The God Thread

Ribs

27 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

There is, however, a large difference between false and fake. The Bible is a genuine book filled with history from its time, and filled with allegories of how to live a good life. So therefore the Bible is not fake. But that does not make it truth. Tolkien's Silmarillion starts much the same way as the Bible - does that make it true?

The Silmarillion, just like the Marvel Comic book series, are categorized as "fiction".  Why are we comparing fictional books to the Bible?

The Silmarillion (Quenya: [silmaˈrilːiɔn]) is a collection of myths[T 1] and stories in varying styles by the English writer J. R. R. Tolkien. It was edited and published posthumously by his son Christopher Tolkien in 1977, assisted by the fantasy author Guy Gavriel Kay.[T 2] It tells of Eä, a fictional universe that includes the Blessed Realm of Valinor, the once-great region of Beleriand, the sunken island of Númenor, and the continent of Middle-earth, where Tolkien's most popular works—The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings—are set.

myth

NOUN

a traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events:

"ancient Celtic myths" · "the heroes of Greek myth"

SIMILAR:

folk tale

story

legend

tale

fable

saga

allegory

a widely held but false belief or idea

12 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

But what of those married couples who use forms of birth control? Are they still condemned for it? The church still says using such things is a big no-no, married or not....

Everyone has free will.  If married couples want to use birth control pills that is their choice.  I'd rather they use pills as a form of birth control than abortion.

Nobody is perfect including me.  We are here to live our lives.  If you believe in God, then you know that your life doesn't end when you die on this earth and paradise awaits you.  Which is why alot of people who believe in God are not afraid of death.  If you believe there is no God and life ends when you die on earth, then you are probably going to be alot more afraid of death than me...

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Isn't the Silver Surfer Comic book and the Marvel Comic book series categorized as "science fiction"? 

A science fiction graphic novel is a full-length book that uses images necessarily to depict a story of a fictional nature that explores different/future time lines, theoretical societies, technology and/or both.

fic·tion

NOUN

literature in the form of prose that describes imaginary events and people.

SIMILAR:

novels

stories

creative writing

narration

story telling

something that is invented or untrue:

"they were supposed to be keeping up the fiction that they were happily married"

Are you suggesting that the bible is a work of non fiction?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes it does, in the very first sentence.  (Genesis 1:1) "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth".  

If this statement were false then the Bible would be considered fake.  Nobody has ever proven the Bible to be fake, so therefore it is real and God exists.  

You have no idea what "proof" means....

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Silmarillion, just like the Marvel Comic book series, are categorized as "fiction".  Why are we comparing fictional books to the Bible?

Because the Bible is listed under "Religion", and not "Historical" or "Nonfiction"

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Everyone has free will.  If married couples want to use birth control pills that is their choice.  I'd rather they use pills as a form of birth control than abortion.

Nobody is perfect including me.  We are here to live our lives.  If you believe in God, then you know that your life doesn't end when you die on this earth and paradise awaits you.  Which is why alot of people who believe in God are not afraid of death.  If you believe there is no God and life ends when you die on earth, then you are probably going to be alot more afraid of death than me...

EP, I have great respect for your faith in your god. I just don't share it. As to whether or not I am more afraid of death than someone who subscribes to the Christian faith, I am probably about equal in that; you believe you will eventually go to heaven, I believe my form will nourish the earth and the energy that comprises my spirit will rejoin the universe to be recycled into whatever it is needed for.

33 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The bible is fiction.

Do you honestly believe Noah wrangled two of every species of animal we see today onto a 500 ft boat?

Did he make a pilgrimage to Australia to pick up Kangaroos, Wallabys and Emus? What about Penguins? Yaks? Snow Leopards.

How did he keep the lions and tigers from eating all the herbivores?

I'd also like to push back on this narrative that some women use abortion as "birth control". This is a pervasive narrative on the right and it's absolute BS.

Abortion is an invasive procedure and often expensive, depending on where you live.

No woman is going to choose abortion when the pill and/or condoms are available.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The bible is fiction.

Do you honestly believe Noah wrangled two of every species of animal we see today onto a 500 ft boat?

Did he make a pilgrimage to Australia to pick up Kangaroos, Wallabys and Emus? What about Penguins? Yaks? Snow Leopards.

Well the bible is mostly a very flawed re telling of history with story becoming exaggerated, biased, and even politicized as it get passed down from one to the other especially in the old testament when this was done orally. 

So yeah chances are there was a big flood sometime in bce as this guy Noah who probably kept animals built a small barge to try to save his animals. (By animals I mean cows or whatever they eat down in that area at the time.)

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most definitely…

Even the old testament? that's like Dungeons and Dragons, love it.

What about the Book of Enoch or Book of Jubilees? I think it is so cool that we humans humped those giant angels/aliens/nephilim which the Sumerians called Annunaki, their kids were called Elioud. 

Anyway, is it therefore fact that we used to hump alien giant angels until mean old God washed it all away with the flood?

That's all true? cause it is in the book(s). This world just became waay more fun/

Cool 'fiction' book about Genesis ark story ' Not wanted on the voyage' by Findley...(poor unicorns)

47 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The bible is fiction.

The Bible doesn’t say Noah took two animals of every species. It says he took two animals of every “kind” when translated. That makes a huge difference. Also, he didn’t need to take any sea creatures or other animals that would have survived the flood. 

The Bible states that Noah’s cargo was limited to land-dwelling animals, in which was the breath of life (Genesis 7:15). 

Recent historical data shows that there are roughly 1,400 kinds of current and extinct land dwelling animals, which means that Noah cared for roughly 6,800 animals in total. 

According to the Bible, the Ark was measured 300x50x50 cubits, which is a volume of 1.88 million cubic feet. All of the animals, food, storage and supplies would have fit comfortably on the Ark. 

According to the Bible, Noah’s Ark was a safe haven for representatives of all kinds of air breathing land animals and flying creatures. During the year long Flood, Noah and his family of 7 other people took care of feeding, watering and cleaning up after thousands of animals. 

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The Bible doesn’t say Noah took two animals of every species. It says he took two animals of every “kind” when translated. That makes a huge difference. Also, he didn’t need to take any sea creatures or other animals that would have survived the flood. 

The Bible states that Noah’s cargo was limited to land-dwelling animals, in which was the breath of life (Genesis 7:15). 

Recent historical data shows that there are roughly 1,400 kinds of current and extinct land dwelling animals, which means that Noah cared for roughly 6,800 animals in total. 

According to the Bible, the Ark was measured 300x50x50 cubits, which is a volume of 1.88 million cubic feet. All of the animals, food, storage and supplies would have fit comfortably on the Ark. 

According to the Bible, Noah’s Ark was a safe haven for representatives of all kinds of air breathing land animals and flying creatures. During the year long Flood, Noah and his family of 7 other people took care of feeding, watering and cleaning up after thousands of animals. 

So you're saying it's effectively a true and honest story based on historical facts acts and figures?

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So the story of Noah is truth. Do you also believe the story of Moses parting the Red Sea? That humanity was birthed in the Garden, and therefor you don't believe in evolution?

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

So the story of Noah is truth. Do you also believe the story of Moses parting the Red Sea? That humanity was birthed in the Garden, and therefor you don't believe in evolution?

Yes of course. Didn’t it all start with Adam and Eve?  I mean I guess you had to start with one man and one woman and go from there right?