The God Thread

Ribs

20 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty much. You missed all the fun in the beginning when 10 of the non-believers all came after me at the same time. Then they got upset that after 10 pages I decided to bail. They tried to imply they scared me off. Imagine if 10 of me went after one of them. That one person would have needed medical assistance and a miracle from God to survive. 

At the end of the day there is no point in this thread really. Everyone has their opinions and beliefs and life experiences. 

It’s time for me to bail from this thread completely. And it’s not because anyone is scaring me off. It’s because it’s just a waste of my time and nothing good will ever come from being here and posting. 

Ya it didn't play out well before on CDC.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty much. You missed all the fun in the beginning when 10 of the non-believers all came after me at the same time. Then they got upset that after 10 pages I decided to bail. They tried to imply they scared me off. Imagine if 10 of me went after one of them. That one person would have needed medical assistance and a miracle from God to survive. 

At the end of the day there is no point in this thread really. Everyone has their opinions and beliefs and life experiences. 

It’s time for me to bail from this thread completely. And it’s not because anyone is scaring me off. It’s because it’s just a waste of my time and nothing good will ever come from being here and posting. 

Help Help Im Being Repressed GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Aww Rupert. If I was an atheist I would just tell you to go F yourself. But because I am a believer, I’m just going to give you a big hug because you really need one…

IMG_9884.gif

Aw Petey, you're the one who was whining about being ganged up on so badly that someone experiencing the same would need "medical attention and a miracle from god"....:frantic:

....but I'm the one who needs the hug....:classic_rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Aw Petey, you're the one who was whining about being ganged up on so badly that someone experiencing the same would need "medical attention and a miracle from god"....:frantic:

....but I'm the one who needs the hug....:classic_rolleyes:

You got me Rupert. God is actually pure evil. He would have given that one non believer a major heart attack. And had him beg for mercy. 

I think we are at the point of another Noah’s Ark really. The end is near. I just hope all of you know how to swim because there may not be enough room on the boat for all of us. 

Two animals of every kind. Damn that’s gonna be one humongous boat. 

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You got me Rupert. God is actually pure evil. He would have given that one non believer a major heart attack. And had him beg for mercy. 

I think we are at the point of another Noah’s Ark really. The end is near. I just hope all of you know how to swim because there may not be enough room on the boat for all of us. 

No idea where that is coming from....:classic_unsure:

34 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So big it is absurd, right?

Oh and thanks for praying for a flood to drown all of us heathens, mighty WWJD of you.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

So big it is absurd, right?

Oh and thanks for praying for a flood to drown all of us heathens, mighty WWJD of you.

Meh, I'm just a speck of dust here.  I doubt God is actually listening to me.  And if there isn't really a God then you have nothing to worry about.  My prayers will be falling on deaf ears...

• ThereItIs 1

13 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Meh, I'm just a speck of dust here.  I doubt God is actually listening to me.  And if there isn't really a God then you have nothing to worry about.  My prayers will be falling on deaf ears...

Perhaps not. I not religious like learning about religion. 

How do your beliefs correlate with the other Abrahamic religions? I know christians believe in the trinity which is a big point where they differ with the rest.

I remember reading about Islam believes that Jesus exists but as a prophet instead of god or even son of god. Christians also do not believe Muhammad as a prophet.

They all seem to believe in the same god of abraham. Just there are differences in beliefs in the nature of God and his relationship to the world.

7 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

What a waste of time a God thread was made just for non-believers to come in and attack believers. As you were..

All atheist vs christian discussion groups are like that. The proof of God is in the spirit performance of the individual and any child could tell you who is mean-spirited.

And what are the fruits of the spirit? Loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace. 

Edited by Inkidu
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s pretty dark my friend. If that is all that you are getting from this thread then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Man is full of sin. Some things cannot be explained by someone like me because I am just a man and a sinner too. I don’t have all the answers. But neither does the other side. 

Maybe it’s simply a question about faith for one to believe in God? Those who have faith believe. Those who don’t have faith need objective proof to believe. So two sides, as you say. 
I wonder how many adults switch groups? Those who have faith lose it and those without faith gain it? 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s pretty dark my friend. If that is all that you are getting from this thread then I don’t know what to tell you. 

Man is full of sin. Some things cannot be explained by someone like me because I am just a man and a sinner too. I don’t have all the answers. But neither does the other side. 

EP, what really makes it dark is Jesus then saying "And because you and your family did not believe and accept me as your lord and savior before you were mercilessly butchered, you will all be consigned to the pit. Enjoy hell, Timmy."

