The God Thread

Ribs

46 minutes ago, Gurn said:

The portrayal of Jesus as a white

The moive Jesus Revolution was on last night. 

True story, bunch of hippies turn to Jesus in the late 60's. A big part of it is a guy that acts ....and 'looks' like Jesus. At one point he gets up in front of a crowd and says he would not want to look like anyone else.  

Funny thing is that they portray the hippies as open minded, smart, that they have exhausted their search for god, through drugs and experiences etc ...and now are willing to listen to the word of the church if they will be accepted.

All I could think is... you dont look like Jesus at all, there is no possibility, but some how in your ( and the churches) search for god you didn't bother to actually think about your own source materials and history.

I mean ithe moive is based on a true story and that mistake of a white Jesus image hangs on millions of walls. So, I understand to some degree but there is a question....why wouldn't worshipers now embrace and correct this obvious mistake?

The moive goes on about the search for truth... but not a truth that doesn't have whitey as top dog.....like alternative facts...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

breaking news! first image of Jesus located!

th-2081249066.jpeg

oh, that poor woman. It was such a real old lady thing to do. I could see my mum or some of her friends doing the same. Just fix up this little damage here..

15 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

oh, that poor woman. It was such a real old lady thing to do. I could see my mum or some of her friends doing the same. Just fix up this little damage here..

Just one more paint stroke.....

18 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The moive Jesus Revolution was on last night. 

True story, bunch of hippies turn to Jesus in the late 60's. A big part of it is a guy that acts ....and 'looks' like Jesus. At one point he gets up in front of a crowd and says he would not want to look like anyone else.  

Funny thing is that they portray the hippies as open minded, smart, that they have exhausted their search for god, through drugs and experiences etc ...and now are willing to listen to the word of the church if they will be accepted.

All I could think is... you dont look like Jesus at all, there is no possibility, but some how in your ( and the churches) search for god you didn't bother to actually think about your own source materials and history.

I mean ithe moive is based on a true story and that mistake of a white Jesus image hangs on millions of walls. So, I understand to some degree but there is a question....why wouldn't worshipers now embrace and correct this obvious mistake?

The moive goes on about the search for truth... but not a truth that doesn't have whitey as top dog.....like alternative facts...

All the religious right would do is say "my Jesus" is white, if they found a verified image.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

All the religious right would do is say "my Jesus" is white, if they found a verified image.

Even if they found a verified image? thats some flat earth style beliefs right there. How blasphemous of them to deny the actual face of Jesus.

However, If they acknowledge he is a fantasy being then I have no problem with it. Like a black Santa, since Santa is not real ...anyone can have their own version, np. 

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Even if they found a verified image? thats some flat earth style beliefs right there. How blasphemous of them to deny the actual face of Jesus.

Yep. They would not accept it. 

5 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

However, If they acknowledge he is a fantasy being then I have no problem with it. Like a black Santa, since Santa is not real ...anyone can have their own version, np. 

What do you mean, Santa isn't real?

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Entropy 

3 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

Gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces.  It took time to get us started and now we get to see how long we survive. 

I can't find my dictionary, so i'll respond to all that stuff later. For now i'll just say this. Most of your nerve cells are in your gut, that's why it never lies. My gut tells me God created us. Thats why he's called the creator, it's not rocket science guys. Sometimes people can over think things. 

9 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

I can't find my dictionary, so i'll respond to all that stuff later. For now i'll just say this. Most of your nerve cells are in your gut, that's why it never lies. My gut tells me God created us. Thats why he's called the creator, it's not rocket science guys. Sometimes people can over think things. 

Hey whatever floats your boat. Just don't force me to join you.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

People say creator. It’s all a bunch of craperolla. No proof so it’s kapoof! 

1 hour ago, Rob Eh said:

I won't but the power of the unseen compels you. 

Can't see these either:   Gravity, electromagnetism, the strong and weak nuclear forces, time 

Edit - well that quickie answer ended up dumb.  The light we all see is nothing but electromagnetism.  (most electromagnetism, and all the rest I mentioned are invisible)

Edited by Satchmo
correction
  • Haha 1

On 9/16/2023 at 1:55 PM, Ribs said:

May as well get it over with.

I believe in God but more in the "chicken came before the egg" kind of way.  I see religion as more of a guide as opposed to something that "one must follow blindly."  

I also am of the belief that the concept of abiogenesis is just as farfetched as the world being created in 6 days.    

If I'm taking a poo in the forest, it ain't turning into Theodore Huxstable 100,000 years later.  Life can't evolve from non-life.

Anyways, that's my $0.02.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek

54 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I believe in God but more in the "chicken came before the egg" kind of way.  I see religion as more of a guide as opposed to something that "one must follow blindly."  

