The God Thread

Ribs

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Dont need to  

I siad ' claims of creationism, or an all knowing, all seeing, long beareded, sit on a cloud, type things'

I was being silly and genreal speaking...that's why I said 'type things' because I find the idea of creation wild and the hollywood santa clausesq view of heaven is ...clouds, bearded guy etc...

Lke this?

One of my favorite movies. 

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

One big difference between a fairy tale and an allegory.

A fairy tale tells the story of one of two people.

The allegory tells the story of an entire community.

Not according to the dictionary:

noun,plural al·le·go·ries.

1. a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another.

2. a symbolical narrative

31 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Not according to the dictionary:

noun,plural al·le·go·ries.

1. a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another.

2. a symbolical narrative

Want to swap dictionary meanings, I am cool with that 

Fairytale 

From the Oxford Dictionary 

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/fairy-tale_1#:~:text=fairy tale-,noun,or fairies%2C usually for children

A story about magic or fairies, usually for children.

7 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Want to swap dictionary meanings, I am cool with that 

Fairytale 

From the Oxford Dictionary 

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/fairy-tale_1#:~:text=fairy tale-,noun,or fairies%2C usually for children

A story about magic or fairies, usually for children.

So the Bible then. 🙃 

Your definition failed to mention how many people make up a fairy tale, which was the point of contention I believe.

1 hour ago, StrayDog said:

So the Bible then. 🙃 

Your definition failed to mention how many people make up a fairy tale, which was the point of contention I believe.

No it was not my point of contention.

My point of contention is that fairy tales and allegories are different from each other for the reasons I mentioned.

On 10/12/2023 at 6:06 PM, Ilunga said:

It's not the gotcha moment you think.

I do take insults to people I Iove/ loved personally. 

You can't even come up with original thoughts.

You keep posting the same quotes ad infinitum. 

Mocking and insults is all you add to this thread.

That speaks volumes as to what sort of person you are.

7 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Where I have stated you are a lesser person ?

I haven't.

Neither have I implied it.

I have consistently stated I respect peoples right to believe or disbelieve. 

What I have stated is that you continually mock people who do believe, that is a fact.

That you also post the same quotes ad finitum, that is also a fact.

You did this in the thread on the old board, and you continue to do it in this thread.

You are obviously an intelligent person, I've read many of your post and they are for the most part well thought out and usually a pleasure to read.

However, how can you say that "That speaks volumes as to what sort of person you are." is not implying I'm a lesser person?:classic_unsure:

Also, now that I re-read this post you also imply that I'm dumb or slow because I can't even come up with original thoughts.

And since you like dictionary definitions, last I checked ad infinitum doesn't mean a couple of times. 

ad in·fi·ni·tum
/ˌad ˌinfəˈnīdəm/
adverb
  1. again and again in the same way; forever.

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

You are obviously an intelligent person, I've read many of your post and they are for the most part well thought out and usually a pleasure to read.

However, how can you say that "That speaks volumes as to what sort of person you are." is not implying I'm a lesser person?:classic_unsure:

Also, now that I re-read this post you also imply that I'm dumb or slow because I can't even come up with original thoughts.

And since you like dictionary definitions, last I checked ad infinitum doesn't mean a couple of times. 

ad in·fi·ni·tum
/ˌad ˌinfəˈnīdəm/
adverb
  1. again and again in the same way; forever.

Mate you have continued to mock and demean believers in threads on both boards.

That does speak to the person you are. 

To be clear I don't think that makes you a lesser person,IMO mocking and demeaning others isn't nice behaviour.

It's a couple of times in this thread and 

at least the same amount of times in the old thread.

If that isn't ad finitum, choose your own adjective, adverb, noun whatever.

To be clear, I don't think you are slow or dumb person, in fact the opposite, it's clear from your posts you are an intelligent person.

Have you noted that before you joined the conversation, we had believers in here, we had a good discussion going where there was a degree of respect for one another.

As another posted noted your common form of reply is a meme.

I get that there is a personality clash between us, one can't get along with everyone. 

You have made at least one personal attack, I believe you referred to me as a Muppet ?

Which in the context you used it in, means an incompetent foolish person. 

6 hours ago, Ilunga said:

No it was not my point of contention.

My point of contention is that fairy tales and allegories are different from each other for the reasons I mentioned.

Your point of contention was a story involving one or two people vs a story involving a community. A fairy tale does not have a maximum character count and an allegory does not have a minimum. You just don't want to equate Biblical allegories to the folklore allegories collected by Grimm. 

