[Signing] Capitals sign Ethan Bear 2 Years 2.0625 AAV

8 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Poolman should've on paper done more than what he's done so far. The injuries really prevented him from seeing what that potential was.

Quite honestly, Benning may very well be the unluckiest GM ever.

Uh no.  Hamhuis took himself out of the Finals throwing a hipcheck.   Kevin McCarthy, Captain & best defenseman for the Canucks getting injured for that entire 1982 Cup run *in parctice*.  That's unlucky.  Poolman never was anything more than a 3rd pairing defenseman.

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Uh no.  Hamhuis took himself out of the Finals throwing a hipcheck.   Kevin McCarthy, Captain & best defenseman for the Canucks getting injured for that entire 1982 Cup run *in parctice*.  That's unlucky.  Poolman never was anything more than a 3rd pairing defenseman.

What kind of crystal ball do you have there? That's like saying Henrik Lundqvist was nothing more than a 7th round pick. I'd love to see you predict someone's future. My criticism here is that you are using hindsight to classify someone as if you KNEW this would be the outcome from the start.

Just now, PureQuickness said:

What kind of crystal ball do you have there? That's like saying Henrik Lundqvist was nothing more than a 7th round pick. I'd love to see you predict someone's future. My criticism here is that you are using hindsight to classify someone as if you KNEW this would be the outcome from the start.

He wasn't really anything more than that on the Jets beyond one fluke year.   That's not reading tea leaves.  That's watching him play on both teams.   We'll have to agree to disagree.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He wasn't really anything more than that on the Jets beyond one fluke year.   That's not reading tea leaves.  That's watching him play on both teams.   We'll have to agree to disagree.

It's a bit amusing because there wasn't a huge sample to draw from really. He's had some injury concerns - some were unlucky - and he's relatively fresh in terms of games played. He had a great postseason (in Winnipeg) and if all things were to align, he could've reasonably improved. Obviously that didn't happen because of the injury in which he is still on LTIR from and I'm not arguing with you there that that the signing ended up being disastrous. It's the possibility that Poolman could've developed into a Chris Tanev or Luke Schenn. No one aside from God could say otherwise.

So that's my point out of this: Who's to say that Poolman wouldn't develop more? The issue is that you said "he never was". Really?

Edited by PureQuickness

13 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

It's a bit amusing because there wasn't a huge sample to draw from really. He's had some injury concerns - some were unlucky - and he's relatively fresh in terms of games played. He had a great postseason (in Winnipeg) and if all things were to align, he could've reasonably improved. Obviously that didn't happen because of the injury in which he is still on LTIR from and I'm not arguing with you there that that the signing ended up being disastrous. It's the possibility that Poolman could've developed into a Chris Tanev or Luke Schenn. No one aside from God could say otherwise.

So that's my point out of this: Who's to say that Poolman wouldn't develop more? The issue is that you said "he never was". Really?

You don't hand out those type of contracts especially given cap constraints of the club.  Same reason this current management didn't hand the contract Bear eventually signed for another team. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Wasn't Tucker like 27 when we signed him with about 110 games of NHL experience? Sure, I guess there is a possibility he could have developed further, but the most logical conclusion is that he was a bottom pair defensemen. Every report coming out of Winnipeg said that, even the people that liked Poolman.

Saying Poolman could have developed is roughly equal to saying that Juulsen could still develop into a top 4 D. Sure, it's technically possible, but highly unlikely.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Ken Holland gave Bear a 2 year, $4.0M contract (1.5, 2.5) and in the 2nd year he was moved to Carolina.  The following year, he went to arbitration and got $2.2 and was eventually sent to Vancouver with 400k salary retained.  Now, he has signed in Wash for $2.06M.  This is what happens when 3rd pair quality D are given too much money.  It does nobody any favours.  

Credit to Allvin for not caving and paying $2M+ on a multiple year deal for a 3rd pair D.  Word was, Allvin wanted to sign him but at closer to $1M.  He let Schenn go who ended up with 3 @ 2.75 in Nashville.

Yeah, Bear thinks he way better than he is. You're exactly right though. This doesn't do anyone any favors. I think Washington finds out as early as this year that they made a mistake here, certainly by next year when they're stuck penciling him into the lineup as a plug or pressbox player.

3 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I tried to tell many on here that he wasn't in our plans as he became redundant when Hronek arrived. Like many have said, we now have usable dmen who cost way less. I sure like how this management group manages this roster. 

I couldn't agree more. Don't need this player and don't need 2 years of wasted cap to find it out either.

