The God Thread

Ribs

2 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I agree that you have a right to believe what you want to believe. I don't think I can honestly say i respect that belief. 

No offense intended, hear me out: A christian, upon hearing that I think the notion of a sky fairy is absurd declares that I or my soul will burn in hell for all eternity and have horrible things happen to me/my soul for ever and ever amen. I don't find that respectful one bit, i find it incredibly offensive that by not agreeing with a religious person about their delusion my core existence is condemned to eternal suffering and torment by that christian or group of christians. 

The notion that God is mentioned in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to me is egregious and offensive and not in any way respectful of me. 

I just don't think religious beliefs deserve respect, they deserve the right to exist, but anywhere that a Cross is worn in a bank or government office, I am at risk of being discriminated against by that official, and that isn't respectful at all. Even if i am not discriminated against, I feel I am open to that situation arrising and have to watch or guard against it. So yeah, i agree you have the right to believe and practice your religion but i KNOW that your right to that ends where my bubble of existence begins. 

I have been rude, and I appologize for that, but the very nature of the subject calls for being rude, in some ways. Three of the largest religions in the world were founded when a delusional tribal leader in a small desert dwelling community thought he heard voices telling him to kill his son, then he found out that no, they were just seeing if he would be willing to: and they settled for him mutilating the boys genitals instead. 

No thanks, keep it, but keep it to yourself. That is my position, and if you can advance your belief in a god or gods, then I have every right to also denounce and criticize it which is unavoidably rude and disrespectful. My apologies in any case for the ill feeling. 

I don’t know of any Roman Catholic that believes you will burn in hell for not believing in God.  Or that your life will be full of misery. Your soul will simply stay at a certain level and never grow. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Evolution is both a fact and a theory. There is still no discernible proof in how life itself actually formed. 

Evolutionary biology provides a scientific framework for understanding the changes that have occurred since the first life forms arose on Earth several billion years ago. Biochemists, geologists, and physicists seek natural explanations for the origin of life on Earth. While progress has been made in this area, the origin of life remains an interesting, but unanswered, question.

That’s how Science works, my friend. 

One doesn’t just jump to a conclusion without evidence. 

One doesn’t simply proffer that a supernatural force created it, without any evidence, EITHER! 

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Is that from the NSCE?

They're trying to tie evolution with religion...no?

I think it’s the exact opposite actually which further strengthens my point. 

The Center opposes the teaching of religious views in science classes in America's public schools; it does this through initiatives such as Project Steve. The Center has been called the United States' "leading anti-creationist organization".[3] The Center is affiliated with the American Association for the Advancement of Science.[4]

Edited by Elias Pettersson

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Prove God doesn’t exist. 

Not our job to prove that what doesn’t exist. It’s the believers job to prove God does exist.

Prove the tooth faery doesn’t exist. Prove Santa and Rudolf don’t exist. Beliefs based on faith cannot be proven. But it’s still up to those who believe to prove otherwise. 
So prove God exists. You, and no one, can. So Hod doesn’t have proof of existence. Hence why belief in God is based on faith. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

That’s how Science works, my friend. 

One doesn’t just jump to a conclusion without evidence. 

One doesn’t simply proffer that a supernatural force created it, without any evidence, EITHER! 

This is true. Which means neither side has any actual evidence. So I’ll stick with my “faith”. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I think it’s the exact opposite actually which further strengthens my point. 

The Center opposes the teaching of religiousviews in science classes in America's public schools; it does this through initiatives such as Project Steve. The Center has been called the United States' "leading anti-creationist organization".[3] The Center is affiliated with the American Association for the Advancement of Science.[4]

Thats not the opposite of what i said.

I said evolution and religion. No mention of that they believe in creation. They are trying to just ask educators to consider other forms/ideas of evolution. 

anyway, it is them. Thanks. 

10 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t know of any Roman Catholic that believes you will burn in hell for not believing in God.  Or that your life will be full of misery. Your soul will simply stay at a certain level and never grow. 

No, you will go to Purgatory. The absence of God, forever and ever and ever and ever and did I mention forever?

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Well historical fact says that the Roman Catholic church for 1900 of the last 2000 years has hunted, tortured and murdered folks like me. Am i then to be greatful that you simply condemn my eternal soul to being stagnant? what joke. 

By way of an olive branch, I am willing to agree with christians that of the roughly 250,000 'gods' that humans have invented, we both agree on the absolute nonexistence of 249,999 of them. 

It is just this sticky point of contention about that last one, the one you believe in. 

15 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I agree that you have a right to believe what you want to believe. I don't think I can honestly say i respect that belief. 

No offense intended, hear me out: A christian, upon hearing that I think the notion of a sky fairy is absurd declares that I or my soul will burn in hell for all eternity and have horrible things happen to me/my soul for ever and ever amen. I don't find that respectful one bit, i find it incredibly offensive that by not agreeing with a religious person about their delusion my core existence is condemned to eternal suffering and torment by that christian or group of christians. 

The notion that God is mentioned in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms to me is egregious and offensive and not in any way respectful of me. 

I just don't think religious beliefs deserve respect, they deserve the right to exist, but anywhere that a Cross is worn in a bank or government office, I am at risk of being discriminated against by that official, and that isn't respectful at all. Even if i am not discriminated against, I feel I am open to that situation arrising and have to watch or guard against it. So yeah, i agree you have the right to believe and practice your religion but i KNOW that your right to that ends where my bubble of existence begins. 

I have been rude, and I appologize for that, but the very nature of the subject calls for being rude, in some ways. Three of the largest religions in the world were founded when a delusional tribal leader in a small desert dwelling community thought he heard voices telling him to kill his son, then he found out that no, they were just seeing if he would be willing to: and they settled for him mutilating the boys genitals instead. 

No thanks, keep it, but keep it to yourself. That is my position, and if you can advance your belief in a god or gods, then I have every right to also denounce and criticize it which is unavoidably rude and disrespectful. My apologies in any case for the ill feeling. 

that is the very reason that i do not like the god thread. you have every right to your beliefs and you might even be right. but you might even be wrong. someday we'll all find out the truth. but threads do not answer any of the questions we all have. saying that, i believe that our souls suvive death and we get to see our love ones again. without that, this life has no meaning to me. am i delusional. maybe but that is my faith in the matter.  it always will be.

On an honest note. We are 33 pages into this thread and I don't feel like we've completely offended people.

That should be something to behold in itself.

(Now I'll find some way to not have jinxed it)

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

So my theory actually is similar to the big bang...

👽

What would happen if we lost gravity on Earth? We'd all separate.

What would happen if we lost gravity from the Sun? The planets would all separate.

What would happen if we lost gravity in the center of the galaxy? The stars would all separate.

So what if there used to be a center of the universe, but not a big bang, but more a source of gravity that dissipated? 😉

There still is. You call it Laniakea. It is the centre of universe gravity--non-linear gravity, that is. 

We are not permitted to say more 👽 👽 👽

Edited by Inkidu
  • Cheers 1