PGT - Flyers at Canucks - 12/28/23

PhillipBlunt

3 hours ago, Dom said:

7 game road trip in 11 nights. If they prove me wrong that's great, but I don't think they will. They struggle HARD in the first period, and in other barns that's gonna be an issue. 

They struggle hard in the first?

Arent they one of the best teams for scoring first?

They are tied for 6th in goal differential in the first. https://www.bestodds.com/odds/nhl/fptb/

• Cheers 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

Go back in time and start Demko! right now.

Why didn't Demko play?

So much time before the next game, did they have to lay a stinky and leave us fans with days to mumble and grumble? 

Not cool Nucks, not cool.

Because he's not a machine. And we have a capable backup. Load Management for both goalies is a good thing.

Wouldn't have changed the outcome. Which goal(s) would Demko have been able to stop? DeSmith was the least of the problems last night.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Because he's not a machine. And we have a capable backup. Load Management for both goalies is a good thing.

Wouldn't have changed the outcome. Which goal(s) would Demko have been able to stop? DeSmith was the least of the problems last night.

Demko is better and the team just had 4 days off. He should not have been tired. Wouldnt effect work load. But I am sure there was a reason. Us fans dont need to know everything. 

Didn't say DeSmith was the biggest problem. 

Dont think I have to tell you that Demko, however, has a habit of stealing games for us. 

12 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Lol ... but ... but ... but ... according to Canucks fans, Torts is not a good coach. 

To be fair, Torts is a good coach in general but he severely gave up on the Canucks from the moment he was signed. Players have been on record saying that he didn't even have 1 on 1 chats with a lot of the players until months into the season. Nothing in the offseason as far as introductions, nothing during practices to check in on players, nothing to see how their personal lives were going. He mailed it in when he came to Vancouver after a rough stint the time before and tried to coast, but this team collapsing woke him up to be better again. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Bang on, that team did not want to do the "Staples" needed to win. Didn't he say the team was "stale"? 

I see Tocc and Torts very similar in coaching style, the difference is that Tocc has been able to get the team to "buy in" for the most part where the team just completely shut down for Torts.

Canucks have bought in, but haven't mastered the style of play.  Still a lot of hockey left in the

season, so it will be interesting how things pan out; will they be contenders or 1st rounders

in April?

Tocc is a patient man, who knows the team comes from a 'country club' atmosphere.  Like any

abrupt change, the final step to make it 100% is always the toughest. I think he will get them

there in due time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Demko is better and the team just had 4 days off. He should not have been tired. Wouldnt effect work load. But I am sure there was a reason. Us fans dont need to know everything. 

Dont think I have to tell you that Demko, however, has a habit of stealing games for us. 

The Canucks are very secretive about injuries, so maybe he tweaked something earlier on

and they don't want to take any chances.   If he doesn't play in the next game, I will be

a bit concerned.

Or, after a couple of years of running him into the ground, perhaps they just want to rest

him up as much as possible.  The coming road trip is a nasty one.

• Upvote 2

You know, with their record this season I don't really care about the occasional stinker. They sucked last night, but oh well? It's in seasons past where they would suck for weeks in a row that made me sick to my stomach.

Remember when the 2010/2011 team lost 5-2 to the last place Oilers? Even great teams lay eggs once in a while, just move on to the next one.

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

My hunch is Tocc saw that the guys didn't have their legs or timing at the game day skate and made the back up the sacrificial lamb to the bad game to keep Demko's confidence up.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

the schedule allowed us to rest our starting goalie for 10 days mid-season. Maybe a brilliant move for keeping Demmer healthy.

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Dom said:

He's had one bad game lmfao guys been on fire this year. Give it a rest. 

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Boeser was lousy tonight and in a perfect world would be scratched for his effort tonight. That said, highly unlikely and he has also rightfully earned some extra rope too. 

For a coach wanting accountability it’s a valid point. Is it going to happen? No, and in fairness to Boeser his play this year has kind of earned him that. Doesn’t change that he was absolutely lousy last night. 

33 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

To be fair, Torts is a good coach in general but he severely gave up on the Canucks from the moment he was signed. Players have been on record saying that he didn't even have 1 on 1 chats with a lot of the players until months into the season. Nothing in the offseason as far as introductions, nothing during practices to check in on players, nothing to see how their personal lives were going. He mailed it in when he came to Vancouver after a rough stint the time before and tried to coast, but this team collapsing woke him up to be better again. 

