The God Thread

Ribs

55 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t know of any Roman Catholic that believes you will burn in hell for not believing in God.  Or that your life will be full of misery. Your soul will simply stay at a certain level and never grow. 

An entire handful of generations were forced to go to Assumption Indian Residential School, Blue Quill's Indian Residential School, Holy Angels Residential School, Crowfoot Indian Residential School, St Joseph's Industrial School, Ermineskin Indian Residential School, St Mary's Indian Residential School, Immaculate Conception Boarding School, Sacred Heart Residential School, St Albert Residential School, Grouard Residential School, and 57 other residential Schools that were run by Roman Catholics. 

At these schools, the children were abused, beaten, sometimes raped and sometimes murdered and the survivors almost every single one that is interviewed states that the schools and the Priests and the Nuns and the Catholic employees were doing all of this to save their souls from eternal damnation and hellfire on account of the "indians" not being Roman Catholics. 

So you will forgive me if i laugh outright at your assertion. 

edit: Also of note, the last one of these places to shut down happened in 1996, so it isn't even like we can say "oh hundreds of years ago doesn't count"

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Summary of this thread so far...

simpsons2.gif

spiderman2.gif

Being an agnostic I honestly enjoy reading all this.

Science, and mysteries of the everything are always on my mind.

I find your pov a bit frustrating but I am really glad you are here contributing. But I must also acknowledge that some athiests I know drive me a bit batty with how absolute they can be about it being lights out in the end. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

An entire handful of generations were forced to go to Assumption Indian Residential School, Blue Quill's Indian Residential School, Holy Angels Residential School, Crowfoot Indian Residential School, St Joseph's Industrial School, Ermineskin Indian Residential School, St Mary's Indian Residential School, Immaculate Conception Boarding School, Sacred Heart Residential School, St Albert Residential School, Grouard Residential School, and 57 other residential Schools that were run by Roman Catholics. 

At these schools, the children were abused, beaten, sometimes raped and sometimes murdered and the survivors almost every single one that is interviewed states that the schools and the Priests and the Nuns and the Catholic employees were doing all of this to save their souls from eternal damnation and hellfire on account of the "indians" not being Roman Catholics. 

So you will forgive me if i laugh outright at your assertion. 

edit: Also of note, the last one of these places to shut down happened in 1996, so it isn't even like we can say "oh hundreds of years ago doesn't count"

All of those things are terrible.  I never condoned any of that and nobody I ever went to school with, no priest that I have ever been involved with, has ever condoned that or been a part of that history.

The Roman Catholic church in my opinion has been corrupted for centuries.  Man is full of sin and God himself would never have wanted all of that to happen.  God created man in his own likeness, but man also has free will.  Those horrible things you mentioned are due to free will and man's corruption of the Roman Catholic church and of this life in general.

This life is full of sin and corruption and IMO is the actual Hell.  Hell on Earth as they call it.  Maybe we will have another Noah's Ark situation even though God said it would never happen again.  At the very least, there needs to be a cleansing of this earth.  Including a cleansing of the Vatican and the Roman Catholic church...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

I won't try to convince anyone to not have faith. But I have none. I just refuse to believe that if there were a higher power that can create all of the universe,then stands back and allows all this suffering and injustice to poison much of their creation.

• Like 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Man created god in his own likeness

fixed this for you.  Wrath, envy, greed, heck even raping a chick to make her bring forth the boychild are all prevelent themes in the novel written by semi literate migrant tent dwelling men grasping to control their population. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Joe King said:

Everything as I know has a beginning and an end.Where does always start?

One explanation that I've heard goes something like this:

The creator is larger than its creation.

What is true of the creation isn't necessarily true of the creator.

Everything in the Universe is subject to the law of causation.

God created the Universe and everything in it.  Including the law of causation.  But God Itself is not subject to the law of causation.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

God created the Universe and everything in it.  Including the law of causation.  But God Itself is not subject to the law of causation.

a wise man once asked "can god microwave a burrito so hot that even god himself can't eat it?"

i will take a long break from this thread now, while you folks decide can god make a burrito too hot for him to eat, or can he eat any level of hot burrito?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

Ok thank you for the explanation. It doesn't change my mind on my beliefs.

But I do sincerely appreciate your response to my question.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Convenient caveat created by Man about a diety that they want to be above reproach, no? 

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

a wise man once asked "can god microwave a burrito so hot that even god himself can't eat it?"

i will take a long break from this thread now, while you folks decide can god make a burrito too hot for him to eat, or can he eat any level of hot burrito?

God created logic and the logical paradoxes that logic can give rise to?  But God is not bound by logic or logical paradoxes?   :classic_biggrin:

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

All of those things are terrible.  I never condoned any of that and nobody I ever went to school with, no priest that I have ever been involved with, has ever condoned that or been a part of that history.

The Roman Catholic church in my opinion has been corrupted for centuries.  Man is full of sin and God himself would never have wanted all of that to happen.  God created man in his own likeness, but man also has free will.  Those horrible things you mentioned are due to free will and man's corruption of the Roman Catholic church and of this life in general.

This life is full of sin and corruption and IMO is the actual Hell.  Hell on Earth as they call it.  Maybe we will have another Noah's Ark situation even though God said it would never happen again.  At the very least, there needs to be a cleansing of this earth.  Including a cleansing of the Vatican and the Roman Catholic church...

While I’m not suggesting for a moment that you ever condoned or excused any of this I highly doubt that no priest you’ve ever been involved with has condoned or been part of that history. This isn’t ancient history by any means. For example the man in charge of the ”Sixties Scoop” or Canada’s AIM program is still an active  Mennonite pastor in Saskatchewan.

No argument with your comment about the corruption of the Catholic Church, or any other church for that matter.

IMG_9051.jpeg

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Whom do you think wrote the bible?

• ThereItIs 1

21 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

image.jpeg.94036e5192f37c0490f2f2476575764a.jpeg

That’s pretty dark my friend. If that is all that you are getting from this thread then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Man is full of sin. Some things cannot be explained by someone like me because I am just a man and a sinner too. I don’t have all the answers. But neither does the other side.