The God Thread

Ribs

50 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I am not implying, I am stating this as a fact.

Do you note the fact that since you have started posting memes that mock people who believe, people like MM, Joe and Petey are no longer involved in our discussion.

I did not say a great time, I stated we were having a good discussion where there was a degree of respect for one another. 

On the old forum just before it shut down I made a public apology, apologising to anyone I had offended.

If you have been offended by any of my posts that included you. 

I stand by most of my posts, if you want to be outraged by what's in them, well, then that's a you problem. 

Edited by Playoff Beered

2 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

I stand by most of my posts, if you want to be outraged by what's in them, well, then that's a you problem. 

Outraged ? 

They do not make me angry.

Anger only damages the person who experiences that emotion.

What I believe is that many of your posts are not conducive to an active discussion where people have respect for each other.

Don't see Sharpie or Rupe, continually posting memes. 

Optimists input is well thought out and delivered. 

That's why I have a lot of respect for those guys.

I have also seen them express empathy and compassion for others on this, and the old board, for some of our fellow members in some of their posts.

2 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Outraged ? 

They do not make me angry.

Anger only damages the person who experiences that emotion.

What I believe is that many of your posts are not conducive to an active discussion where people have respect for each other.

Don't see Sharpie or Rupe, continually posting memes. 

Optimists input is well thought out and delivered. 

That's why I have a lot of respect for those guys.

I have also seen them express empathy and compassion for others on this, and the old board, for some of our fellow members in some of their posts.

Happy you're not outraged.

That's your opinion and that's cool.

I'm not Sharpie or Rupe.

Yeah, Optimists input is good.

If you don't respect me, and you think I don't have compassion and empathy, then you should probably block me.

5 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

Happy you're not outraged.

That's your opinion and that's cool.

I'm not Sharpie or Rupe.

Yeah, Optimists input is good.

If you don't respect me, and you think I don't have compassion and empathy, then you should probably block me.

I should have been more specific, I have more respect for those guys.

I respect everybody on this board, yourself included.

I didn't say you haven't got any empathy, the content of your posts illustrates the fact you have a social conscience.

I simply stated that I haven't seen you express those emotions for a fellow member.

I have with the people I mentioned.

I make no moral judgement on you for this, I feel more of a bond with those who have.

I have never blocked anyone and I never will.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I should have been more specific, I have more respect for those guys.

I respect everybody on this board, yourself included.

I didn't say you haven't got any empathy, the content of your posts illustrates the fact you have a social conscience.

I simply stated that I haven't seen you express those emotions for a fellow member.

I have with the people I mentioned.

I make no moral judgement on you for this, I feel more of a bond with those who have.

I have never blocked anyone and I never will.

Cool, we'll see ya round the hood then.

• Huggy Bear 1

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

The main reason the bible cannot be equated with a fairy tale is that while there is doubt about the existence of many biblical figures, there is no doubt about the existence of the Isrealites/ Jews.

There is no doubt about some of the historical facts about what happened to them, and what they did.

I can respect that viewpoint, and  won't argue that the Bible has some historical truth. I disagree with the rest of it. A fairy tale is not somehow "lesser" than a Biblical allegory just because the originating place or event can't be traced.

In that respect, how do you feel about the Iliad? Is that story more valid? Mythology couched in a historical event?

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

So if a fairytale is woven into accepted history, it somehow becomes reality?

We can watch that happen in real time now with social media. People love to believe stories.

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO there is no evidence of there being a God. And it’s 100% the responsibility of those who believe (on faith) Hod does exist to provide proof. It’s in no way the responsibility of those who don’t believe to provide prove God doesn’t exist. That’s not science. That’s backwards thinking. 

If one has faith then they don't need proof.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

We can watch that happen in real time now with social media. People love to believe stories.

If one has faith then they don't need proof.

Yup. And those whose faith leads them to believe God exists should not expect those who don’t believe to provide evidence to the contrary. (One of our posters was wanting evidence to prove God doesn’t exist.)

