PGT - Flyers at Canucks - 12/28/23

PhillipBlunt

7 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

We have Lafferty who is a physical winger but certainly not top six.  We also have Höglander who is deceptively good in the corners and has played with Petey before.  Not sure if he's earned a shot on the top line but he's our best option to shake things up.

Agree with you about Hogs, he could be a solution - at least in the short term as a shakeup.  

What would a legit top 6 be?  I think someone that can put up 50+ points and 20+ goals as the baseline.  Can hogs do that?  perhaps.  The other guy that could potentially check off the boxes (physical top 6) one day is Podkolzin.  The concern I have about Hogs/Podz playing with Petey is can they keep up with the mental chess petey plays, i dont know if they can operate at that level.    

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

These aren't kids.  They're adults.  They can be just as guilty of making errors just as much as the coaches can.  A couple players had their worst games of the season tonight.  Coach or player - there is enough blame to go around.

As long as you concede that the coach has fault as well I will concede that the players are at fault. You are right they are not kids and the blame is placed on both coach and players.

• Like 1

I thought the Canucks were okay earlier in the game (worried about those slow starts) so I was kind of surprised in the breakdowns midway through resulting in 3 of the 4 goals. Most of the goals against were self inflicted errors in coverage though (usually leaving an open opponent) and can be corrected with a bit better focus and awareness.  Its too bad we had a single game between two holiday periods - players probably would have preferred an additional game just before the first break. (even my colleagues almost forgot about this game tonight with all the holiday festivities this week 🙂

Although the result is not what we wanted, it is good lesson of where we need to be if we are to make the successful steps toward playoff qualification - the teams we play in the 2nd half are probably more skilled and physical than the first half.

Obviously, we still need work a bit of work in these high presses - more physicality sort of games but can learn from some of the mistakes tonight before playing similar teams like the Kings, Bruins,  Vegas, Islanders etc.

Hopefully they are much more prepared + focused against the Sens - before heading out on the 7 game road trip. 

Just Win.jpg

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

I see people giving too many excuses for poor play. These guys are professional athletes. They should live, breathe, and play hockey because that is what they are paid to do. Christmas comes every year, should be no different. Should come to play and give your 100% every game. Clearly they weren’t hungry enough today. Doesn’t help that we have a big break before the next game again. Watch them come out slow again and people will blame it on them enjoying new years too much. need to play 60 minutes of hockey and lose these bad habits now or we won’t make it past the first round. 

Agree. I wish we could be headed out on the road for 2 or so and find what we've been doing that was successful. Going to be a challenge, to say the least, trying

to find their games practicing at home. Christmas is four days past now. Saving grace may be going over and over the game they played last night and take good

hard looks at what they did and didn't do.

Heck! They even have a template of what a good team does; Themselves before the break...

This team needs its leaders to lead. That wasn’t happening today. Pettersson is especially inconsistent this season and looks to be not quite ready for the next step in his “ascension” to being one of the leagues premier players. 

Elias wants to play on a winning team? Great? Maybe he should play like it. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

34 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Half the team has been replaced. So how can it still be on the players

The core has not changed since Rutherford/Allvin came in. They identified the core as Hughes, Miller, Petey, Demko and Hronek. Every team turns over spare parts. The Core has not changed. So yes it is on the players and not the coach. Drop it. 

Some late comments.

1. OK, it was a demoralizing loss. But it was not as bad as the score suggests.

2. The Canucks were not great at any time but, apart from a short meltdown for about 5 minutes in the second period, the Canucks played the Flyers even on the scoreboard and had an edge in the underlying stats. In fact, the Canucks had a slight overall edge in shots on goal and a big edge in Corsi.

3. Zadorov made a really bad play to give up a breakaway and Boeser made a lazy and clueless play on the shorthanded goal against. Zadorov and Boeser ended up with the bottom two spots in the statcards advanced stat (gamescore) and were near the bottom on the natural stat trick expected goal percentage stat.  So, yeah, those two guys had bad games. The good thing is that their big errors are correctable blunders and not likely to be repeated. Zadorov had something of a reputation for making Myers-like mistakes but with the Canucks he has been pretty good until tonight. Maybe he needs to re-focus.

4. The Myers/Zadorov pairing has been struggling for a while now, including tonight. It will be interesting to see what happens when Soucy comes back. 

4. The Philly PP goal was a seeing-eye shot from the point with a screened goalie. Shots like that occasionally score, but not often.  The goal was bad luck. The Canucks have had more than their share of good luck this season but tonight the luck went the other way.  In fact, the Canucks had a positive expected goal differential, both at 5-on-5 and overall. They were unlucky not to get another goal and were unlucky to give up as much as they did. This is classic "regression" and the Canuck PDO did regress tonight.

5. Some obvious good news is that the Blueger line with Joshua and Garland continues to play well. And Petey, Kuzy, and Mik were actually pretty good tonight and were unlucky not to score.  It looks like Kuzy will be "part of the solution, not part of the problem."

6. The Petey line and the Miller line are due for some positive "regression".

• Cheers 4

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The core has not changed since Rutherford/Allvin came in. They identified the core as Hughes, Miller, Petey, Demko and Hronek. Every team turns over spare parts. The Core has not changed. So yes it is on the players and not the coach. Drop it. 

1st Hronek is a new player so he didn't play for the past coaches.

So what you are saying is that Hughes, Miller Petey and Demko is the problem with this team. That's your logic not mine

Edited by CanuckFanForever

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

BB is team leader in goals and #2 in NHL scoring.

Big difference.   

So that means he's not held accountable? Star players on the team when they're playing poorly shouldn't get a pass. Curious to see how Tocchet handles Brock not playing well tonight. I mean, Kuzmenko did score 39 goals a year ago, and he regularly gets benched this season. And yea, it's true that he hasn't produced at the same level as last season, but still. 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Vintage 1