[Signing] Capitals sign Ethan Bear 2 Years 2.0625 AAV

53 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

I like his story, I think he is rad. I hope he actually gets into broadcasting after his career cause he is that likable. However, he has topped out. Best case scenario he gets back to the level he was at when he got hurt. He will not break out and win a Norris. 

Yeah I could see the broadcasting angle. I like the way he honestly answers questions but doesn't hold anything back either. Very personable guy too. Seems very knowledgeable, maybe there is a coach in there too. Hockey wise though, not so much at this level. He's one of those players who had his career derailed a bit by injuries and Covid. It's tough for a marginal player to overcome that at 27 years of age, especially now coming off major injury.

21 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

2 years for 2 mill per year is not an overpayment. Let's get real here.

I think it's an overpayment in today's market if you're a cap team. You don't really want to give out multi year deals to bottom of the line-up guys unless you're rebuilding or can't attract anyone else. I guess we'll see how he does in the next several months or so.

2 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

Poolman should've on paper done more than what he's done so far. The injuries really prevented him from seeing what that potential was.

Quite honestly, Benning may very well be the unluckiest GM ever.

I think some of it was luck but there wasn’t a real solid plan in place regarding the development of drafted players or how free agents were integrated into the system. Frankly, there didn’t seem to be much of a system at play in the time Benning was here. 

• Cheers 4

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think some of it was luck but there wasn’t a real solid plan in place regarding the development of drafted players or how free agents were integrated into the system. Frankly, there didn’t seem to be much of a system at play in the time Benning was here. 

I think he panicked when new problems kept cropping up (Mostly of his own making). He tried to do everything (Which makes me think he was a bit of a control freak).

But what he needed was a good Assistant, a President to keep him in check. And a really good Capologist. He basically painted himself into a corner and kept making

questionable moves to keep filling holes. That's why it's so good to have PA/JR running the show. Lots of good people in the organization. Well maybe not running marketing and PR with the screwed up moves of critically wounding CDC.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think he panicked when new problems kept cropping up (Mostly of his own making). He tried to do everything (Which makes me think he was a bit of a control freak).

But what he needed was a good Assistant, a President to keep him in check. And a really good Capologist. He basically painted himself into a corner and kept making

questionable moves to keep filling holes. That's why it's so good to have PA/JR running the show. Lots of good people in the organization. Well maybe not running marketing and PR with the screwed up moves of critically wounding CDC.

Essentially what I’ve said. The “plan” that Benning had was more reactionary than it was methodical. He didn’t have the vision that Rutherford and Alvin have had that clearly is working. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Essentially what I’ve said. The “plan” that Benning had was more reactionary than it was methodical. He didn’t have the vision that Rutherford and Alvin have had that clearly is working. 

Out of curiosity, what would you say Allvin/JR’s plan is?

I think the plan was to execute a 2-3 year build around Petey/Hughes/Miller.  Not all in - keeping 1sts and working NCAA etc routes to build up Abby / prospects. 

-Move on from Bo (cap and culture wise and better defining the top 6 / bottom 6)

-use the OEL buyout to leverage a capped out league.

-completely overhaul the back end and bottom 6. 

-prioritize elements of size, speed, PK and defensive play

-Target mid/late 20s veterans who are good but not core players - the ones really feeling the cap squeeze

-be aggressive in shuffling the roster, picking up mid level assets by selling and turning around to use them to buy for cheap… without forcing anything.  On this, I really wonder if Allvin makes all his buying trades if he wasn’t able to make the little sales as well.  

In any case, it’s been a masterclass so far.  Hope he keeps it up.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

I think the plan was to execute a 2-3 year build around Petey/Hughes/Miller.  Not all in - keeping 1sts and working NCAA etc routes to build up Abby / prospects. 

-Move on from Bo (cap and culture wise and better defining the top 6 / bottom 6)

-Target mid/late 20s veterans who are good but not core players - the ones really feeling the cap squeeze

-be aggressive in shuffling the roster, picking up mid level assets by selling and turning around to use them to buy for cheap… without forcing anything.  On this, I really wonder if Allvin makes all his buying trades if he wasn’t able to make the little sales as well.  

I think you spoke about the plan perfectly. Everything they’ve done has had a purpose and reason to it. The way they’ve restructured the back end is amazing. 

• Cheers 1

You are correct in your assessment IMHO.

Hopefully he still adds some size up front this year. It would be a shame not to add for a playoff push and success this year without mortgaging the farm.

You never can count on being this close again next season. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, The Duke said:

As it stands we’re going to need a bargain piece at 3RD next season

I have full confidence in this management and pro scouting department to be able to find a bargain option as the #6 dman in free agency or minor trade. Joshua, Suter, Lafferty, Blueger, Cole, Soucy and DeSmith have all been excellent pickups. The only wiffs they have had would be Lazar and Studnicka even then they flipped them for a 4th and 6th.