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Have you noted that before you joined the conversation, we had believers in here, we had a good discussion going where there was a degree of respect for one another.

As another posted noted your common form of reply is a meme.

Here you are implying that before I came along everyone was having a great time before I ruined it. I've been here the whole time, so spare my the sob story.

And so what if I use memes? Back on CDC you also said something about people who use memes are something blah blah blah. You mock me plenty, you just do it a different way.

The fundamental attribution error refers to an individual's tendency to attribute another's actions to their character or personality, while attributing their behavior to external situational factors outside of their control. In other words, you tend to cut yourself a break while holding others 100 percent accountable for their actions.

Edited by Playoff Beered
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ilunga said:

common form of reply is a meme.

Only because I find it interesting: 

Did you know who the person who coined the phrase Meme is?

It makes me smile to write this, but it is none other than Richard Dawkins: Author of "THE GOD DELUSION"

From my well worn copy of the new york times best seller..just a random paragraph from a random page:

The rival god Baal seems to have been a perennially seductive tempter to wayward worship. In "Numbers chapter 25", many of the Israelites were lured by Moabite women to sacrifice to Baal. God reacted with characteristic fury. He ordered Moses to 'take all the heads of the people and hang them up before the lord against the sun, that the fierce anger of the Lord may be turned away from Israel." On cannot help, yet again, marveling at the extraordinarily draconian view taken of the sin of flirting with rival gods. To our modern sense of values and justice it seems trifling sin compared to, say, offering your daughter for a gang rape. ((from another section of that same scripture)) It is yet another example of the disconnect between scriptural and modern(one is tempted to say civilized) morals. Of course, it s easily enough understood in terms of the theory of memes, and the qualities that a deity needs in order to survive in the meme pool.

I got pretty lucky flipping randomly and putting my thumb in a page, but it managed to pluck out a paragraph with the word in it. 

Dawkins is a biologist with roots in service to to the royal institute in the UK and one of his first books was "the Selfish Gene", I believe he coined the term 'meme'  in the 70's but clearly here mentions it in his book circa 2006

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RupertKBD said:

So close..... : r/Target

:classic_cool:

Did you think I was talking about these people, or a typo?

https://www.thinkburlap.com/blog/what-is-a-none

A “none” is a person reporting no religious affiliation. Nones are not atheists, agnostics, or adherents of any kind.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, StrayDog said:

Your point of contention was a story involving one or two people vs a story involving a community. A fairy tale does not have a maximum character count and an allegory does not have a minimum. You just don't want to equate Biblical allegories to the folklore allegories collected by Grimm. 

The main reason the bible cannot be equated with a fairy tale is that while there is doubt about the existence of many biblical figures, there is no doubt about the existence of the Isrealites/ Jews.

There is no doubt about some of the historical facts about what happened to them, and what they did.

4 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

The main reason the bible cannot be equated with a fairy tale is that while there is doubt about the existence of many biblical figures, there is no doubt about the existence of the Isrealites/ Jews.

There is no doubt about some of the historical facts about what happened to them, and what they did.

So if a fairytale is woven into accepted history, it somehow becomes reality?

IMHAO there is no evidence of there being a God. And it’s 100% the responsibility of those who believe (on faith) Hod does exist to provide proof. It’s in no way the responsibility of those who don’t believe to provide prove God doesn’t exist. That’s not science. That’s backwards thinking. 

6 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Here you are implying that before I came along everyone was having a great time before I ruined it. I've been here the whole time, so spare my the sob story.

And so what if I use memes? Back on CDC you also said something about people who use memes are something blah blah blah. You mock me plenty, you just do it a different way.

The fundamental attribution error refers to an individual's tendency to attribute another's actions to their character or personality, while attributing their behavior to external situational factors outside of their control. In other words, you tend to cut yourself a break while holding others 100 percent accountable for their actions.

I am not implying, I am stating this as a fact.

Do you note the fact that since you have started posting memes that mock people who believe, people like MM, Joe and Petey are no longer involved in our discussion.

I did not say a great time, I stated we were having a good discussion where there was a degree of respect for one another. 

On the old forum just before it shut down I made a public apology, apologising to anyone I had offended.

If you have been offended by any of my posts that included you. 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So if a fairytale is woven into accepted history, it somehow becomes reality?

IMHAO there is no evidence of there being a God. And it’s 100% the responsibility of those who believe (on faith) Hod does exist to provide proof. It’s in no way the responsibility of those who don’t believe to provide prove God doesn’t exist. That’s not science. That’s backwards thinking. 

Again, have I ever stated I believe there is a god  ?