PGT - Flyers at Canucks - 12/28/23

PhillipBlunt

1 hour ago, Dom said:

7 game road trip in 11 nights. If they prove me wrong that's great, but I don't think they will. They struggle HARD in the first period, and in other barns that's gonna be an issue. 

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

That's the half empty way to look at it.

But they did well on their previous road trip, no reason to think they won't again. Teams are off at times...they'll regroup.

Petey, Boes and Miller won't be kept off the scoresheet forever...time for them to do their thing.

Just like it's wrong to chalk up a win before we play a game against a team, it's also wrong to write off the team before they go on a road trip. 

This team hasn't been perfect this year but they continue to impress. 

They we're just 7-0-2 before last night.... Im totally ok if they go 500 for a couple games and they go on a other streak. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

clunkers happen.

Need to play better, as we are reaching the time of the year when it begins to get harder to win.

All the teams that are in or really close to the play off bar will be 'tightening' up.

Pre season- super easy

early season - easy

mid season- getting hard

end of season- really hard

play offs- incredibly hard

Finals- the most difficult games ever.

The other thing that can't be foreseen though is...injuries. They tend to mount as teams wear down and it'll be survival of the fittest. Teams expected to be there are an injury or two away from falling...especially when goaltenders are off.

People think we're destined to fail as things progress but that's not necessarily the case. Any team can hit a skid, including those touted "the best" teams and projected to be on top. So many variables come into play and it's not just our team that will experience a grind. We've put in some minutes that other teams are now having to make up for...we'll see how they do when fatigue factors in. 

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Just like it's wrong to chalk up a win before we play a game against a team, it's also wrong to write off the team before they go on a road trip. 

This team hasn't been perfect this year but they continue to impress. 

They we're just 7-0-2 before last night.... Im totally ok if they go 500 for a couple games and they go on a other streak. 

The "I don't think they will" is all I need to know about this person.

Someone waiting for the inevitable failure of the team despite them having a lot of success. People put asterisks on it..."easy wins", etc. At some point, if they don't buy in that's on them...maybe they never intended to? I do understand that the past decade's made it hard to "believe" but it's also a matter of giving credit where it's due. The team has earned some respect even if some here refuse to give it. Skeptics have reason to worry but it's less fun doing it that way. Enjoy the ride. Get behind the team.

Yes, we will have losses...maybe even strung together. But they've got tools in the toolbox now that'll help them recover and it's not hopeless if they do fall a bit. Pretty hard to just kill it all year and stay atop the standings....not many teams do.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

Well, it certainly was not a great game. Looked like they really had difficulty setting anything up and were constantly pressured. 

But I'm not worried. We can't expect the team to be on fire every single game; keep in mind that Philly is (now) 7-1-2. We went up against a hot team, and the better team last night won. 

Regroup and come prepared to play Tuesday against a team going in the opposite direction.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, SnakeDoctor said:

Dismal performance. And now the slide to the bottom begins.

Sarcasm doesn't work well on the internet, Snake.

2 hours ago, Joe King said:

Especially for home games. Play like you don't care on the road,but not at home. Fans came from all around for this lame effort.

Yeah, it was a disappointing result, but given their home record (13-4-1), I'm willing to give

them a pass.  They've rewarded the home fans with the 2nd best W record in the NHL.

I think the thing that bothered me the most in last nights game was the lack of reaction to Desmith getting run over. Its still lackluster in sticking up for themselves. They didnt have any emotion in the game really. should have been some reaction to that play.

Zadorov needs to be spoken to about that horrible play on the third goal. Move the puck up to the players that can make things happen we dont expect you to be 43.

Boeser as everyone has stated had a horrible game outside of a couple board battles. He was sleep walking on that short handed goal.

As i have said a few times the power play is concerning. Teams are pressuring Hughes and Hronek at the points and the down low play hasnt been very good. They need to figure it out quickly. Start feeding Petey one timers off the wall once in a while and use different players for the bumper play. Last night they used Petey and it almost worked.

I think the power play was the difference last night , they scored on theirs we dint score on ours.

Sometimes a team has a style that just doesnt fit you. we used to do it to Dallas a lot. The Kings when they complained about us being a team like that. sometimes the styles just work against your personnel.

we seem to struggle with hard nosed teams. You can say the flyers dont have the up front end talent we do but they wok hard, win  board battles and go to the net. We struggle with that type of team. Teams that want to skate with us, we can play well against.

Win against the Senators and we can go out on a long road trip in good spirits. Lets go Top 6. Go Canucks Go

Edited by Mikeyman109
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

The other thing that can't be foreseen though is...injuries. They tend to mount as teams wear down and it'll be survival of the fittest. Teams expected to be there are an injury or two away from falling...especially when goaltenders are off.

People think we're destined to fail as things progress but that's not necessarily the case. Any team can hit a skid, including those touted "the best" teams and projected to be on top. So many variables come into play and it's not just our team that will experience a grind. We've put in some minutes that other teams are now having to make up for...we'll see how they do when fatigue factors in. 

For sure Deb. Just look at Vegas who just lost 4 in a row. I wouldn't write them off because of it. Rebound with a win last night against LA and who cares. They are back in it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The saddest thing.

0-0 1st Period

2nd Period Meltdown

1-1 3rd Period

This team has to learn to play 60 minutes.

They've at least got the 3rd period figured out this year, and that's a big change from previous years.

Take it on the chin and move to the next one.

• Cheers 3

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

We all seem to forget that '94 team wasn't good in the regular season, coming in at .500 hockey

Some players like Linden turned it on in the playoffs too. I would much rather see that then the other way around, no?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Maybe... Is he ready?