That may all be true, well it is, but the roster was a severe country club of loafing at that point too. I don't really blame Torts much at all for his actions here. The team was actually doing quite well for half a year until they gave up when Torts asked for more buy in. That's the part that stood out to me as a fan. He's been pretty damn successful in the NHL as a coach. I don't think anyone can deny that.

So many folks got all upitty at him suggesting his best players (Sedin's) kill penalties but yet are so proud that Petey, Hughes and Miller do the same. For me it was just a microcosm of how lazy and entitled that team and the fans were. People almost rolled over and died when he expected his players to work hard and buy in, and they're still making excuses and bitching to this very day.

Also, super funny how he went out and won coach of the year a couple seasons later. 😆 Pretty much says it all.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

the schedule allowed us to rest our starting goalie for 10 days mid-season. Maybe a brilliant move for keeping Demmer healthy.

Yeah, could be.

That said, I remember Demko being a guy that performed better when being active. However, we dont need to break him physically. He needs his health to hoist the cup. 

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, could be.

That said, I remember Demko being a guy that performed better when being active. However, we dont need to break him physically. He needs his health to hoist the cup. 

yep Green rode him too hard and we saw the collapse that resulted from that. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Exactly. Finally someone who gets it.

Yes, very similar about the staples and sacrifices, also being uncomfortable. It's funny because now we have a priority on blocking shots too. 

People just couldn't handle him and melted down. But Torts was proven right ... AND went on to win coach of the year. 

The Sedins actually appreciated Torts and Torts defended them against the perception of them being soft. 

Its just basic hockey and I think why Team Canada in the World Juniors has been so successful, especially the teams from years ago. They just worked hard and never let up. The stars checked and played the right way , that's how Canadians's play. 

The other thing I have noticed is that we do not identify physical teams like Philly and attack them with physicality right off the bat. Maybe they wouldn't take liberties like they did last night with Desmith and the other game with Petey. 

The good thing about this team is that I think they realize they know what they need to do to win and take the Coaches lead seriousy. They are learning to win its just going to take some time.

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

1st Hronek is a new player so he didn't play for the past coaches.

So what you are saying is that Hughes, Miller Petey and Demko is the problem with this team. That's your logic not mine

The thing is if we don't give up a stupid penalty, and ensuing lucky goal leading to a 5 minute implosion the game is basically even. Decent chance we tie or win the game and no one mentions any of these criticism's you're launching. All in all the team was coached like it has been all year and it was well enough to get points out of it, but all 4 goals were dumb mistakes made by individual player actions. That's on the players, nothing the coach can do about Zadorov's dumb giveaway for a breakaway, Boeser's horrible d coverage on the PP, Myers dumb penalty, or Blueger and Garland's poor backcheck.

After watching us give up the game on the PP with a shorty it was clear as day to anyone with a hockey brain that the player's simply weren't as focused as the Flyers. It's on them to be better.

57 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Just like Boudreau, he was the wrong coach at the wrong time.

For example, Boudreau probably would've been a better replacement for Vigneault, and Torts would've been a better replacement for Green.  Different teams, different situations, wrong solutions.

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Go back in time and start Demko! right now.

Why didn't Demko play?

So much time before the next game, did they have to lay a stinky and leave us fans with days to mumble and grumble? 

Not cool Nucks, not cool.

Wouldn't have made a difference who was in net as the D (Myers/Zadarov) played really bad last night. The entire team look kind a flat the entire night so wasn't the goalies fault at all. None of those big men delivered any hits last night!!! They should split those 2 away from each other. 

Just now, RolexSub said:

Wouldn't have made a difference who was in net as the D (Myers/Zadarov) played really bad last night. The entire team look kind a flat the entire night so wasn't the goalies fault at all. None of those big men delivered any hits last night!!! They should split those 2 away from each other. 

Youre right.

My point was that Demko has been known to steal games. 

14 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yeah, could be.

Demko objectively gives us a better chance to win - that's an indisputable fact.  But the team did not look ready to play last night.  They couldn't move up the puck at all.  Breakouts were slower and took longer.  Passes were not crisp and disrupted the flow of our offense.  Even if we used Demko, he would've had zero goal support.  That's bubble strategy - not a good tactic at all.

• Cheers 1