The God Thread

Ribs

9 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

Or it was a rationalisation for the fact that Shelley was doomed to die and had to come up with a way to make it seem OK.

Might be. But far more likely Shelly was pointing out we die and that’s it. 
It matters not what legacy we try to leave. When we’re dead that’s it. The end. Nothing more. 

Just now, Foamys Ghost said:

How far can I go in interpretation?  I still have a bone to pick with God about childhood bone cancer and other unnecessary evils.

Surely you've struggled through crises in your life and felt stronger having overcome them. Maybe the payoff for many souls will be after their life here is done.

• ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

so no life existed without bacteria and asexuality right? so this male female design is flawed right? so we should not exist? because its not perfect? oh i guess you would say its not evil though right? but cancer is, but its just a simple cell malfunctioning? i guess god should have been happy with just 1 living thing and 1 planet that was habitual for this 1 living thing... anything else proves god doesnt exist right?

To your first question, not necessarily.  We don't know a lot about the evolution of single celled organisms.  To your second question no, and I have no idea why you think I said sexual reproduction is flawed and definitely it's not evil.  Cancer is evil because it causes painful horrible deaths.  Painful horrible deaths are evil.  Cancer might not have intent but if God exists then God created cancer.  Since God is supposedly infinitely good, then God must not exist.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

Do explain.

Why do bad things happen to good people?

The answer is pretty simple if you actually believe in God and believe in the afterlife.  If you actually believe in an afterlife, then you believe that you have a soul, since it is the soul that returns to the afterlife, not the human body.  Therefore, a soul is a real live entity and makes decisions just like a human.  All souls exist prior to entering this world, they are in the afterlife and decide to come down to earth to learn some "lessons", to grow their souls and achieve a higher level in the afterlife.  Each soul decides what their life will look like before they are even born to the earth in a human body, so their destiny for the most part is already determined before they take one breath on earth.  There is also "free will", which accounts for some decisions on earth, so each life won't be an exact replica of what you want to achieve prior to coming to earth, but for the most part, your life and destiny was already determined before you were born.

So, if something bad happens to you on earth, it was because you chose that life and that way to die as a soul before your arrival to earth.  What happens on this earth is nothing more than "lessons" to make you a better soul once you return to the afterlife.  Earth is nothing more than a place to learn, the real world exists in the afterlife, which is paradise and where our real home is with God.

And because someone like me who is a Roman Catholic believes there is a soul in every human and that soul arrives into the body at conception, this is why a Roman Catholic person who believes in their faith does not believe in abortion, that it is killing the soul that is already in the womb when the woman gets pregnant.

Again, this explanation only makes sense if you believe in God and the afterlife.  If you don't then you would probably think that I am drunk right now...

Cancer causes horrible painful death.  Unless you think horrible painful death is a good thing....

everything living must die... its natural... what springs from the ground will once again return... pain is a good thing... if we lived without pain we would not no when something is wrong, oh and btw pain is 100% in your mind... as you get older you get used to pain, but if you took a painkiller that moment you would be quickly reminded how much pain we suffer... the pain of cancer is different though we recognize it because its abnormal, but its just a fuction to let us know something is wrong

3 minutes ago, Foamys Ghost said:

To your first question, not necessarily.  We don't know a lot about the evolution of single celled organisms.  To your second question no, and I have no idea why you think I said sexual reproduction is flawed and definitely it's not evil.  Cancer is evil because it causes painful horrible deaths.  Painful horrible deaths are evil.  Cancer might not have intent but if God exists then God created cancer.  Since God is supposedly infinitely good, then God must not exist.

thats a false cause fallacy.... since a = b and all b = c a must be = c

do not pass go do not collect 200$ and go directly to jail...

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Might be. But far more likely Shelly was pointing out we die and that’s it. 
It matters not what legacy we try to leave. When we’re dead that’s it. The end. Nothing more. 

The children who die from bone cancer don't learn much.  They just die horrible painful deaths.

Yes, from a worldly perspective that's true. It's different if you know death is like walking through a door to a better world.

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The answer is pretty simple if you actually believe in God and believe in the afterlife.  If you actually believe in an afterlife, then you believe that you have a soul, since it is the soul that returns to the afterlife, not the human body.  Therefore, a soul is a real live entity and makes decisions just like a human.  All souls exist prior to entering this world, they are in the afterlife and decide to come down to earth to learn some "lessons", to grow their souls and achieve a higher level in the afterlife.  Each soul decides what their life will look like before they are even born to the earth in a human body, so their destiny for the most part is already determined before they take one breath on earth.  There is also "free will", which accounts for some decisions on earth, so each life won't be an exact replica of what you want to achieve prior to coming to earth, but for the most part, your life and destiny was already determined before you were born.

