PGT - Flyers at Canucks - 12/28/23

PhillipBlunt

The team wasn't sharp

You can tell by the missed one timers, pass going under miller's stick etc. 

Z had a rough game from the start with bobbling the puck into our own net and turning it over for a point blank chance that Desmith bailed him out on at the start of the game. 

Boeser didn't look good on that shortie but again lack of focus on attention to detail....

Im gonna chalk it up to holiday turkey at home... 

These guys probably flew home Dec 21 after the Dallas game and knew they'll be at home all the way until Jan 3 just playing 2 games during that span. That's 2 games in 13 days while they probably have family visiting, dinner parties etc. 

That is a long time to be at home during the season and hard to stay locked in. It was probably more advantageous to be a road team last night to get back to business. Bright side is, if we know the character of these guys, they next few practices will intensify and they'll have a good game Jan 2 and hit the ground running in 2024.

Also encouraging to see Petey's line looked the most dangerous and created a lot of good looks. 

Mikheyev had 2 glorious chances and Kuz won a few key puck battles on the forecheck and made really nice passes to the point. 

I've had a few discussions pumping Z over Cole but yesterday, Cole definitely outplayed Z and Myers. 

First game I've seen Z do what flames fans warned me about in terms of his turnovers leading to goals against. 

Juulsen continues to impress. He's starting to try more things in the offensive zone but got caught with a turnover at the blue line and a foot race back. 

3rd line continues to do what they are doing. 

I think there's enough sample size to know they are legit. It's not like the Cowan the Brabarian or Ronalds Kenins stint. The way they play is such that they'll continue to produce chances and win the Corsi battle. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

The team wasn't sharp

You can tell by the missed one timers, pass going under miller's stick etc. 

Z had a rough game from the start with bobbling the puck into our own net and turning it over for a point blank chance that Desmith bailed him out on at the start of the game. 

Boeser didn't look good on that shortie but again lack of focus on attention to detail....

Im gonna chalk it up to holiday turkey at home... 

These guys probably flew home Dec 21 after the Dallas game and knew they'll be at home all the way until Jan 3 just playing 2 games during that span. That's 2 games in 13 days while they probably have family visiting, dinner parties etc. 

That is a long time to be at home during the season and hard to stay locked in. It was probably more advantageous to be a road team last night to get back to business. Bright side is, if we know the character of these guys, they next few practices will intensify and they'll have a good game Jan 2 and hit the ground running in 2024.

Also encouraging to see Petey's line looked the most dangerous and created a lot of good looks. 

Mikheyev had 2 glorious chances and Kuz won a few key puck battles on the forecheck and made really nice passes to the point. 

I've had a few discussions pumping Z over Cole but yesterday, Cole definitely outplayed Z and Myers. 

First game I've seen Z do what flames fans warned me about in terms of his turnovers leading to goals against. 

Juulsen continues to impress. He's starting to try more things in the offensive zone but got caught with a turnover at the blue line and a foot race back. 

3rd line continues to do what they are doing. 

I think there's enough sample size to know they are legit. It's not like the Cowan the Brabarian or Ronalds Kenins stint. The way they play is such that they'll continue to produce chances and win the Corsi battle. 

I'd love to see one more deal for a bigger body for the top 6. We do that and nights like last night will be rarer.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

I'd love to see one more deal for a bigger body for the top 6. We do that and nights like last night will be rarer.

Yeah I think a big minutes top 4 D and a bonafide winger will give us a legit shot at the cup. 

Most likely candidates would be Myers and Kuz moved to create cap space but yeah, for the first time in a long time, I feel good about management and their assessments so I feel like whatever they decide to do, (stand pat, buy, etc) I'll be happy either way. 

• ThereItIs 1

52 minutes ago, Dom said:

7 game road trip in 11 nights. If they prove me wrong that's great, but I don't think they will. They struggle HARD in the first period, and in other barns that's gonna be an issue. 

Haven't the Canucks scored the 1st goal in their games more often than the opposition?  

• Cheers 1

Terrible game, boring AF. Maybe the Canucks would've done better on the road. At home during the holidays, lots of family, busy time, etc. 

Sucks to get swept by the Flyers.