13 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I have full confidence in this management and pro scouting department to be able to find a bargain option as the #6 dman in free agency or minor trade. Joshua, Suter, Lafferty, Blueger, Cole, Soucy and DeSmith have all been excellent pickups. The only wiffs they have had would be Lazar and Studnicka even then they flipped them for a 4th and 6th.

So do I, but they were also interested in Bear.  In any case, no reason not to trust the process.

Edited by The Duke

So do I, but they were also interested in Bear.  In any case, no reason not to trust the process.

They WERE interested in Bear when our defense core was really Bad. :classic_biggrin:

There has not been any room for him for some time now.

• ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, EdgarM said:

They WERE interested in Bear when our defense core was really Bad. :classic_biggrin:

Yeah, I think he’d struggle to get into this lineup when we are fully healthy, but would play ahead of Juulsen at the moment. (Assuming minimal rust on Bear - and that’s a fair concern.)

Next season we’ll struggle to keep the UFAs, that’s where I saw more value in him.  I obviously rate him higher than those on this board - 2 mil will likely still be a bargain point for him next year.  

In any case we couldn’t afford that pro rated for this year though if I understand how it all works.  

Not a big deal - I’m sure Allvin will keep rolling.

• ThereItIs 1

On 12/27/2023 at 8:15 AM, EdgarM said:

I tried to tell many on here that he wasn't in our plans as he became redundant when Hronek arrived. Like many have said, we now have usable dmen who cost way less. I sure like how this management group manages this roster. 

He was in the team's plans but he got injured and the team was right to not qualify him. A cap hit at a hair above 2m per for a good skating, puck moving right handed defenseman who can play up and down the defense is a good deal. The team needs another puck mover, he would have fit in, however the management group had to add at the defense position due to injuries earlier on and went with Zadorov ( another need on the back end ), but they were trying to make a deal work for Bear.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Combover said:

Good non signing 2mill per 

hes a depth 5-7 guy

good for him and good job by PA steering clear

funny most think  Myers is  a 2 mill defender so that says everything you need to know about Myers. 

No way Myers see's under $ 4m per on his next contract if he goes to market. Would be shocked.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

No way Myers see's under $ 4m per on his next contract if he goes to market. Would be shocked.

I could see maybe -/+ $3.5, discounted, trade/movement claused, on a contending team, in a bid to win a cup... But yeah...

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Your probably right. It will be a personal choice for him if he wants to stay in Vancouver, for less. With the Canucks cap crunch I could see a 2 year deal on the table at 3 million per. And really that may be the same type offer from most contending teams. 

41 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

He was in the team's plans but he got injured and the team was right to not qualify him. A cap hit at a hair above 2m per for a good skating, puck moving right handed defenseman who can play up and down the defense is a good deal. The team needs another puck mover, he would have fit in, however the management group had to add at the defense position due to injuries earlier on and went with Zadorov ( another need on the back end ), but they were trying to make a deal work for Bear.

Good post, Mike.  Bear put in hard minutes with the Canucks and proved his NHL worthiness

before his injury.  He would have continued developing with Tocc as coach, but in the end,

the Nucks just didn't have the cap to fit him in.

I am happy for him and hoping he does well in Washington.  Good luck Ethan!

14 hours ago, EdgarM said:

They were still kicking tires as he is an upgrade on Juulsen at this point but term is and rightfully was a no go. Both with our cap situation plus his injury history anything beyond this year is also a pass. He's not enough of an upgrade to warrant term and if we can extend Zadorov at a reasonable hit maybe with the time someone from within the system can step up and fill that role as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

I disagree, have you seen the defenseman(Soucy,Zad,Cole) we acquired since? Big physical bodies who can clear the front of the net. You know, like for the playoffs? :classic_biggrin:

Like I mentioned in another post, he was only going to replace Hronek or Hughes if they were injured or be a bottom 6/7 guy. A nice to have, but not a neccesity. 

We wanted him at an entry level price and he wanted more. Obviously we know what his price is now and I am sure he knew that at the end of last year. I am sure we told him what we were wiling to pay and he wasn't interested. 

It all worked out for the best though.

Edited by EdgarM

16 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The trade for Zadorov, along with how he and Myers have played most nights, really shut the door on a potential Bear signing. Juulsen has also been good as an injury fill-in.

With Soucy coming back soon, I don’t see the team adding another defender, except maybe a depth vet at the deadline for the playoffs. The exception would be if there is a good enough deal upgrade Myers, but that will be tough to find (without paying a lot for).