What would you do with Huberdeau ?

Blue

There is no rush to trade away Huberdeau.  The Flames are having a mediocre season - who knows where they'll end up in the standings.  His trade value is at an all-time low - look at the haul San Jose got for Karlsson by just waiting for the right moment.  If Calgary rushes a trade through with 50% retention, they'll get very little return and it will hurt their rebuild down the road.

On the other hand, if they are going to rebuild, they should think about trading Nazem Kadri (along with everyone else).  He has put up consistent numbers and has expressed not wanting to stick around for a rebuild.  He still has a ton of trade value, without Calgary needing to retain as much.

On 12/24/2023 at 3:13 PM, Blue said:

This is looking like the worst ever. 

I wonder what the worst ever as a percent of the cap actually is. And that is saying something in this league. 

So what would you do ? Let him play and hope for an injury ? It is only a matter of if, not when he gets bought out. Is there any way a Horton for Clarkson type deal could be made ? 

Or maybe a mega trade and buyout. A non cap team could trade for him and demand a ransom from Calgary to do it. 

Id play him for 2 more years and then buy him out  

He is not top priority for the team right now and that is saying something when he is the top paid guy. 

The team has to get it's sh*t in order first. That starts at the top. Get players that want to be there playing for them get rid of the players they know want to leave and make sure the team gets something for those players. Get all this fix and then re-evaluate where Huberdeau is next season. It probably means a re-build of the team and if true his salary doesn't matter.

• Cheers 1

On 12/25/2023 at 1:38 PM, Phil_314 said:

I would look at him, and then look to Allvin and thank him for not having anywhere near that bad a contract on our team.  

Trade Kuzmenko to them for all their firsts, plus Andersson, Zary and 50% retention for the remainder of his deal (with 25% on top of that flipped elsewhere).  Then his deal would be... alright?

Huberdeau with Elias Lindholm as a sweetener.  🙂

We give them Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, and Myers.  

I personally wouldn’t do the deal but it’s interesting to ponder.

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Hoglander

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And to be celebrated! 
311F0910-4EA6-49C4-9A99-14BFA09D3AEF.gif.94c3b7f2199ec226d1ae46880024ff80.gif

its crazy how bad he's been for cowtown. He must be very unhappy there. 

They must be primed for trying to salvage the situation. I can see them moving off Andersson for C help. 

17 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Huberdeau with Elias Lindholm as a sweetener.  🙂

We give them Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, and Myers.  

I personally wouldn’t do the deal but it’s interesting to ponder.

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Hoglander

Joshua-Bluegar-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty

If Lindholm walks we'd have just taken him from Calgary for nothing (Kuzmenko and Mikheyev aren't quite as bad as the pieces we shipped out in the OEL trade, whereas Huberdeau has term AND costs more money).  Just no.

• Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Bob Long said:

its crazy how bad he's been for cowtown. He must be very unhappy there. 

They must be primed for trying to salvage the situation. I can see them moving off Andersson for C help. 

He's actually lighting it up in January (6 points in his last 4 games), which has gotten Flames fans excited.  I honestly think Calgary is right where they should be - a mediocre, underachieving team that's sitting just outside the playoffs.  They've been overtaken by a surging Oilers/Kraken duo... but Huberdeau is looking good!

image.png.d882cf778cec1d2323e24f49b4d9d06b.png image.png.b6bfd741b9e44e3e0d1c0a4384a21768.png

On 1/13/2024 at 1:07 AM, Miss Korea said:

He's actually lighting it up in January (6 points in his last 4 games), which has gotten Flames fans excited.  I honestly think Calgary is right where they should be - a mediocre, underachieving team that's sitting just outside the playoffs.  They've been overtaken by a surging Oilers/Kraken duo... but Huberdeau is looking good!

image.png.d882cf778cec1d2323e24f49b4d9d06b.png image.png.b6bfd741b9e44e3e0d1c0a4384a21768.png

We can make fun of the Flames all day long, but reality is Huberdeau has a ton of talent.  He will likely play his way out of this and get back on track.  Doubt he will ever play up to his current contract, which is fine by me as a Canucks fan.  One less team to worry about.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We can make fun of the Flames all day long, but reality is Huberdeau has a ton of talent.  He will likely play his way out of this and get back on track.  Doubt he will ever play up to his current contract, which is fine by me as a Canucks fan.  One less team to worry about.

The bottom line is that he's just not playing good enough.  He's putting up points right now but he should be like that day in, day out.

image.png.34840b5bf09b3c7225caa3c56018d883.png

Tons of players that look like this on other teams.  But they're not making $10.5M.

19 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

The bottom line is that he's just not playing good enough.  He's putting up points right now but he should be like that day in, day out.

image.png.34840b5bf09b3c7225caa3c56018d883.png

Tons of players that look like this on other teams.  But they're not making $10.5M.

He's getting there.  I think he has 8 points in his last 8 games or something like that.  Not good enough for 10.5, but better than his 30 point pace earlier this season lol

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

He's getting there.  I think he has 8 points in his last 8 games or something like that.  Not good enough for 10.5, but better than his 30 point pace earlier this season lol

First point of December... scored on the 31st!  Just in time for a new year's kiss baby

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2024 at 6:24 AM, Canuckpuckluck1 said:

In response to the title of the thread...what would you do with Huberdeau...If I was a Calgary fan...i'd cry!

Just out right painful this year.

Is he the next Louii?

Loui was not a max contract in the 5 figure range.  They don't even remotely compare. This is far worse.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Blue said:

Loui was not a max contract in the 5 figure range.  They don't even remotely compare. This is far worse.

Yup. And even though Loui was overpaid he could at least contribute in a defensive role and on the PK. Huberdough is a puck sucker in all three zones, with and without the puck, and on all levels. 

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. And even though Loui was overpaid he could at least contribute in a defensive role and on the PK. Huberdough is a puck sucker in all three zones, with and without the puck, and on all levels. 

I got slammed back on the old site for saying that, but at least Loui wasn't useless defensively.

• ThereItIs 1