I've been wonder if Petey would be a better C or winger. I think with him falling down all over the place, he isn't strong enough and needs time and space to be elusive. Trade for another C, move Petey to the wing. 

You have to want to win. You need to feel two points slip away. Two points you cannot get back. One, two, even three players off their game is not uncommon

but when the majority are, it's noteworthy. 

I saw Hughes lose a race to the puck badly. Pettersson and Miller not even close to themselves. I suppose being the home team right after Christmas wasn't an ideal

scenario. Players like Hoglander that had come so far, reverted back to some bad habits. On the positive side, they have some time to work it out. 

Had the situation been reversed, and we were in Philly on their first game after a substantial layoff, at home with family, the reverse probably would have occurred.

I'm sure they're reeling this morning.

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My issue is why is that 3rd line always ready to play and never takes a night off while the other lines seem to struggle during the same game?  The Miller line was atrocious tonight while the 3rd line was dominant. 

Even Tocchet said he kept the 3rd line intact because they were the only line that was going tonight.  

Coach needs to keep everyone accountable.  Lots of players deserve a scratch for the next game.  Boeser is at the top of that list…

This is exactly why I don't like it when people make excuses for players poor play. This is why I covet the 94' Canuck team over all others over the years. It seemed that when we got more skilled players the less effort we put out, night in and night out. 

The Blueger line reminds me so much of the 94' team in that they put in their "Plumber" type effort every night.

They finish checks, forecheck, backcheck they do the "staples" on a consistent basis.

Why has Vegas done so well since their inception? Hint: None of their players make more then 10 Million per year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dom said:

7 game road trip in 11 nights. If they prove me wrong that's great, but I don't think they will. They struggle HARD in the first period, and in other barns that's gonna be an issue. 

Every team in the NHL will struggle on a 7 games in 11 nights road trip.

That's not a eventual slide that's about to begin, it's just a very difficult, grueling road trip..

Anything over .500 record would be great on the road trip.. Soucy will be back in around 2 weeks to make the D even better..

This is a good team. They're not the best team in the NHL. LA and NYR are the two best teams.. but the Canucks are a top 10 team and that's freaking awesome. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

9 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We weren't ready for a coach like that. 

Bang on, that team did not want to do the "Staples" needed to win. Didn't he say the team was "stale"? 

I see Tocc and Torts very similar in coaching style, the difference is that Tocc has been able to get the team to "buy in" for the most part where the team just completely shut down for Torts.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is exactly why I don't like it when people make excuses for players poor play. This is why I covet the 94' Canuck team over all others over the years. It seemed that when we got more skilled players the less effort we put out, night in and night out. 

The Blueger line reminds me so much of the 94' team in that they put in their "Plumber" type effort every night.

They finish checks, forecheck, backcheck they do the "staples" on a consistent basis.

Why has Vegas done so well since their inception? Hint: None of their players make more then 10 Million per year.

We all seem to forget that '94 team wasn't good in the regular season, coming in at .500 hockey

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Every team in the NHL will struggle on a 7 games in 11 nights road trip.

That's not a eventual slide that's about to begin, it's just a very difficult, grueling road trip..

Anything over .500 record would be great on the road trip.. Soucy will be back in around 2 weeks to make the D even better..

This is a good team. They're not the best team in the NHL. LA and NYR are the two best teams.. but the Canucks are a top 10 team and that's freaking awesome. 

And any team that’s in that top group can win the Cup. We have Demko. He could for sure lead us to the Cup. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

My issue is why is that 3rd line always ready to play and never takes a night off while the other lines seem to struggle during the same game?  The Miller line was atrocious tonight while the 3rd line was dominant. 

Even Tocchet said he kept the 3rd line intact because they were the only line that was going tonight.  

Coach needs to keep everyone accountable.  Lots of players deserve a scratch for the next game.  Boeser is at the top of that list…

I think its partly that the Petey's line gets the harder matchups, the number 1 checking line will usually be all over either Petey or Millers lines. The 3rd line has easier matchups. 

clunkers happen.

Need to play better, as we are reaching the time of the year when it begins to get harder to win.

All the teams that are in or really close to the play off bar will be 'tightening' up.

Pre season- super easy

early season - easy

mid season- getting hard

end of season- really hard

play offs- incredibly hard

Finals- the most difficult games ever.