The God Thread

Ribs

Just now, Foamys Ghost said:

This doesn't appear to be implied anywhere in this discussion.  Remember we are just talking about removing evil rather than randomly removing people that might be dear to me. 

well its clear you are not hear to have a real discusiion and only choose to play by you rules... havea good day sir

Just now, Dankmemes187 said:

well its clear you are not hear to have a real discusiion and only choose to play by you rules... havea good day sir

I'm having a real discussion, but I'm not sure where you get the idea that my wife and children would need to be removed in a perfect world - one without evil.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Foamys Ghost said:

I won't define evil, but I'll give an example, one I've used repeatedly in this discussion.  Terminal childhood bone cancer.  Suffering and death are evil, especially an early death.

so we should all live forever? or to a perfect age?

42 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

Why?  If God made it and it is bad/evil does not that imply God is not good/loving?  If God created the universe and is omniscient then He created childhood bone cancer, thus dooming that child to a painful death.  Some of those children were not Christian, thus they are doomed for eternity.  This sounds like an evil act to me.  Please explain how it isn't.

It's a long game. This life will soon be forgotten in an eternity that is open to all, if they so choose. 

"The Creators are possessed of full power to make the world a veritable paradise, but such an Eden would not contribute to the development of those strong, noble, and experienced characters which the Gods are so surely forging out on your world between the anvils of necessity and the hammers of anguish."

Edited by Inkidu

Just now, Inkidu said:

It's a long game. This life will soon be forgotten in an eternity that is open to all, if they so choose. 

"The Creators are possessed of full power to make the world a veritable paradise, but such an Eden would not contribute to the development of those strong, noble, and experienced characters which the Gods are so surely forging out on your world between the anvils of necessity and the hammers of anguish."

Ozymandias, by Shelley, sums up perfectly man’s futile effort to live eternal. 

Just now, Foamys Ghost said:

Ah, I missed that part.  The onus is now on you to prove asexuality is perfect design.  By the way, if you succeed, you prove that God isn't real since we reproduce through sex.

asexuality is perfect because its the basis of all life on earth... cells

1 minute ago, Inkidu said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this comment.  Are you saying that because it's a long game that it doesn't matter that a buddhist child who suffers horribly from bone cancer and dies and then is doomed for eternity?  Because maybe more people will 'be saved' later for some unknown reason related to this child dying?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Ozymandias, by Shelley, sums up perfectly man’s futile effort to live eternal. 

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you think it all ends when you die you will be proven correct, but if you see things in the light of the possibility of eternal life then, well, you'll see. 

• Like 1

its like you want your cake and eat it too... Do you want perfection? Or do you want differences? Cancer. Not evil. Cancer. It's a human cell, malfunctioning. Maybe due to outside causes? Created through imperfections. Or maybe something entirely different? We do not have 100%. Understanding of our human bodies, our brains, or anything else in this world. Some people like to think they do, though. 

5 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this comment.  Are you saying that because it's a long game that it doesn't matter that a buddhist child who suffers horribly from bone cancer and dies and then is doomed for eternity?  Because maybe more people will 'be saved' later for some unknown reason related to this child dying?  

Doomed for all eternity is false teaching. Yes, it helps to at least posit a purpose and to try to discern what it might be. Buddha's last words were to work out your own salvation. It is not something someone--including Christians--can tell you. 

Edited by Inkidu

16 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

As a guy who has created dozens and dozens of polls I like to think that you realize that 72% no more proves the existence of God than the 54% of Canadians who don’t believe in God or a supreme being proves the opposite. It’s simply a snapshot for any given moment in time.

This is true.  But then the other 28% really need to come up with some facts to disprove what 72% of the world's population believe.  Unless you think it is possible that 5 billion people can be suckered into believing something that isn't true.  Am I am talking about adults here, people who are university educated, not some 6-year-old children in play school...

Just now, Inkidu said:

It's a self-fulfilling prophesy. If you think it all ends when you die you will be proven correct, but if you see things in the light of the possibility of eternal life then, well, you'll see. 

Or this alleged afterlife is a complete fabrication to con us in to donating 10% of our earnings and a tool to control the masses to the benefit of the ruling class.  Also, based on your premise apparently I won't see.

God created a universe, then populated it with images of himself.  After a while he drowned almost all of them but a few, taking out most of the plant and animal life in the process.  Later, he had a baby with one of these images and had that image killed to give the other images a chance to be forgiven for doing things he already knew they'd do wrong.

Then he set up a bunch of rules, some of which made sense like love all of the other images as you love yourself and others that made no sense like worship me even though there's no evidence I exist and I will give you an everlasting paradise in the after life but if you demand evidence you'll be cast out.

Sure, sounds legit.

4 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

its like you want your cake and eat it too... Do you want perfection? Or do you want differences? Cancer. Not evil. Cancer. It's a human cell, malfunctioning. Maybe due to outside causes? Created through imperfections. Or maybe something entirely different? We do not have 100%. Understanding of our human bodies, our brains, or anything else in this world. Some people like to think they do, though. 

If your God is all powerful and all loving cancer wouldn't exist.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

Or this alleged afterlife is a complete fabrication to con us in to donating 10% of our earnings and a tool to control the masses to the benefit of the ruling class.  Also, based on your premise apparently I won't see.

God created a universe, then populated it with images of himself.  After a while he drowned almost all of them but a few, taking out most of the plant and animal life in the process.  Later, he had a baby with one of these images and had that image killed to give the other images a chance to be forgiven for doing things he already knew they'd do wrong.

Then he set up a bunch of rules, some of which made sense like love all of the other images as you love yourself and others that made no sense like worship me even though there's no evidence I exist and I will give you an everlasting paradise in the after life but if you demand evidence you'll be cast out.

Sure, sounds legit.

I think you take the bible far too literally.

Edited by Inkidu
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

This is true.  But then the other 28% really need to come up with some facts to disprove what 72% of the world's population believe.  Unless you think it is possible that 5 billion people can be suckered into believing something that isn't true.  Am I am talking about adults here, people who are university educated, not some 6-year-old children in play school...

Hang on.  The 72% that you are talking about don't believe the same things and also think that they are the only ones who know the real truth about this "God".  Can 5 billion people be suckered?  Absolutely they can.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

Our somatic cells reproduce asexually, as do bacteria, but most plant and animal life reproduce sexually.

so no life existed without bacteria and asexuality right? so this male female design is flawed right? so we should not exist? because its not perfect? oh i guess you would say its not evil though right? but cancer is, but its just a simple cell malfunctioning? i guess god should have been happy with just 1 living thing and 1 planet that was habitual for this 1 living thing... anything else proves god doesnt exist right?