Belief is faith based so no evidence can be provided of existence. Therefore God does not exist. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. And those whose faith leads them to believe God exists should not expect those who don’t believe to provide evidence to the contrary. (One of our posters was wanting evidence to prove God doesn’t exist.)

Belief is faith based so no evidence can be provided of existence. Therefore God does not exist. 

It always comes down to that. I don't care what you believe, just don't force me to believe it.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Classic ad hominen attacking my and your character rather than addressing the arguement(s). Now the thread has gone emotional rather than rational, making any kind of discourse difficult. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I am not implying, I am stating this as a fact.

Do you note the fact that since you have started posting memes that mock people who believe, people like MM, Joe and Petey are no longer involved in our discussion.

I did not say a great time, I stated we were having a good discussion where there was a degree of respect for one another. 

On the old forum just before it shut down I made a public apology, apologising to anyone I had offended.

If you have been offended by any of my posts that included you. 

My brother, you are a good man.  Thanks for continuing the fight for the believers.  I don't participate in this thread any longer because the discussion always comes back to the same points.  Please prove that God exists.  Also, the Bible is a fairy tale and is fake.  And if you believe in God, you are delusional.

So, it's pointless for me to continue any more discussions as I have already said my peace and I'd rather focus my time on other issues.  The memes don't really bother me, I am having good discussions with Playoff Beered and yourself as well in the Hamas/Israel thread, which is much more interesting and important to me at this time than a God thread...

Cheers to you and keep on with the good fight my brother...

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

I dont disrespect the person for believing in something, having faith, cause we dont know anything really about how reality/consciousness works. 

Though, I have no problem laughing at tales, stories, call them what you want, that have fantastic claims.

I am honestly Solipsistic.  I have felt this way for as long as I can remember. I never knew there was a term for it until a few years ago. Perhaps it's because I have a real issue with sleep paralysis, which also gives me a 'I'm not here' feeling. I could complelely understand someone making fun of me, maybe posting a meme, because...I really have a sensation that nothing outside my mind exists.

I could understand that telling people that I am not sure they are real can be offensive.

I guess what I am saying is toughen up. The best thing about our online community is that we attack the idea, not the person. You tell me that 3500 years ago there was only one continent or the Adam and Eve story and I'm gonna laugh my ass off....at that claim, but not at you, as again...I'm a freaking weirdo with what I experience

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, StrayDog said:

I can respect that viewpoint, and  won't argue that the Bible has some historical truth. I disagree with the rest of it. A fairy tale is not somehow "lesser" than a Biblical allegory just because the originating place or event can't be traced.

In that respect, how do you feel about the Iliad? Is that story more valid? Mythology couched in a historical event?

I did not use the word lesser, I stated that allegories and fairy tales are different, as evidenced by dictionary meanings of those terms.

While the Greeks did exist, and made incredible contributions to human culture, there is no hard evidence that the events in the Iliad happened.

In saying that, no doubt the Greeks engaged in wars.

I hold the view that many historians do, that it is a combination of stories of different sieges and expeditions by the Greeks during the bronze Age.

Bottom line, it's a bloody good read.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Classic ad hominen attacking my and your character rather than addressing the arguement(s). Now the thread has gone emotional rather than rational, making any kind of discourse difficult. 

I have never personally attacked another member of this board.

You used the words delusional and archaic amongst others to describe people who believe in a god.

That includes members such as MM, Joe and Petey, who were participating in this discussion.

I am in several fantasy leagues with MM, Joe is a really good person who I admire greatly, and the same with Petey. 

If you can't understand how being called delusional is offensive to someone, then I don't know what to say to you.

In Bishops post, he states, attack the idea not the person.

You are attacking people.

I believe that Bishop used the wrong terminology, it should be challenge the idea IMO.