It's one of the most galling things about Christianity for me. I could be the nicest, most thoughtful, loving person in the world (and let's be clear, I am nowhere near that!) but if I do not believe in God I go to hell while Manson could repent on his deathbed and be let through the pearly gates no questions asked.

And before anyone says anything about "God's Plan" and ineffability, you can't deny that it's a raw deal that an unbaptized (read: innocent) child goes to hell while a mass murderer can ascend to heaven, as long as he eats the cookie and says a couple "Hail Mary" and "Our Father" before he kicks off.

16 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

EP, what really makes it dark is Jesus then saying "And because you and your family did not believe and accept me as your lord and savior before you were mercilessly butchered, you will all be consigned to the pit. Enjoy hell, Timmy."

It's one of the most galling things about Christianity for me. I could be the nicest, most thoughtful, loving person in the world (and let's be clear, I am nowhere near that!) but if I do not believe in God I go to hell while Manson could repent on his deathbed and be let through the pearly gates no questions asked.

And before anyone says anything about "God's Plan" and ineffability, you can't deny that it's a raw deal that an unbaptized (read: innocent) child goes to hell while a mass murderer can ascend to heaven, as long as he eats the cookie and says a couple "Hail Mary" and "Our Father" before he kicks off.

Is this criticism about there being a God or of certain religions? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is this criticism about there being a God or of certain religions? 

Pretty much both. If the Bible is truth, then God's #1 rule is "You Must Worship ME". It is not until the Fifth Commandment that He gets around to telling people how to treat each other. That tells me that He believes it is more important to worship Him than to treat your fellow people right. Add to that my above comment about how easy it is to get into Heaven ("Just accept that I am in charge and all sins are forgiven") does not, to me, present a being that is worthy of worship.

I have no experience of the Quran, so I don't know if there is an equivalent to the Commandments in those pages. 

My opinions of organized religion could be expressed as unkind at best. I'm not interested in someone saying "This is ultimate truth. You cannot question it. Now hand over your tithe." Never mind how those religions feel about women, LGBTQ, other religions, etc

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Inkidu said:

All atheist vs christian discussion groups are like that. The proof of God is in the spirit performance of the individual and any child could tell you who is mean-spirited.

And what are the fruits of the spirit? Loving service, unselfish devotion, courageous loyalty, sincere fairness, enlightened honesty, undying hope, confiding trust, merciful ministry, unfailing goodness, forgiving tolerance, and enduring peace.

At no time in history has any of that been the standard in christianity. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1fd9c7190ffee54b02a963ba9f0c5e9a.jpeg

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Pretty much both. If the Bible is truth, then God's #1 rule is "You Must Worship ME". It is not until the Fifth Commandment that He gets around to telling people how to treat each other. That tells me that He believes it is more important to worship Him than to treat your fellow people right. Add to that my above comment about how easy it is to get into Heaven ("Just accept that I am in charge and all sins are forgiven") does not, to me, present a being that is worthy of worship.

I have no experience of the Quran, so I don't know if there is an equivalent to the Commandments in those pages. 

My opinions of organized religion could be expressed as unkind at best. I'm not interested in someone saying "This is ultimate truth. You cannot question it. Now hand over your tithe." Never mind how those religions feel about women, LGBTQ, other religions, etc

But doesn’t your opinion rely on acceptance that the Bible is the word of God though? 
IMHAO to believe in God is all about faith. There’s no evidence any of the religious texts written by people are the word of God. So believers are basing their beliefs on faith. 
So to me using a text as evidence God doesn’t exist makes no sense. If God doesn’t exist, then those texts have no  relevance in the discussion. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

At no time in history has any of that been the standard in christianity. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1fd9c7190ffee54b02a963ba9f0c5e9a.jpeg

Of course this makes good sense if the discussion was about the value of religion. But I don’t see how this proves to a believer that God doesn’t exist. It shows religious organizations of man are bad. 

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

image.jpeg

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

But doesn’t your opinion rely on acceptance that the Bible is the word of God though? 
IMHAO to believe in God is all about faith. There’s no evidence any of the religious texts written by people are the word of God. So believers are basing their beliefs on faith. 
So to me using a text as evidence God doesn’t exist makes no sense. If God doesn’t exist, then those texts have no  relevance in the discussion. 

My opinion is based on the theory that the Bible is the word of God. I can only go with what believers claim: that the Bible is God's words given to prophets. I personally don't believe that. My own view of the Bible is that it is a semi-historical text interwoven with parables about how to be a decent human being. 

You're right that the only way to believe in God (any god, really) is about faith, since their existence can neither be proved or disproved. I do not have that faith.

I think those texts are relevant, however you feel about God's existence. Believers point to the text as proof, non-believers point to holes and inconsistencies as disproof.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2