Discussion: Putin's new ban on Russian Players!

Sativika

Here's the link:

https://www.bladeofsteel.com/nhl/news/Russian-players-to-face-new-ban-from-playing-in-the-NHL

Man I hate that Putin! What does he gain by doing this?  I know a lot of what's going on has to do with the Ukraine situation.

The rest of the free world has banned Russian athletes from participating in other disciplines as a show of unity and defiance, if you will. But to impose his will with this ban? What a moron. I'm sorry. This chaps my ass. 

I get that Russians lose out on participating in International sports events because of what I previously mentioned, but to do it to your own?!?!?!?!? Man, what an obtuse way of thinking. Keep yer damn politics out of sports, Putin!!!! Mutha' F*cker!

What do y'all think about this latest development

• Sad 1

Maybe this is why Zlodeyev showed up in Abbotsford this year.

The way it's worded it sounds like it won't affect any players already in North America, just that those in Russia will need to spend a certain amount of, unspecified but speculated as 4-5, years in the KHL before they're allowed to come to the NHL. If true, we might not see any Russians drafted this year or at least not until the late rounds.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Yea. Figured that Russian players currently not in Russia are pretty much exempt from this moronic endeavour. Whew!

Seems that top Russians in the NHL entry drafts as of late are somewhat fraught with some kind of drama. As mentioned in that article of Michkov; a projected top 3 ends up chosen 7th. And as we know with our own Podz chosen 10th (An awesome get for sure!) when projected to go much earlier; a later pick because of his KHL commitments. But obviously not affected by this proposed ban. 

I'm not a political person and whenever politics come into a conversation, I'm outta there in a hurry. But................

If Putin had his way, it'd be back to the pre Gorbachev, Cold War days. I think that's what he really would like for his Mother Russia. What a dick!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

Can 

Russian sports athletes visit relatives?

We assume Ukraine has severely set Russia back. 

Putin thought this was a cake walk.

He even makes Russian opponents dissappear. 

He needs a strait jacket,and a custom fitted gag ball. Free trip no his most northern prison,and cement boots.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

A way around this would be for the NHL to change the length of time a Russian player drafted by the NHL has their rights retained by that team.  The clock maybe starts once they are eligible to leave Russia.  Then everyone only starts drafting Russians in the 2nd + round as you expect those players to take 2-4 years anyway.

Still sounds like a desperate and bad move if this turns out to be true. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Players will just defect, imo. 

I also wish the IIHF would lift the ban on Russian teams, it's not the kids fault that Putin is a psycho.  What's the point of punishing the players?

do you also wish the embargos on dozens of businesses was lifted? after all it isn't their fault that Putin invaded?

What's the point of punishing those businesses and their thousands of employees?

Tldr?

Hockey fan wants his hockey.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I also wish the IIHF would lift the ban on Russian teams, it's not the kids fault that Putin is a psycho.  What's the point of punishing the players?

Let them play if they defect.  Otherwise, no Russians allowed while Putin is allowed to continue wasting oxygen.

• Cheers 1

Ovi a Putin supporter

Zads is not

A Canucks win over Washington

p.s

Not sure if players are with the Red Army, but if they leave as deserters I would think their family pays for it

Russia put these guys in positions to represent Russia and its way of life

Doubtful there would not be repercussions if they left Russia to get rich

Edited by Ballisticsports
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Diamonds said:

Maybe this is why Zlodeyev showed up in Abbotsford this year.

The way it's worded it sounds like it won't affect any players already in North America, just that those in Russia will need to spend a certain amount of, unspecified but speculated as 4-5, years in the KHL before they're allowed to come to the NHL. If true, we might not see any Russians drafted this year or at least not until the late rounds.

Yeah I'm really glad that Zlodeyev made it over. That kid scraped his way over here and gave it his all each of the last two development camps. 

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, snowman955 said:

Can 

Russian sports athletes visit relatives?

We assume Ukraine has severely set Russia back. 

Putin thought this was a cake walk.

He even makes Russian opponents dissappear. 

He needs a strait jacket,and a custom fitted gag ball. Free trip no his most northern prison,and cement boots.

Putin also didn’t expect to be taking on the entirety of nato from a non nato country.. Not in actual boots on the ground but in tech, weaponry, and financial support.  
if he wanted Ukraine to become another Gaza Strip I’m sure he would’ve done so a year ago 

12 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Putin also didn’t expect to be taking on the entirety of nato from a non nato country.. Not in actual boots on the ground but in tech, weaponry, and financial support.  
if he wanted Ukraine to become another Gaza Strip I’m sure he would’ve done so a year ago 

Because he doesn't understand how people in civilized countries think.  The majority of the world will be grateful once he is exterminated.  There's no reason for you or anyone to pretend he deserves to be treated the same as actual people.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, sassbs said:

When you engage in war,expect the unexpected. Russia is a power house known around the globe. Ukraine however had allies that were unknown until the invasion. 

Putting is a MadMan. He not only invaded a Country,he forces his own public into war. Other than China,what other Country supports his Hitler ideas 💡 

He needs to be stopped for the sake of the rest of the Russian population. 

On 12/26/2023 at 11:25 PM, stawns said:

Its not the players they want to punish... 

Its the only way to make Putin and the ordinary Russian understand the world object to Putins war in Ukraine.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Its not the players they want to punish... 

Its the only way to make Putin and the ordinary Russian understand the world object to Putins war in Ukraine.

I get that, but it doesn't seem to be working, so stop punishing the kids and athletes.  If anything, it might give some players a way out .......... happened during the cold war.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I get that, but it doesn't seem to be working, so stop punishing the kids and athletes.  If anything, it might give some players a way out .......... happened during the cold war.

Yes agree, but Putin would advocate that as a victory...

The other issue is a lot of athletes would refuse to compete, if Russian athletes were allowed to participate... 

If I was living in any of the former eastern block countries, I'd be very concerned just about now. Nato or not... With the Orange down south of you several times suggesting he doesn't care about Nato, what's to stop the Putin continuing to regain old territories... 

Anyway that's for another day else where in the forum. 

But yes its a tough one for the athletes being held ransom....

58 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yes agree, but Putin would advocate that as a victory...

The other issue is a lot of athletes would refuse to compete, if Russian athletes were allowed to participate... 

If I was living in any of the former eastern block countries, I'd be very concerned just about now. Nato or not... With the Orange down south of you several times suggesting he doesn't care about Nato, what's to stop the Putin continuing to regain old territories... 

Anyway that's for another day else where in the forum. 

But yes its a tough one for the athletes being held ransom....

I think that wave has passed........no players seem to have an issue with Russians in the NHL, but governments might.