PGT - Flyers at Canucks - 12/28/23

PhillipBlunt

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That may all be true, well it is, but the roster was a severe country club of loafing at that point too. I don't really blame Torts much at all for his actions here. The team was actually doing quite well for half a year until they gave up when Torts asked for more buy in. That's the part that stood out to me as a fan. He's been pretty damn successful in the NHL as a coach. I don't think anyone can deny that.

So many folks got all upitty at him suggesting his best players (Sedin's) kill penalties but yet are so proud that Petey, Hughes and Miller do the same. For me it was just a microcosm of how lazy and entitled that team and the fans were. People almost rolled over and died when he expected his players to work hard and buy in, and they're still making excuses and bitching to this very day.

Also, super funny how he went out and won coach of the year a couple seasons later. 😆 Pretty much says it all.

Right on! People don't seem to realize we had "one dimensional" players and you need more then that from them , especially from your star players, they shouldn't be immune to hard work and physical play.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

To be fair, Torts is a good coach in general but he severely gave up on the Canucks from the moment he was signed. Players have been on record saying that he didn't even have 1 on 1 chats with a lot of the players until months into the season. Nothing in the offseason as far as introductions, nothing during practices to check in on players, nothing to see how their personal lives were going. He mailed it in when he came to Vancouver after a rough stint the time before and tried to coast, but this team collapsing woke him up to be better again. 

I don't disagree with how he handled the offseason. And sure those personal connections from a leadership standpoint that he obviously learned from. He really didn't know what he was stepping into. 

But fundamentally, what he knew our flaws to be and what he was trying to do to change the culture was spot on. This team needed to be broken down and rebuilt differently with the pieces we had and the style of play needed changing. He took it to the extreme quickly ... and obviously he did so thinking he had another three years.

We're just now getting to those in our play that proved Torts to be right. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Demko is better and the team just had 4 days off. He should not have been tired. Wouldnt effect work load. But I am sure there was a reason. Us fans dont need to know everything. 

Didn't say DeSmith was the biggest problem. 

Dont think I have to tell you that Demko, however, has a habit of stealing games for us. 

Coaches got a plan.  No need to second guess everything. Had they won this wouldn't be an issue.  

Flyers goalie got injured in the third.  Hart had to go in.  Fortunately for him, Nux didnt test him at all.  Vegas lost both of their top 2 goalies, which explains their recent decline.  

34 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Its just basic hockey and I think why Team Canada in the World Juniors has been so successful, especially the teams from years ago. They just worked hard and never let up. The stars checked and played the right way , that's how Canadians's play. 

The other thing I have noticed is that we do not identify physical teams like Philly and attack them with physicality right off the bat. Maybe they wouldn't take liberties like they did last night with Desmith and the other game with Petey. 

The good thing about this team is that I think they realize they know what they need to do to win and take the Coaches lead seriousy. They are learning to win its just going to take some time.

Good points about basic hockey and work ethic. The thing for me with teams like Philly and other eastern teams is they do those extra physical and grittier mental things that give you an advantage ... and at times those aren't so nice. It's a more intense state of ready and pushback from the get-go.

Thankfully Tocchet, Foote, Gonchar... even Allvin and JR ... know we need these things to win. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Canucks have bought in, but haven't mastered the style of play.  Still a lot of hockey left in the

season, so it will be interesting how things pan out; will they be contenders or 1st rounders

in April?

Tocc is a patient man, who knows the team comes from a 'country club' atmosphere.  Like any

abrupt change, the final step to make it 100% is always the toughest. I think he will get them

there in due time. 

Well said.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

The Canucks are very secretive about injuries, so maybe he tweaked something earlier on

and they don't want to take any chances.   If he doesn't play in the next game, I will be

a bit concerned.

Or, after a couple of years of running him into the ground, perhaps they just want to rest

him up as much as possible.  The coming road trip is a nasty one.

Yup, after the last couple years giving Demko a full 10 days of rest is probably a very nice luxury and a key to keeping him healthy. It's only one game where to be honest he wouldn't have made much of a difference.

36 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Right on! People don't seem to realize we had "one dimensional" players and you need more then that from them , especially from your star players, they shouldn't be immune to hard work and physical play.

Spot on Edgar, I always find it striking how many posters have a problem with expecting the entire team to work hard and make physical sacrifices in order to win.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I always find it striking how many posters have a problem with expecting the entire team to work hard and make physical sacrifices in order to win.

This is ingrained and expected in other eastern fanbases. Especially the more tougher, grittier blue collar fanbases where hard work, pushback, and physical sacrifices are everything. 

• Upvote 1

I hope that loss ends up working in a positive way.

In that they have days now to think about it, get mad, get more serious in practice, and start the new year with a new determination and better understand they can't take nights off anymore if they want to compete with the best.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

The Canucks are very secretive about injuries, so maybe he tweaked something earlier on

and they don't want to take any chances.   If he doesn't play in the next game, I will be

a bit concerned.

Or, after a couple of years of running him into the ground, perhaps they just want to rest

him up as much as possible.  The coming road trip is a nasty one.

Could also easily be a bug going around and he's just under the weather, especially a few days after Christmas. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Should be 6 am. Like the working man has to do. Teach them they get to play a game for a living

Should be after 11am. Sleep studies show that there's a huge deficit in brain functionality at such early times in the morning. To yield the best results you have to give the players the best chance to get a long night of sleep. It'll help with energy, memory, sharpness, etc. 

Working/learning/being awake at 6am is good for less than 1% of the human population. 

• Cheers 1