• Huggy Bear 1

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I am honestly Solipsistic.  I have felt this way for as long as I can remember. I never knew there was a term for it until a few years ago. Perhaps it's because I have a real issue with sleep paralysis, which also gives me a 'I'm not here' feeling. I could complelely understand someone making fun of me, maybe posting a meme, because...I really have a sensation that nothing outside my mind exists.

Well, since you mentioned it:   

image.jpeg.cb00b1565b78d0662f46458376828221.jpeg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5fuRSI7pgMtAHHU_SXN1lnsEEAPtwLzHGnQ&usqp=CAU

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

image.jpeg.7345e33d513d52b1dc309caea2ee2aa8.jpeg image.jpeg.0758b55fba1b8a48135678a18339df78.jpeg

:classic_cool:

Everything is amusing in that map except the backpacker murders, and that murdering POS Martin Bryant.

And while there has been dissapearences and the death of Peter Falconio in the " outback ", it was further south east where Australia's worst serial killer murdered backpackers. 

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/oct/27/ivan-milat-chilling-serial-murders-haunt-australia-after-death

The baby killer dingoes should be in Northern Australia, Uluru. 

And the worst one of all, Danni Minogue was born in Melbourne !

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I have never personally attacked another member of this board.

You used the words delusional and archaic amongst others to describe people who believe in a god.

That includes members such as MM, Joe and Petey, who were participating in this discussion.

I am in several fantasy leagues with MM, Joe is a really good person who I admire greatly, and the same with Petey. 

If you can't understand how being called delusional is offensive to someone, then I don't know what to say to you.

In Bishops post, he states, attack the idea not the person.

You are attacking people.

I believe that Bishop used the wrong terminology, it should be challenge the idea IMO.

I was challenging the archaic thinking (outdated ways of interpreting the world) and certain delusional beliefs that come with religion (e.g. divine intervention, apocolyptic, miracles, creationism, etc). Never did I attack or call a person delusional, and I also wasn't specifically referring to delusional in a mental illness way (although there are examples of mass hysteria in religious settings) but rather false beliefs that persist despite evidence to the contrary - you added your own intent to what I said. 

A tip for discussing topics such as we are: if you're unsure, ask for clarification. 

And, since I'll take my own advice, and because you mentioned it earlier: what sort of person am I?

• Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I was challenging the archaic thinking (outdated ways of interpreting the world) and certain delusional beliefs that come with religion (e.g. divine intervention, apocolyptic, miracles, creationism, etc). Never did I attack or call a person delusional, and I also wasn't specifically referring to delusional in a mental illness way (although there are examples of mass hysteria in religious settings) but rather false beliefs that persist despite evidence to the contrary - you added your own intent to what I said. 

A tip for discussing topics such as we are: if you're unsure, ask for clarification. 

And, since I'll take my own advice, and because you mentioned it earlier: what sort of person am I?

Delusional beliefs ?

That is still stating somebody who holds those beliefs is delusional. 

I am always up for improving myself however I have been debating this particular topic of discussion for well over four decades, sometimes with people who have more knowledge on this subject than you do.

75 - 80 years of studying comparative religions, philosophy and believe it or not, science. 

In the discussions I have seen you participate in, I would describe you as an intelligent, erudite person. 

If you would only not use emotionally loaded terms like delusional, archaic and the like when discussing this subject, that would give you more credibility IMO. 

And also our fellow members who are believers might still be involved in the discussion.

I am not religious, but I had an experience in November, 1981, that made me

think that some higher power is out there. I was renting a basement suite in

Kamloops for a few months while attending  Cariboo College. I had a big

decision to make regarding my future. It was fairly late at night, the curtains

were closed, and it was very dark in my suite. I had made my decision, but I 

wanted some kind of a sign as affirmation that it was the correct decision. 

Three seconds later, I saw a flash of light in my suite, then a second later,

another one. That was freaky. There was no sound, no rain, no thunder or

lightning. I think someone, or something, was telling me I had made the

correct decision.

• Cheers 1