[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Philadelphia Flyers, Rogers Arena, Dec 28, 7PM PST - the *snort* *wheeze* *too much turkey* LET'S PLUCK the FLYERS' Wings Game

Rocket-68

Santa is Bringing Late Presents  

90 members have voted

1. 1. There is one more trade on the immediate horizon, this is what PA / JR will do in January getting a jump on the TDL

• Fire the Angry Elf out of a cannon to clear cap space - (Author: my thought / not yours necessarily is Podz will be given a chance to bash and crash)
    • Are you high, Elf stays, now Kuzy will be showcased and will become a human cannon ball in January ... gotta give up to step up
    • Nothing, January will be for seeing if the club trajectory stays the course.
    • Sadly, with Carson Soucy coming back in a few weeks the cap casualty will be Ian Cole given others have really come into their own on D - (Author: this is a pipe dream I know)
    • None of the above, wow the egg nogg is really hitting you hard ... see my thoughts on the next 4 weeks in comments below.
  2. 2. in honor of AatuD2, select from below for Lotto Max Tickets. If we hit, all that voted here (in poll #2) will get stuffed into a box suite and receive massive check as a share of the prize. I have picked 4 numbers already. Will post ticket in PGT.

• Yes, exciting but I don't want to watch a Canucks game while you give me a check so I am out. Note: First time to make voters public for obvious reason.

Considering the number of games between Vancouver, LA and LV still to come not surprised they put Colorado up higher.  
Whoever wins the Pacific, assuming they win the west has it relatively easy in the first round, the other series between 2-3 in the Pacific is killer and the second round series in the Pacific will result in 2 of the top 3 teams in the NHL currently go out.  I can see them favouring a proven winner like the Avs over the Pacific death March to come. 
Edmonton is egregious, I still doubt they make the playoffs.

Other than that I think it is fair, we have shown nothing for a decade and have been hot this year so far but I wouldn’t put us at very high odds because most likely scenario is we need to go through LA and LV to even get to the WC finals and then find enough to beat one of Dallas/Avs/Winnipeg. That is tough row to ho. 

1 minute ago, greenbean30 said:

Making the trip from Kamloops for this one! Lets go boys!

Good for you and enjoy the game. Post a pic or two from your seats during the game. Always a good time and we can share a bit of the experience with you. 

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!

• Like 2

Question for those much more knowledgeable than myself.

A player on an entry level contract fulfills his duty and is then an RFA (team controlled) - well understood.

On the next contract, does the team have to "qualify" said player? Could the said player refuse any offer and insist on a qualifying transaction contract for 1-year thus walking into UFA after the end? Does the afore-mentioned player have any leverage in forcing a 1-year-then-UFA contract ... *cough* *cough* Bedard?

I do understand that superstars, assuming someone like Bedard emerges from his ELC as one, has huge leverage in whatever direction they chose to go, I am just asking on the mechanics of the contract leverage and who holds the hammer along the way. 

Edited by Rocket-68

12 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

A player on an entry level contract fulfills his duty and is then an RFA (team controlled) - well understood.

On the next contract, does the team have to "qualify" said player? Could the said player refuse any offer and insist on a qualifying transaction contract for 1-year thus walking into UFA after the end? Does the afore-mentioned player have any leverage in forcing a 1-year-then-UFA contract ... *cough* *cough* Bedard?

I do understand that superstars, assuming someone like Bedard emerges from his ELC as one, has huge leverage in whatever direction they chose to go, I am just asking on the mechanics of the contract leverage and who holds the hammer along the way. 

People smarter than me will correct but I think players are RFA after drafted until 25 years old, or 7 years in the league. So We’ll get Bedard just before his prime 🤩

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

23 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Yes the team qualifies or releases.   They can sign the QO should they choose.  Unless they are a much older rookie that wouldn’t lead them to UFA. 
Eventually they earn arbitration rites as does the team, but that isn’t after the rookie contract, not sure exactly all the qualifications for arbitration rites. 
In theory they could use arbitration to take them up to a UFA year but some math needs to go into that. 

• Thanks 1

I'm a bit of a Canada homer, so I note that Philly has 8 Canadian born players, while we have only 1 in Myers. It used to be that Canadian toughness dictated the playoffs, but I'm not so sure that's still the case. Looking at the current crop of World Junior players, there's a lot of good young Canadians coming up. It will be interesting to see how they do against D Petey, Willander, Lekkerimaki and the rest of the Swedes.

I'm betting on our Canucks international team tonight. Revenge time.

8 minutes ago, KFAN said:

I'm a bit of a Canada homer, so I note that Philly has 8 Canadian born players, while we have only 1 in Myers. It used to be that Canadian toughness dictated the playoffs, but I'm not so sure that's still the case. Looking at the current crop of World Junior players, there's a lot of good young Canadians coming up. It will be interesting to see how they do against D Petey, Willander, Lekkerimaki and the rest of the Swedes.

Myers isn't Canadian born (Austin, Texas) but he grew up in Canada and is Canadian. Noah Juulson is Canadian born though, local guy from Abbotsford

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, KFAN said:

First GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!

Canucks have the much loved Giraffe, Pizza Man, Souced-out-of-his-mind-24/7, Fried Green Tomatoes, Donkey as resident Canadians with a number in Abby.

While I wouldn't call us a "send us to the Spengler to represent Canada" squad, we have Canadians both on team and below. 

Proud Canadian first then Ukranian/Russian (I stand with Ukraine) second, I would cheer on my Canucks if 100% of them were a mix of Latvians, Italians and Arcturians (if you know, you know) players. GO CANUCKS GO

• Cheers 2