Mid year review: 6 teams are locked in west conference playoff

Tank

10 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Anyone else miss the days when you'd check the standings and it would just straight up tell you who was ranked 1-8 and anything divisional was just a bonus.

The way it is now is old school, the way it was back in the 80s when you always faced your divisional opponents.

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I like it better this way.  Heated rivalries develop from multiple playoff encounters.

I tend to agree, though most people my age are nostalgic for the way it was in the early 2000s. Some contend that this artificially manufactures rivalries, though I'm not sure I agree with that reasoning.

• Cheers 2

For the last number of years @Provost has played a game with everyone where he "knew more".  He called out the Canucks early in the year, every year and said they would not make the playoffs.  He did it year after year even though it pushed peoples buttons. Probably because it pushed peoples buttons.

Hey Provost.  Hey know it all. Calling you out.  Where is your original topic stating the Canucks are odds on favourites to make the playoffs this year? Surely you are safe to post this now?

Or are you only here to annoy the other posters and pretend to be a big shot?

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I tend to agree, though most people my age are nostalgic for the way it was in the early 2000s. Some contend that this artificially manufactures rivalries, though I'm not sure I agree with that reasoning.

I love finding ways to make divisional rivalries stronger, which I think the current format does. However, rivalries like Detroit and Colorado of the late 90s/early 00s and the Canucks and Blackhawks from ~2008-13 are very unlikely to occur now and I think it's a shame.

4 hours ago, Diamonds said:

I love finding ways to make divisional rivalries stronger, which I think the current format does. However, rivalries like Detroit and Colorado of the late 90s/early 00s and the Canucks and Blackhawks from ~2008-13 are very unlikely to occur now and I think it's a shame.

Not sure what you guys are talking about.   It's been two games in the East, one at home one at their arena for a very long time now.    And 4 (now 3 too!) games per division as well.    Can anyone shed some light on this? 

Leagues bloated so they have to make the schedule.    It's been a very long time, since we played a divisional rival more than 4 times a season hasn't it?   

We won't ever see something like Detroit and COL or even CHI and VAN (sorry you guys missed the early 90's CAL one, those were nasty fight filled affairs, same with WNP).    The hate needs to grow; and that takes playoff reps.   COL/DET met in the playoffs 7 times during that period.  Best rivalry in majors sports.  COL 4, DET 3.   You have to meet in the playoffs.   Nords beating a still great MTL team ignited theirs.   And CAL did everything but move mountains to keep up with EDM in the 80's.   Everyone wanted to watch those games.    The current format, would need to add more games, and take away from others, to even come close to that.  Which it simply, can't do.    Best case is meeting each other in the playoffs.   With parity, it's not easy.    Rivalries are pretty much dead, and have been for quite awhile.    4 games isn't enough.    When was the last real rivalry anyways?   Probably VAN - CHI.    Before that VAN-COL but we weren't their man rivalry. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not sure what you guys are talking about.   It's been two games in the East, one at home one at their arena for a very long time now.    And 4 (now 3 too!) games per division as well.    Can anyone shed some light on this? 

Leagues bloated so they have to make the schedule.    It's been a very long time, since we played a divisional rival more than 4 times a season hasn't it?   

We won't ever see something like Detroit and COL or even CHI and VAN (sorry you guys missed the early 90's CAL one, those were nasty fight filled affairs, same with WNP).    The hate needs to grow; and that takes playoff reps.   COL/DET met in the playoffs 7 times during that period.  Best rivalry in majors sports.  COL 4, DET 3.   You have to meet in the playoffs.   Nords beating a still great MTL team ignited theirs.   And CAL did everything but move mountains to keep up with EDM in the 80's.   Everyone wanted to watch those games.    The current format, would need to add more games, and take away from others, to even come close to that.  Which it simply, can't do.    Best case is meeting each other in the playoffs.   With parity, it's not easy.    Rivalries are pretty much dead, and have been for quite awhile.    4 games isn't enough.    When was the last real rivalry anyways?   Probably VAN - CHI.    Before that VAN-COL but we weren't their man rivalry. 

I was mostly referring to that the first 2 playoff rounds are now almost guaranteed against a divisional opponent which theoretically should build more divisional rivalry. So now it's rare to run into a non-divisional opponent multiple times within a couple years. Detroit-Colorado and Vancouver-Chicago were not in the same divisions, but were in the same conferences.

Yep, it used to be that we only played Eastern conference teams once a year which meant more games against other non-divisional but same conference teams. I agree with you that as much as the playoffs build rivalries, if the teams don't really meet in the regular season then they tend to die out pretty quickly. Now it feels like being part of the Western Conference doesn't really mean much as we will never play Chicago more than 3 times. 

I appreciate that it's now a guarantee that you get to see an Eastern Conference superstar in your own building every year (Crosby and Ovechkin for example) rather than every two years, but I think I would still rather have those 16 games added to conference opponents instead. Make it 5 games a year against divisional opponents and 4 against other conference opponents. It might make it tougher to make playoffs in harder divisions, but since the first two rounds are likely against a divisional opponent anyway it somewhat balances out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Tank changed the title to Mid year review: 6 teams are locked in west conference playoff
On 12/28/2023 at 12:05 PM, -AJ- said:

The way it is now is old school, the way it was back in the 80s when you always faced your divisional opponents.

It was great...I liked it that way but it did make for some hard times in the 80s for Hartford, Vancouver, LA and Winnipeg.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

On 12/28/2023 at 10:29 AM, Wilbur said:

Goes to show you how steep a mountain the Oilers need to climb.

19 hours ago, Tank said:

mid year review: still, top 6 locked for playoff

image.thumb.png.2ea2a80c089215633089b58d7b3812f9.png

Looks like the Oilers are climbing it still.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 4:27 PM, Theo5789 said:

Looks like the Oilers are climbing it still.

Amazing what a difference a coaching change can make.  The question now is whether he's a Boudreau change (half a season) or Tocchet.  I'm surprised, really, given the D and Goal tending issues.  At least the coaching has addressed the structure issues and now there's some support from the forwards in the defensive end.

8 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They'll probably sneak into a wild card spot but to what purpose?  Yeah "in the playoffs anything can happen".  Not with that goaltending & blueline.

Yep, I don't know if Vancouver can beat LA or Vegas in a 7 game series yet, but Edmonton ain't beating Vancouver and they don't stand a chance with the other 2 this season. 

On 12/28/2023 at 7:29 PM, Wilbur said:

Goes to show you how steep a mountain the Oilers need to climb.

They are in I think. They have the last wild card spot have games in hand also they are +20 in Goal differential. 

By the end of the regular season it I think they will be one of the powerhouses of the West. 

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

They are in I think. They have the last wild card spot have games in hand also they are +20 in Goal differential. 

By the end of the regular season it I think they will be one of the powerhouses of the West. 

But more vulnerable to injury than anyone else due to their reliance on McDavid 

20 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Team isn’t anywhere near deep enough to be a powerhouse