what the worst ever as a percent of the cap actually is. And that is saying something in this league. 

So what would you do ? Let him play and hope for an injury ? It is only a matter of if, not when he gets bought out. Is there any way a Horton for Clarkson type deal could be made ? 

Or maybe a mega trade and buyout. A non cap team could trade for him and demand a ransom from Calgary to do it. 

Id play him for 2 more years and then buy him out  

Try and move him to NJ for Timo Meier (with some slight retention) and sell NJ on the idea of Huberdeau killing it with Jack Hughes. 

I would look at him, and then look to Allvin and thank him for not having anywhere near that bad a contract on our team.  

Trade Kuzmenko to them for all their firsts, plus Andersson, Zary and 50% retention for the remainder of his deal (with 25% on top of that flipped elsewhere).  Then his deal would be... alright?

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I would look at him, and then look to Allvin and thank him for not having anywhere near that bad a contract on our team.  

Trade Kuzmenko to them for all their firsts, plus Andersson, Zary and 50% retention for the remainder of his deal (with 25% on top of that flipped elsewhere).  Then his deal would be... alright?

New GM can't be that deranged

4 hours ago, Blue said:

It's basically a buyout proof contract. 

You'd think that Treliving would have pumped the brakes on the buyout proofing during negotiations. But nope, he was too clueless for that.

Any 30+ or max contract should be as buyout friendly as possible. 

What is the point of buyout proofing anyway ? Taxes ? Bc it prevents players from double dipping. He's going to live the rest of his career in abject shame. 

sure hope Petey is looking hard at this contract and how it could affect the rest of his career.

If you are the Flames, you hope at some point during the contract, he has a resurgence like Erik Karlsson did last season, and that atleast makes him movable.

As a Canucks fan, I am enjoying this situation because the Flames made fun of the Loui Eriksson contract for years, and now they have a like significant worse version of the same thing.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

If you are the Flames, you hope at some point during the contract, he has a resurgence like Erik Karlsson did last season, and that atleast makes him movable.

As a Canucks fan, I am enjoying this situation because the Flames made fun of the Loui Eriksson contract for years, and now they have a like significant worse version of the same thing.

Well, we bought out our mistake (which originated from the Eriksson signing) and have yet to really face the consequences of it.  But Huberdeau's buyout structure looks like a complete nightmare.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Well, we bought out our mistake (which originated from the Eriksson signing) and have yet to really face the consequences of it.  But Huberdeau's buyout structure looks like a complete nightmare.

All Jimbo had to do was wait 1 more year for the contact to expire... That OEL trade cemented Benning as the worst GM in Canucks history

5 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I wouldn't touch Huberdeau with a 39 and a half foot pole 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'd take the seasick crocodile.....

The three words that best describe [Huberdeau] are as follows, and I quote, "Stink, Stank Stunk."

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Such a bad buyout, might as well just wait it out to be honest. At least Kadri is sort of producing at a 50-60 point pace (for a 7M cap hit is wild), but Huby is a mess. They'll probably just ride and die with him but I'd be looking elsewhere for a big trade, probably with some cap retained and giving up futures/picks to move him to a basement team then use the cap space to sign some free agents in the off-season. That's the only way I can see them boost their value quickly if they still want to contend.

If I ran the team I'd blow it up and sell now. They're never going to be competitive now, their cupboards are bare and their surrounding teams age-wise are just so much better. They've got so many expiring contracts of young players in their prime that they could sell nicely too. Now is the perfect time to admit defeat and blow it up.

Lindholm, Tanev and Hanifin could fetch such a pretty price, you're talking at least 3 firsts and a handful of decent prospects right there. Andersson is still young and has 3 years left on a very good contract, if they wanted to move him that's another 1st + A-grade prospect at the very least. Mang, Dube and Coleman could all be sold to playoff bound teams too, and they could just run with their old bad contracts until they expire.

If they're too proud for that then you've got to think they trade Huberdeau with maybe 25% retention, give up a 1st and a prospect. Problem is I don't know if even SJS or Chicago would take him because he kind of handcuffs their rebuild too, but the first would be quite juicy. A bad contract would have to go back the other way.

• Upvote 1

Damn how does Huberdeau drop off like that lol. Wasn't he considered underrated back in Florida too. From 115 points to 3rd liner.. A buyout is expensive as fook. 

