The God Thread

Ribs

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

There’s plenty of hypotheses out there. 

I look forward to new ones that go through the rigour of the Scientific Process. 

That’s how ‘we’ grow as a species. 

Thanks. 

An hypothesis isn’t evidence. That’s the problem with your side. You have zero evidence that God doesn’t exist. And 5.5 billion people are apparently all whacko and crazy and in a cult, which further undermines your side. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

The problem with this argument which is being made by all the nonbelievers is that you have no evidence that the world simply came to being without a creator. 

So until you can prove that something “happened”, you also have zero evidence for God’s non existence. 

The Earth naturally coming into existence has been proven, as have all stellar bodies. 

This is a known known. 

You provide the evidence that without a ‘God’, the world couldn’t exist. 

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Not how it really works my dude: I have an invisible spaceship in my kitchen. Prove I don't. 

see? it isn't for those who don't share the delusion to prove you are delusional, it is for the religious to prove their god exists. The whole 'leap of faith' just doesn't cut it, not in the light of the constant thousands of years retreat of religion from areas that science is slowly explaining. 

I’m sorry but life started somewhere. It didn’t just “show up”. Prove that it did just show up. 

An hypothesis isn’t evidence. That’s the problem with your side. You have zero evidence that God doesn’t exist. And 5.5 billion people are apparently all whacko and crazy and in a cult, which further undermines your side. 

A hypothesis is not evidence. That’s correct. 

Again, if you proffer that God exists, submit the evidence. 

I don’t need to provide evidence against that which has no evidence for it in the first place. 

That’s no how Arguments work, when Proving something. 

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

A hypothesis is not evidence. That’s correct. 

Again, if you proffer that God exists, submit the evidence. 

I don’t need to provide evidence against that which has no evidence for it in the first place. 

That’s no how Arguments work, when Proving something. 

Your argument is that the Earth simply showed up one day out of the blue. You actually do need evidence that this is factual. Or else you are just as crazy as I am to believe in an imaginary God. 

Your argument is that the Earth simply showed up one day out of the blue. You actually do need evidence that this is factual. Or else you are just as crazy as I am to believe in an imaginary God. 

That is not what I suggested, at all. 

Please re-read my posts. 

I also refute the claim that I am as crazy as you are. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The problem with this argument which is being made by all the nonbelievers is that you have no evidence that the world simply came to being without a creator. 

So until you can prove that something “happened”, you also have zero evidence for God’s non existence. 

Burden of proof.

For believers I kinda think they shouldn't claim existence as fact. A massive part of belief in God is faith. Faith, as the word implies means that you know you are believing in something that can`t be proven.

Faith ..."strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof."

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

The Earth itself is not life. How did a human being form?  

Through a long process of evolution from single-cellular life. Homo sapiens emerged ~300,000 years ago iirc.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Does god know there are children suffering?

Does god know and not care?

Does god care but can't act?

Does god know and care and chooses not to act?

or does god not exist?

image.jpeg.b2c9d22c6c90c7da4558d04672515290.jpeg

Where exactly in the Bible does it say human beings are not allowed to suffer?  How does a spirit grow without suffering?  If you’re an atheist you think after all that suffering then you are dead and life is over. As a Roman Catholic I believe we come on this Earth to grow our souls and learn life lessons, which includes suffering. Once we are done learning and growing we go back to the afterlife as a better and stronger soul. 

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Where exactly in the Bible does it say human beings are not allowed to suffer?  How does a spirit grow without suffering?  If you’re an atheist you think after all that suffering then you are dead and life is over. As a Roman Catholic I believe we come on this Earth to grow our souls and learn life lessons, which includes suffering. Once we are done learning and growing we go back to the afterlife as a better and stronger soul. 

Life is suffering. That I will agree on. 

First truth of Buddhism. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m sorry but life started somewhere. It didn’t just “show up”. Prove that it did just show up. 

Please read and be informed. 

https://cneos.jpl.nasa.gov/about/life_on_earth.html

Further information:

https://hub.jhu.edu/2023/02/27/protein-origin-life/

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Chemistry and Evolution. 

Please tell me you don’t believe in Evolution. 

Evolution is both a fact and a theory. There is still no discernible proof in how life itself actually formed. 

Evolutionary biology provides a scientific framework for understanding the changes that have occurred since the first life forms arose on Earth several billion years ago. Biochemists, geologists, and physicists seek natural explanations for the origin of life on Earth. While progress has been made in this area, the origin of life remains an interesting, but unanswered, question.

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think if there is no evidence something exists it’s up to this who have the faith it does exist to show evidence. 
Faeries exist. The Easter bunny exists. Show evidence they don’t exist. Sorry friend but your logic here n me SJWs no sense. 
Faith is the only reason people believe in God. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

we do ask that you respect those of us that believe in something you don't.

I agree that you have a right to believe what you want to believe. I don't think I can honestly say i respect that belief. 

No offense intended, hear me out: A christian, upon hearing that I think the notion of a sky fairy is absurd declares that I or my soul will burn in hell for all eternity and have horrible things happen to me/my soul for ever and ever amen. I don't find that respectful one bit, i find it incredibly offensive that by not agreeing with a religious person about their delusion my core existence is condemned to eternal suffering and torment by that christian or group of christians. 

The notion that God is mentioned in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to me is egregious and offensive and not in any way respectful of me. 

I just don't think religious beliefs deserve respect, they deserve the right to exist, but anywhere that a Cross is worn in a bank or government office, I am at risk of being discriminated against by that official, and that isn't respectful at all. Even if i am not discriminated against, I feel I am open to that situation arrising and have to watch or guard against it. So yeah, i agree you have the right to believe and practice your religion but i KNOW that your right to that ends where my bubble of existence begins. 

I have been rude, and I appologize for that, but the very nature of the subject calls for being rude, in some ways. Three of the largest religions in the world were founded when a delusional tribal leader in a small desert dwelling community thought he heard voices telling him to kill his son, then he found out that no, they were just seeing if he would be willing to: and they settled for him mutilating the boys genitals instead. 

No thanks, keep it, but keep it to yourself. That is my position, and if you can advance your belief in a god or gods, then I have every right to also denounce and criticize it which is unavoidably rude and disrespectful. My apologies in any case for the ill feeling. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Evolution is both a fact and a theory. There is still no discernible proof in how life itself actually formed. 

Evolutionary biology provides a scientific framework for understanding the changes that have occurred since the first life forms arose on Earth several billion years ago. Biochemists, geologists, and physicists seek natural explanations for the origin of life on Earth. While progress has been made in this area, the origin of life remains an interesting, but unanswered, question.

Is that from the NSCE?

They're trying to tie evolution with religion...no?