So, if something bad happens to you on earth, it was because you chose that life and that way to die as a soul before your arrival to earth.  What happens on this earth is nothing more than "lessons" to make you a better soul once you return to the afterlife.  Earth is nothing more than a place to learn, the real world exists in the afterlife, which is paradise and where our real home is with God.

And because someone like me who is a Roman Catholic believes there is a soul in every human and that soul arrives into the body at conception, this is why a Roman Catholic person who believes in their faith does not believe in abortion, that it is killing the soul that is already in the womb when the woman gets pregnant.

Again, this explanation only makes sense if you believe in God and the afterlife.  If you don't then you would probably think that I am drunk right now...

So if something bad happens, like terminal childhood bone cancer, you are saying blame the victim because they chose to go that way.  If they died without accepting the Christian God they are not only dead, but choosing eternal damnation on purpose.  Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Next you say you are opposed to abortion because a soul arrives at conception.  But didn't the soul that arrives at conception already choose that death before conception?  You said they choose their fate.

I don't think you are drunk, just having to work far too hard to justify a God for which there is no empirical evidence and for whom the theoretical existence is extremely dubious.

1 minute ago, Inkidu said:

Yes, from a worldly perspective that's true. It's different if you know death is like walking through a door to a better world.

Sure that’s a wonderful belief. But there are a lot of people who don’t believe in God and an afterlife. For those people (like me) death is it. So live this life to its fullest. Eat drink and be Merry. Because when it’s over, that’s it. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dankmemes187 said:

thats a false cause fallacy.... since a = b and all b = c a must be = c

do not pass go do not collect 200$ and go directly to jail...

So murderers kill people and killing people is evil but because a=b and b=c murderers aren't evil.  Nice try.  Instead of improperly applying a fallacy try to refute my point directly. If it is a fallacy you should be able to do that.

• Like 1

All gods are simply fictional characters in stories we call myths. Myths are created to establish culture. Somehow a large portion of the world’s population has become delusional and believes that these stories, e.g., the bible, are true and are willing to fight wars and discriminate against others because of simple stories.

and now back to hockey…

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Foamys Ghost said:

So if something bad happens, like terminal childhood bone cancer, you are saying blame the victim because they chose to go that way.  If they died without accepting the Christian God they are not only dead, but choosing eternal damnation on purpose.  Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Next you say you are opposed to abortion because a soul arrives at conception.  But didn't the soul that arrives at conception already choose that death before conception?  You said they choose their fate.

I don't think you are drunk, just having to work far too hard to justify a God for which there is no empirical evidence and for whom the theoretical existence is extremely dubious.

The whole God thing is based on faith. Faith in that which can’t be proven empirically. 

Just now, The Social Hermit said:

All gods are simply fictional characters in stories we call myths. Myths are created to establish culture. Somehow a large portion of the world’s population has become delusional and believes that these stories, e.g., the bible, are true and are willing to fight wars and discriminate against others because of simple stories.

and now back to hockey…

Isn’t much of the Holy Bible first hand recordings if what happened though? 

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hang on a second. The soul predetermined how it's life will play out? But it's wrong to have an abortion because it is killing the soul? I thought souls couldn't die. And what it that soul chose to die by abortion? It wouldn't be any different than that soul choosing to die by miscarriage.

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

The whole God thing is based on faith. Faith in that which can’t be proven empirically. 

Reason is the proof of science, faith is the proof of (true) religion. 

Blaise Pascal had it right i think. Something like "The things of man must be known in order to be loved; the things of God must be loved in order to be known."

• Cheers 1

Or, as many of us call it, based on irrational belief in fairy tales.

Sure. But to those who have this kind of faith they likely would find the “fairy tales” comment insulting. But, yes, same as the Easter Bunny and Tooth Fairy. Or the Invisible Man. Or Kermit the Frog. The not real stuff.

Just now, Alflives said:

Isn’t much of the Holy Bible first hand recordings if what happened though? 

No.  The old testament is mostly a collection of tales past down through oral tradition.  The new testament is a combination of the gospels, which weren't written by the apostles for whom they are named but likely by Greeks a half century or so later.  Most of the Pauline epistles were written by Paul, and a few by others as much as two hundred years later, but Paul himself was not a witness to the life of Jesus.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Inkidu said:

Reason is the proof of science, faith is the proof of (true) religion. 

Blaise Pascal had it right i think. Something like "The things of man must be known in order to be loved; the things of God must be loved in order to be known."

I don’t understand this but it sure sounds good.