The God Thread

Ribs

5 minutes ago, Playoff Beered said:

We are talking about something that has caused many wars, killed many people and attracted legions of pedophiles, grifters and the like, but yet you have the unmitigated audacity to whine about me using the word muppet to describe people that champion religion.

All the countless crimes against humanity caused by religion can be swept under the rug as long as we are polite and don't mock each other? Fuck that.

If you champion religion you deserve to be mocked, the same way I would mock Nazi's, pedophiles or anything else that causes suffering like the way organized religion has.

Yeah, I'm aware of the butterfly affect and get why you wrote that.

I just really like bees.

Hmm after seeing this absolute dud of a post, maybe go back to the memes...

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Playoff Beered said:

We are talking about something that has caused many wars, killed many people and attracted legions of pedophiles, grifters and the like, but yet you have the unmitigated audacity to whine about me using the word muppet to describe people that champion religion.

All the countless crimes against humanity caused by religion can be swept under the rug as long as we are polite and don't mock each other? Fuck that.

If you champion religion you deserve to be mocked, the same way I would mock Nazi's, pedophiles or anything else that causes suffering like the way organized religion has.

Yeah, I'm aware of the butterfly affect and get why you wrote that.

I just really like bees.

You are one angry person.

And so we are clear, I have never championed religion, I have stated it has its benefits at a congregational level.

I have witnessed these benefits. 

I have also pointed out it's flaws, I am an actual victim of some of those flaws.

The white stolen generation here in Aus.

Religion is like anything else man has invented, it has its good points and it has its negative points. 

You focus on the negative.

I totally acknowledge that religion has caused a lot of harm in the world, it has also caused a lot of good both at an individual level and organisational level.

You should stop hating mate, hatred only hurts those who experience that emotion. 

That's not a bad Zappa song, one of my all time favourite albums is Joe's Garage.

Really like the Man from Utopia as well. 

You reap what you sow brother.

I prefer to try and sow kindness and respect.

Shalom......

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

16 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You are one angry person.

And so we are clear, I have never championed religion, I have stated it has its benefits at a congregational level.

I have witnessed these benefits. 

I have also pointed out it's flaws, I am an actual victim of some of those flaws.

The white stolen generation here in Aus.

Religion is like anything else man has invented, it has its good points and it has its negative points. 

You focus on the negative.

I totally acknowledge that religion has caused a lot of harm in the world, it has also caused a lot of good both at an individual level and organisational level.

You should stop hating mate, hatred only hurts those who experience that emotion. 

That's not a bad Zappa song, one of my all time favourite albums is Joe's Garage.

Really like the Man from Utopia as well. 

You reap what you sow brother.

I prefer to try and sow kindness and respect.

Shalom......

I point out some of what I think is wrong with religion and you just spin it around like I'm the one with the problem. Wow!

If calling out the institutions that cause suffering and are responsible for many crimes including many thousands of cases of pedophilia is "angry and hateful", then I will proudly be called angry and hateful.

You can show kindness and respect to institutions that cause suffering, but I won't.

Edited by Playoff Beered
Changed intuitions to institutions.

1 minute ago, Playoff Beered said:

I point out some of what I think is wrong with religion and you just spin it around like I'm the one with the problem. Wow!

If calling out the institutions that cause suffering and are responsible for many crimes including many thousands of cases of pedophilia, then I will proudly be called "angry and hateful".

You can show kindness and respect to intuitions that cause suffering, but I won't.

You don't believe the tone of your post was angry/ outraged ? 

That's the feeling I got from you reading it,  correct me if I am wrong. 

I show kindness and respect to people, not institutions.

I have stated numerous times that religion at a hierarchical level has had many negative impacts for humanity. 

And yes you do reap what you sow.

Do you believe mocking others will change people, help them evolve, or do you do it just to engender certain feelings in yourself. 

Personally I have found using reason and respect better tools for helping others change their views.

As- salaam alaikum

Just because I point out that I think religion is evil doesn't mean that I'm an angry and hatful person.

So yes, you're wrong about that and BTW I'm not responsible for your feelings.

I show kindness and respect also, but if you tell me you believe in alien Sasquatch's, Santa Claus or fairy tales written thousands of years ago I'm going to mock and tease you, 

I'm not here to change people or their views, but that's what preachers and religious folks sure try to do.

You mentioned in another thread you grow flowers, can I ask what kind? 

Edited by Sharpshooter
Unnecessary comment was unnecessary.
  • Confused 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Just because I point out that I think religion is evil doesn't mean that I'm an angry and hatful person.

I show kindness and respect also, but if you tell me you believe in alien Sasquatch's, Santa Claus or fairy tales written thousands of years ago I'm going to mock and tease you, 

I'm not here to change people or their views, but that's what preachers and religious folks sure try to do.

My parents were among the first to grow Proteas for cut flower production here in Aus.

They actually " created " a few varieties by cross pollinating, long process.

Most varieties of proteas come from South Africa.

One, the Waratah, is from here in Aus, it the " state " flower of NSW.

Before they bought the farm, dad was an aircraft design engineer, mum was a draughts/drafts woman in the aircraft industry, that's how they met. 

After screwing up after I left school, I wanted to make mum and dad proud of me so I took over the farm to continue their legacy.