He has been really good but the one thing his development was sorely lacking was minutes. They really screwed him in KHL and then we rushed him. 
We don’t need to panic, give him most of the season in the AHL playing in all situations. 
If you want to describe the aspects of the perfect player for EP’s wing, he ticks off pretty much every box. He just needs reps and not to be rushed and perhaps most importantly some confidence. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Some players like Linden turned it on in the playoffs too. I would much rather see that then the other way around, no?

No argument, just a reply to the post that used the 94 team as a model for playing hard every night, when they really were not a good team until the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

I'd love to see one more deal for a bigger body for the top 6. We do that and nights like last night will be rarer.

Anderson in montreal is starting to find his game again. I’ve always liked his game. Even when he’s not scoring he’s out there playing good hockey and making hits.

Last nights habs game a Canes player made a big hit on slavofski (whatever his name is lol big guy they drafted)…no response from anyone on the ice st the time, was a high hit too that didn’t get penalized…anderson comes out next shift and levels a canes player…in a “fairly” clean way lol…just to get some pay back

a guy like that is who we need in our top 6

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

23 minutes ago, stawns said:

No argument, just a reply to the post that used the 94 team as a model for playing hard every night, when they really were not a good team until the playoffs.

94 team was kinda like the cup winning LA team…just barely made it into the playoffs and then went all the way…just our run come short

and not to bring up old memories but the refs totally jobbed us in game 7…i still think 94 we SHOULD have won the cup

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree, I think in general, I remember the team working so hard, but lacking a lot of talent until Bure came along. I do remember Bure hanging out by the blue line more times then not, waiting for that break out pass. He did get better as he progressed though and he was better(defensively) in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

94 team was kinda like the cup winning LA team…just barely made it into the playoffs and then went all the way…just our run come short

and not to bring up old memories but the refs totally jobbed us in game 7…i still think 94 we SHOULD have won the cup

They didn't limp into the playoffs (Kings) either.  They were REALLY bad at the start of the season until they replaced the guy behind the bench (to Sutter).  They were on a roll going into the playoffs (much like the Canucks in 1982).

• Upvote 1

Canucks Coffee: The Philly lesson is a playoff lesson

That was a hard game. The Stanley Cup playoffs will be harder.

Patrick Johnston

Published Dec 29, 2023 

Nikita Zadorov was blunt in assessing what lessons he and his Vancouver Canucks teammates had to learn from their brutal 4-1 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers on Thursday night: The strength of coach John Tortorella’s strategy and how their Pacific Division opponents will be just as tough to break down — if not tougher.

Grinding it out

“We got to be comfortable playing the 0-0 game. Who cares? Like, just take what’s given. You can’t get frustrated because people are in your way or people are hitting you. Can’t get frustrated because it’s gonna get ramped up even more than this game,” Rick Tocchet said.

The Canucks coach felt his team gave in to frustration about the way the Flyers play. And when they face their rivals, they’ll run into the same challenge.

“You got to be careful of that. I’m not a big fan of that. You just got to keep working and working and making the smart plays. Take what’s given.

“I thought a couple of times we could have got the puck in deep and went got pressure on their D and (instead) we made some east-west plays. Some guys were trying to stick handle through the whole team. Just things that we don’t like.

“Most of the year, we haven’t done that as much but I felt tonight we, a handful of times, we did some dumb things.”

Höglander to PP2

There are lots of reasons to think the first power play unit is overthinking what they’re doing. They are showing no threats at the moment.

People have long taken the wrong lesson from Alex Ovechkin’s prowess on the power play. Sure, when he connected those goals, you could hear it. WHACK was the sound, like an eruption.

But the thing is, his success rate has been decreasing. He misses a lot more now than he did before.

The issue goes beyond one unit, though. PP1 does play the bulk of the time, but it remains odd that for a second power-play unit that’s struggled, we haven’t seen NIls Hǒglander as an option.

He’s very adept at tipping pucks, beyond his quality puck-recovery skills. He’s got better hands than Sam Lafferty and maybe Ilya Mikheyev, too.

pjohnston@postmedia.com

Edited by Jaimito
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Bang on, that team did not want to do the "Staples" needed to win. Didn't he say the team was "stale"? 

I see Tocc and Torts very similar in coaching style, the difference is that Tocc has been able to get the team to "buy in" for the most part where the team just completely shut down for Torts.

Exactly. Finally someone who gets it.

Yes, very similar about the staples and sacrifices, also being uncomfortable. It's funny because now we have a priority on blocking shots too. 

People just couldn't handle him and melted down. But Torts was proven right ... AND went on to win coach of the year. 

The Sedins actually appreciated Torts and Torts defended them against the perception of them being soft. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

They didn't limp into the playoffs (Kings) either.  They were REALLY bad at the start of the season until they replaced the guy behind the bench (to Sutter).  They were on a roll going into the playoffs (much like the Canucks in 1982).

You bet, I didn’t say limp, just said barely made it. However, should have been a bit more specific, I agree. Both teams come into the playoffs riding high and both went far.

I’m not sure what to make of this years team. I love the record but we seem to crumble when a team comes in and plays us hard like Philly. 

Most teams are built in the new fashion. Speed and skill. Not many bruising teams out there anymore.

LA is a bruiser, Dallas, Philly, New York…and I think come playoffs those 4 will do well. And i’d like to see some more beef upfront for our team. Because we won’t imo be beating those teams in a 7 game series 

edit: add Boston to that list and Vegas lol. Not sure how they didn’t come to mind

Edited by Attila Umbrus
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1