PGT - Flyers at Canucks - 12/28/23

PhillipBlunt

2 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Some late comments.

1. OK, it was a demoralizing loss. But it was not as bad as the score suggests.

2. The Canucks were not great at any time but, apart from a short meltdown for about 5 minutes in the second period, the Canucks played the Flyers even on the scoreboard and had an edge in the underlying stats. In fact, the Canucks had a slight overall edge in shots on goal and a big edge in Corsi.

3. Zadorov made a really bad play to give up a breakaway and Boeser made a lazy and clueless play on the shorthanded goal against. Zadorov and Boeser ended up with the bottom two spots in the statcards advanced stat (gamescore) and were near the bottom on the natural stat trick expected goal percentage stat.  So, yeah, those two guys had bad games. The good thing is that their big errors are correctable blunders and not likely to be repeated. Zadorov had something of a reputation for making Myers-like mistakes but with the Canucks he has been pretty good until tonight. Maybe he needs to re-focus.

4. The Myers/Zadorov pairing has been struggling for a while now, including tonight. It will be interesting to see what happens when Soucy comes back. 

4. The Philly PP goal was a seeing-eye shot from the point with a screened goalie. Shots like that occasionally score, but not often.  The goal was bad luck. The Canucks have had more than their share of good luck this season but tonight the luck went the other way.  In fact, the Canucks had a positive expected goal differential, both at 5-on-5 and overall. They were unlucky not to get another goal and were unlucky to give up as much as they did. This is classic "regression" and the Canuck PDO did regress tonight.

5. Some obvious good news is that the Blueger line with Joshua and Garland continues to play well. And Petey, Kuzy, and Mik were actually pretty good tonight and were unlucky not to score.  It looks like Kuzy will be "part of the solution, not part of the problem."

6. The Petey line and the Miller line are due for some positive "regression".

Should the coach wait to have a response when Soucy comes back or break Myers/Zadorov up now if it isn't working. 

Should the PK defense men not be clearing the front of the net so the goalie isn't screened all the time. Or are they just getting lucky getting those screens.

Did their work effort deserve them another goal with the mistakes they where making. 

What I see in you post is pointing out the mistakes that cost them and calling them all unlucky, But you forgot to mention all the other mistakes they made that didn't go in the back of the net. I think most people would agree this was a poor effort all around.

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

As for coaching I would like to see people stfu about firing Tocchet. We have been through a GM and 2 coaches in 2 years before Tocchet, next big move is a player or 2 going out, they have had more than enough coach life lines… 

isn't the organization still paying for Green? Who else is on their payroll that isn't coaching for them? lol 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Should the coach wait to have a response when Soucy comes back or break Myers/Zadorov up now if it isn't working. 

Should the PK defense men not be clearing the front of the net so the goalie isn't screened all the time. Or are they just getting lucky getting those screens.

Did their work effort deserve them another goal with the mistakes they where making. 

What I see in you post is pointing out the mistakes that cost them and calling them all unlucky, But you forgot to mention all the other mistakes they made that didn't go in the back of the net. I think most people would agree this was a poor effort all around.

i think the score probably reflects that they played badly. Sometimes there are games where they're playing pretty well but they still lose. this doesn't seem to be one of those nights. take the loss, and move onto Ottawa. 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I was expecting Torts to be Torts. That was over the top but I respected him for sticking up for the team when he knew Hartley was was f**king around. He stuck up for the team at a time when we needed more backbone. 

Imo, fans wanted to win being nice guys and couldn't handle the uncomfortable of Torts.

If we're going to win anything, we actually need to be more Torts like. Tocchet brings that with a softer, less blunt but straightforward approach. 

Torts tried to do way too much too quick but was right in what the problems were.

Asking the Sedins and everyone else to block shots was bizarre.   Aside from that, have always liked Torts, even though he eventually loses his welcome, and many ex players can't stand him. 

You could see this game coming from a mile away.

As was pointed out on the broadcast at the beginning, the team has overworked multiple key players, with many among the league leaders in total TOI. Then they finally get an extended break, but with 1 game wedged in the middle against an Eastern Conference opponent.

Tocchet not looking concerned post game speaks volumes. There really isn’t a problem with the team not being ready for this game, provided they are using the break as a whole well, and hit the ground running in January. It takes a lot of effort to be ready to play your best game, and they may be better served long-term resting instead. The rest they are getting should help them down the stretch more than the 2 points they missed out on.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Darius said:

I dont know how this is even a conversation at this point.  Going back to last year Tocchet is 43-21-7 -this includes working with that mess of a D last year (no hronek, soucy, cole, zadorov). what record would he have to have not to get fired in some peoples minds?  I'll go as far as saying if the season ended today he would be a sure Jack Adams candidate.