I have grown to love what I do.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

My parents were among the first to grow Proteas for cut flower production here in Aus.

Before they bought the farm, dad was an aircraft design engineer, mum was a draughts/drafts woman in the aircraft industry, that's how they met. 

After screwing up after I left school, I wanted to make mum and dad proud of me so I took over the farm to continue their legacy.

That sounds like a nice way to make a living.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Playoff Beered said:

Religion isn't evil. Evil people spin religion to evil means and further their own agendas. But I don't think at the heart of any religion is evil. The path to hell is laid with good intentions. I'm not a religious person at all. 

Realize there are good and bad people of every faith including people of no faith.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That sounds like a nice way to make a living.

I am really lucky.

I could have ended up anywhere with who knows what sort of parents, maybe no parents at all.

I ended up with the 2 best people I have ever met.

My father was the kindest, most gentle man I have ever met.

I also ended up on a ten acre farm in Monbulk, on the edge of Melbourne.

I have travelled the world skiing and this one of the best places to live IMO.

It's paradise.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hammertime said:

Religion isn't evil. Evil people spin religion to evil means and further their own agendas. But I don't think at the heart of any religion is evil. The path to hell is laid with good intentions. I'm not a religious person at all. 

Realize there are good and bad people of every faith including people of no faith.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

Fair enough, I should have written religion is used for evil.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

17 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I am really lucky.

I could have ended up anywhere with who knows what sort of parents, maybe no parents at all.

I ended up with the 2 best people I have ever met.

My father was the kindest, most gentle man I have ever met.

I also ended up on a ten acre farm in Monbulk, on the edge of Melbourne.

I have travelled the world skiing and this one of the best places to live IMO.

It's paradise.

That's great when you end up in a place that feels like that. Reminds me of the first time I came to BC and I had a massive feeling that I was home. 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

That's great when you end up in a place that feels like that. Reminds me of the first time I came to BC and I had a massive feeling that I was home. 

I love BC brother, spent a lot of time there.

If I was gonna live in Vancouver it would be on the North Shore, there are epic MTB trails around the joint. 

I actually prefer the interior, as you would know, the snow gets lighter and drier as you go inland. 

There are three places in the world like here, the other 2 are L.A and Biarritz in France.

Wake up at 6am, drive an hour, go surfing, drive 3 hours go skiing, drive 2 and half hours back to Melbs and go skating.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I love BC brother, spent a lot of time there.

If I was gonna live in Vancouver it would be on the North Shore, there are epic MTB trails around the joint. 

^ bingo

5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

I actually prefer the interior, as you would know, the snow gets lighter and drier as you go inland. 

There are three places in the world like here, the other 2 are L.A and Biarritz in France.

Wake up at 6am, drive an hour, go surfing, drive 3 hours go skiing, drive 2 and half hours back to Melbs and go skating.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Fair enough, I should have written religion is used for evil.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

There is a beyond good and evil perspective. Each of those absolutes are perspective driven 100%. Subjective beyond belief. 

One on topic example: Satan killed one person in the entire Bible, God killed over 5 million. Who is good and who is evil?

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

There is a beyond good and evil perspective. Each of those absolutes are perspective driven 100%. Subjective beyond belief. 

One on topic example: Satan killed one person in the entire Bible, God killed over 5 million. Who is good and who is evil?

Didn't satan kill Job's entire family?

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Let’s look at our latest numbers on the big board.

Just remember though it ain’t over til time is called but Satan’s going to have to have a big second half.

IMG_9795.jpeg

That's the Wired article Pete ?

I was checking that out.

No matter how you cut it, as that article stated the old testament god was a blood thirsty fellow. 

He mellowed a bit in the second testament.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

That's the Wired article Pete ?

I was checking that out.

No matter how you cut it, as that article stated the old testament god was a blood thirsty fellow. 

He mellowed a bit in the second testament.

It was, good eye! 
New Testament God is older so maybe less testosterone.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Just remember though it ain’t over til time is called but Satan’s going to have to have a big second half.

IMG_9795.jpeg

Obviously god and definitely satan are amateurs when compared to the real champs...Mao Zedong (49M-79M), Genghis Khan (40M), Stalin (23M), and Hitler (17M). 

God almost compares to some guy named Ismail Enver Pasha who killed 2.5 million.

• Cheers 1

Didn't satan kill Job's entire family?

38 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

IMG_9795.jpeg

I was going from memory from 30 years ago. Might have been Voldemort, hehe, but thank you for pulling up the chart . I was in the ballpark. 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I see what you did there....:classic_cool:

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, 4petesake said:

IMG_9795.jpeg

I think he should bring in Asmodeus at corner......Gabriel has been killing them on the slant routes....

• Haha 3

Corporealism is part of the error of materialism. It's the spirit that has a body, not the other way around. The spirit is unaffected when the body dies. 

Spirit death is purely the result of a person's choices, and it is final. That is true death. 

Edited by Inkidu

4 hours ago, Inkidu said:

Corporealism is part of the error of materialism. It's the spirit that has a body, not the other way around. The spirit is unaffected when the body dies. 

Spirit death is purely the result of a person's choices, and it is final. That is true death. 

Could you expand a bit about that?