@aGENT ... told you he'd get multiple years at $2+ 😉 Thank the lucky stars it wasn't us. Zadorov or Bear ... easy choice lol?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You don't hand out those type of contracts especially given cap constraints of the club.  Same reason this current management didn't hand the contract Bear eventually signed for another team. 

I get what @PureQuickness is saying. Sure we never did see if he could have progressed at all but you're absolutely right about the important part.. You don't hand out yet more crap contracts for 6/7 dmen when you're already cap constrained.

Thank goodness we didn't sign that Bear contract. Total 🤢 I'm not sure but I think Wash still has some cap space so maybe it doesn't really matter for them. For us it would have been a dagger to the heart. A small one mind you but enough to do some serious damage. Our margins are so thin right now.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

A lot of drama for this deal, but good for him.

I haven't followed the caps at all this year or why they were willing to go term, are they trading someone else? 

Yeah, it’s a bit strange, because Washington is already flush with RHD. Carlson, Jensen, and TVR each have 3 years of term left as well.

There’s been a lot of smoke around Nick Jensen in the past. I wonder if the Caps have an offer for him they like, and will pull the trigger on something now that they can fill his spot with Bear.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Yeah, it’s a bit strange, because Washington is already flush with RHD. Carlson, Jensen, and TVR each have 3 years of term left as well.

There’s been a lot of smoke around Nick Jensen in the past. I wonder if the Caps have an offer for him they like, and will pull the trigger on something now that they can fill his spot with Bear.

Yeah, maybe they're feeling the pressure to move Carlson or Jensen and Bear is a replacement for that possibility. Problem is you start moving towards the defence we had last year with that type of thinking. Looks good on paper when you're saving money until he actually has to play 70 games.

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

He has had major surgery and rehabilitation. Who knows what player you’re getting. 

Yup, besides being a bottom pairing guy no one knows how his shoulder will hold up. He's not an overly big player who already has tones of problems clearing the net area of opposition.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, besides being a bottom pairing guy no one knows how his shoulder will hold up. He's not an overly big player who already has tones of problems clearing the net area of opposition.

I like his story, I think he is rad. I hope he actually gets into broadcasting after his career cause he is that likable. However, he has topped out. Best case scenario he gets back to the level he was at when he got hurt. He will not break out and win a Norris. 

• Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I get what @PureQuickness is saying. Sure we never did see if he could have progressed at all but you're absolutely right about the important part.. You don't hand out yet more crap contracts for 6/7 dmen when you're already cap constrained.

Thank goodness we didn't sign that Bear contract. Total 🤢 I'm not sure but I think Wash still has some cap space so maybe it doesn't really matter for them. For us it would have been a dagger to the heart. A small one mind you but enough to do some serious damage. Our margins are so thin right now.

..and I wish all the best for Bear (heh, so as long as its not against us).  Had no issues with his play for us.  Seems like a better person off the ice (but that's just my speculation as I really don't know the person).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

41 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, Bear thinks he way better than he is. You're exactly right though. This doesn't do anyone any favors. I think Washington finds out as early as this year that they made a mistake here, certainly by next year when they're stuck penciling him into the lineup as a plug or pressbox player.

I couldn't agree more. Don't need this player and don't need 2 years of wasted cap to find it out either.

@aGENT ... told you he'd get multiple years at $2+ 😉 Thank the lucky stars it wasn't us. Zadorov or Bear ... easy choice lol?

And my stance was always there was no way that was happening here 😉 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Rekker said:

I think it was more a case of Juulsen coming into his own that ousted Bear. If Juulsen didn't find some game the Canucks would of been more desperate for a righty like Bear. Juulsen is still a work in progress but for a tough, solid number six, seven righty, he's found money. Bear would of been battling Juulsen for the bottom spot and Alvin isn't in position to pay 2 million per year cap hit when Juulsen can do it for less than half that. 

Fixed it for you 🤪

But based on the sample size I have seen from both Bear and Jules, I would pick Jules 10 times out of 10. He does more than Bear could other than perhaps a bit of offensive side of the puck, but that isn't a deal breaker in any event as I don't see Jules vying with Boeser for the Rocket Richard any time soon. 

Good luck Bear in Washington, just don't turn into Bobby Orr v2 please, 😁

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

Poolman should've on paper done more than what he's done so far. The injuries really prevented him from seeing what that potential was.

Quite honestly, Benning may very well be the unluckiest GM ever.

He drafted some VERY good players traded for some as well but some

player simply didn’t perform once they came here and performed as soon as they got traded