Obvious winner, all first place votes according to the talking heads prior to this game (and one game isn't changing anything).  Of all the trophies aside from the Art Ross and Richard which are pure points, if the season ended now, Tochett is the slam dunk for a trophy that requires voting, (again as far as first place votes, likely to get all of them, I don't think people having fully acknowledged where we were expected to be in the division and standings this year ... it wasn't good, and well that start was blazing red hot, against a lot of teams who were supposed to do well or better, some have some haven't, some have lost 6 points to us even).    After that Barkov is a safe tier above for the Selke,  Demko front runner for the Vezina.    You're absolutely correct, Tocchet wins the Adam's if the season ended now.   Joining Quin and AV.     It's likely he's a finalist at the end of the year if we make the playoffs.    Seems almost a certainty we will at this point.    Only lost two games in a row once all year (so far).    That has to be something about coaching, mentally this teams been prone to losing streaks since Brock was drafted.   And he's the longest serving member now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

I see people giving too many excuses for poor play. These guys are professional athletes. They should live, breathe, and play hockey because that is what they are paid to do. Christmas comes every year, should be no different. Should come to play and give your 100% every game. Clearly they weren’t hungry enough today. Doesn’t help that we have a big break before the next game again. Watch them come out slow again and people will blame it on them enjoying new years too much. need to play 60 minutes of hockey and lose these bad habits now or we won’t make it past the first round. 

Especially for home games. Play like you don't care on the road,but not at home. Fans came from all around for this lame effort.

8 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

Canucks lacked in the face of department. Petterson needs to be better than 27% as a Center is he’s looking for more than 10 mil. 

powerplay has been missing for several games now. Too much passing and not enough shooting + crashing the net

We need a 2C, not a winger.  Petey should move back to wing like he has been his entire career.  That's where he's comfortable, and that's where he will thrive (not having prime defensive duties on a line).  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

Some late comments.

1. OK, it was a demoralizing loss. But it was not as bad as the score suggests.

2. The Canucks were not great at any time but, apart from a short meltdown for about 5 minutes in the second period, the Canucks played the Flyers even on the scoreboard and had an edge in the underlying stats. In fact, the Canucks had a slight overall edge in shots on goal and a big edge in Corsi.

3. Zadorov made a really bad play to give up a breakaway and Boeser made a lazy and clueless play on the shorthanded goal against. Zadorov and Boeser ended up with the bottom two spots in the statcards advanced stat (gamescore) and were near the bottom on the natural stat trick expected goal percentage stat.  So, yeah, those two guys had bad games. The good thing is that their big errors are correctable blunders and not likely to be repeated. Zadorov had something of a reputation for making Myers-like mistakes but with the Canucks he has been pretty good until tonight. Maybe he needs to re-focus.

4. The Myers/Zadorov pairing has been struggling for a while now, including tonight. It will be interesting to see what happens when Soucy comes back. 

4. The Philly PP goal was a seeing-eye shot from the point with a screened goalie. Shots like that occasionally score, but not often.  The goal was bad luck. The Canucks have had more than their share of good luck this season but tonight the luck went the other way.  In fact, the Canucks had a positive expected goal differential, both at 5-on-5 and overall. They were unlucky not to get another goal and were unlucky to give up as much as they did. This is classic "regression" and the Canuck PDO did regress tonight.

5. Some obvious good news is that the Blueger line with Joshua and Garland continues to play well. And Petey, Kuzy, and Mik were actually pretty good tonight and were unlucky not to score.  It looks like Kuzy will be "part of the solution, not part of the problem."

6. The Petey line and the Miller line are due for some positive "regression".

Once again I thought Juulson outplayed Meyers. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Other than the zadorov mistake and resulting goal, they were fine. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

So that means he's not held accountable? Star players on the team when they're playing poorly shouldn't get a pass. Curious to see how Tocchet handles Brock not playing well tonight. I mean, Kuzmenko did score 39 goals a year ago, and he regularly gets benched this season. And yea, it's true that he hasn't produced at the same level as last season, but still. 

Boeser goes into the corners and battles his heart out, he had ONE bad game..... he's not getting benched for that lmfao. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

So that means he's not held accountable? Star players on the team when they're playing poorly shouldn't get a pass. Curious to see how Tocchet handles Brock not playing well tonight. I mean, Kuzmenko did score 39 goals a year ago, and he regularly gets benched this season. And yea, it's true that he hasn't produced at the same level as last season, but still. 

As I said during the game, BB has never faced those consequences in his career, I doubt it starts now.