I am not convinced he is done though. May be if Flame retains significant salary, he can be traded to some team to play top 6. Kind of retarded for the Flames to demote their 10.5million man though. 

Edited by Drakrami

10 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

Calgary would have been better off even getting next to nothing in return and having that cap space  from Tak leaving than taking Hub in trade

Signing Kadri and him on retirement contracts just crippled the team       I hated when Canucks would sign those retirement UFA'S looking for highest bidder

Hindsight. Remember they legitimately believed they were cup contenders. 
That team just collapsed.  Markstrom got the yips back, Hub and Kadri both crashed and burned with big contractitis and the coach’s intrinsic toxicity wore them down. 

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Damn how does Huberdeau drop off like that lol. Wasn't he considered underrated back in Florida too. From 115 points to 3rd liner.. A buyout is expensive as fook. 

I am not convinced he is done though. May be if Flame retains significant salary, he can be traded to some team to play top 6. Kind of retarded for the Flames to demote their 10.5million man though. 

It is kind of crazy. It's not like his 115 point season came out of nowhere either, Huberdeau had 4 consecutive seasons over 1 PPG.

Huberdeau has always been more of a setup guy though and I don't think Calgary has the same depth of goal scorers that Florida had which doesn't help him. Also Calgary's PP being terrible certainly doesn't help either. Huberdeau had 22 more PP assists with Florida in 2021-22 than last season with Calgary. But even if his supporting cast in Calgary is weaker, he's still not producing as well as he should be. You do start to wonder if Sutter just really did a number on him.

14 hours ago, Blue said:

It's basically a buyout proof contract. 

You'd think that Treliving would have pumped the brakes on the buyout proofing during negotiations. But nope, he was too clueless for that.

Any 30+ or max contract should be as buyout friendly as possible. 

What is the point of buyout proofing anyway ? Taxes ? Bc it prevents players from double dipping. He's going to live the rest of his career in abject shame. 

If I was a player whose career is never guaranteed (i.e., injury, regression, combination of both, etc.), I would want to bank a pension plan as  big as possible. Add a moron for a GM and viola - buyout proof contract no matter what.

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Such a bad buyout, might as well just wait it out to be honest. At least Kadri is sort of producing at a 50-60 point pace (for a 7M cap hit is wild), but Huby is a mess. They'll probably just ride and die with him but I'd be looking elsewhere for a big trade, probably with some cap retained and giving up futures/picks to move him to a basement team then use the cap space to sign some free agents in the off-season. That's the only way I can see them boost their value quickly if they still want to contend.

If I ran the team I'd blow it up and sell now. They're never going to be competitive now, their cupboards are bare and their surrounding teams age-wise are just so much better. They've got so many expiring contracts of young players in their prime that they could sell nicely too. Now is the perfect time to admit defeat and blow it up.

Lindholm, Tanev and Hanifin could fetch such a pretty price, you're talking at least 3 firsts and a handful of decent prospects right there. Andersson is still young and has 3 years left on a very good contract, if they wanted to move him that's another 1st + A-grade prospect at the very least. Mang, Dube and Coleman could all be sold to playoff bound teams too, and they could just run with their old bad contracts until they expire.

If they're too proud for that then you've got to think they trade Huberdeau with maybe 25% retention, give up a 1st and a prospect. Problem is I don't know if even SJS or Chicago would take him because he kind of handcuffs their rebuild too, but the first would be quite juicy. A bad contract would have to go back the other way.

The best turnaround they could do ) but never happen_is relocate the team and then get an expansion team

They are a mess for years with no hope and the way it will be

Play them no matter how bad they are, let the crowds boo them , they "earned" it to be miserable where they are

Send a message to other players who do that is the consequences and take the high draft picks in the meantime, chances are the players may get a doctor to sign off or just retire or pick up their game knowing they are there to stay

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Such a bad buyout, might as well just wait it out to be honest.

I agree. 

That was true for at least one of Parise or Suter in Minny. But they chose cap hell and paying to play against Suter 🤨

I wonder what the league would look like if teams were allowed a couple compliance buyouts per year with no capture. We'd still have a salary cap. Players would still be guaranteed their money.