I also am of the belief that the concept of abiogenesis is just as farfetched as the world being created in 6 days.    

If I'm taking a poo in the forest, it ain't turning into Theodore Huxstable 100,000 years later.  Life can't evolve from non-life.

Anyways, that's my $0.02.  

That sounds like an outlook that is more spiritual than scientific.  If so, I can respect it but can't fully agree with it.

My favorite chemistry prof quoted his favorite chemistry prof and said 'Life is just an interesting array of enzymes'.  Enzymes, and other body parts, are just made from spare parts and the Universe has plenty of those.   An enzyme may contain an atom that used to live in a rock, an exploding star, a starfish,  or even a poo in the woods.

It ain't the source of the parts that matters as far as I'm concerned; it's the resulting configuration.  Many of the most interesting configurations are alive.  All they needed to come alive were the right components and the right conditions.    Not saying I have a clue how the Universe got here but I am saying it has all the right components and conditions for life.

Religions do have some good points I think.  As far as Christianity goes I like the do unto others idea and agree with the thou shalt not kill bit  Nobody is going to keep me from coveting my neighbor's ass though if she's got a good one.

Not expecting you or anyone to agree but I'm bored and dozy and full of vaccines today and felt like typing all that out.   Thanks for reading.

Spoke with an high end investigator yesterday for quite a while.

He was the lead on the Reena Virk case. He has had a long career and worked with many agencies.

Randomly, the topic of religion came up.

"I've been in law enforecement for long enough to know that there is no God"

No hesitiation, didn't bat an eye...

Couple nights ago I watched the first episode of a series that is about near death experiences. There was a lady that was 'dead' for 30+mins. She claimed that she went to a nice place and was around strange entities...sure. What was interesting though is that these things told her that her eldest son would die around 18 years old. He was young when she had this experience, 8 yrs old I think. Of course hs did die in a random accident 10 years later. She had asked these entities 'why?' when they told her about her son. They said every being in the universe has a purpose...

If there is a god...it might have a plan...everything has a purpose....Gods plan? If thats the case, it involves tremendous suffering and no perceived justice, an absence of real right or wrong. No free will ( hi science) No real life at all then...

Count me out. I'm gonna side with the investigator.

• Cheers 2

My favorite chemistry prof quoted his favorite chemistry prof and said 'Life is just an interesting array of enzymes'.  Enzymes, and other body parts, are just made from spare parts and the Universe has plenty of those.   An enzyme may contain an atom that used to live in a rock, an exploding star, a starfish,  or even a poo in the woods.

https://www.scienceabc.com/pure-sciences/can-the-entire-human-race-fit-inside-a-sugar-cube.html

Can The Entire Human Race Fit Inside A Sugar Cube?

"What if I told you that the entire human race… yes, all 7.3 billion of us, don’t even require a space as large as your house? What if I told you that the entire human race could actually fit inside a sugar cube?"

https://blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/10-bonkers-things-about-the-world/

"This is because atoms are 99.9999999999999% empty space. If you could squeeze all the empty space out of all the atoms in all the 7 billion people in the world, you could indeed fit them in the volume of a sugar cube."

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

"This is because atoms are 99.9999999999999% empty space. If you could squeeze all the empty space out of all the atoms in all the 7 billion people in the world, you could indeed fit them in the volume of a sugar cube."

That is the biggest if I've seen in a while.    Quit true about the empty space though even if that space is full of forces quite resistant to squeezes.

That is the biggest if I've seen in a while.    Quit true about the empty space though even if that space is full of forces quite resistant to squeezes.

Ya, but it's really cool.. that's all that remains of the human race...after you get rid of everything else. The stuff you cant destroy. The particles that will go on to make the atoms for other things you mention...rock, (star)fish, poop etc...

We are all barely even here. But what little we are, is held together by that electromagnetism you like so much.

40 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Spoke with an high end investigator yesterday for quite a while.

He was the lead on the Reena Virk case. He has had a long career and worked with many agencies.

Randomly, the topic of religion came up.

"I've been in law enforecement for long enough to know that there is no God"

No hesitiation, didn't bat an eye...

Couple nights ago I watched the first episode of a series that is about near death experiences. There was a lady that was 'dead' for 30+mins. She claimed that she went to a nice place and was around strange entities...sure. What was interesting though is that these things told her that her eldest son would die around 18 years old. He was young when she had this experience, 8 yrs old I think. Of course hs did die in a random accident 10 years later. She had asked these entities 'why?' when they told her about her son. They said every being in the universe has a purpose...

If there is a god...it might have a plan...everything has a purpose....Gods plan? If thats the case, it involves tremendous suffering and no perceived justice, an absence of real right or wrong. No free will ( hi science) No real life at all then...

Count me out. I'm gonna side with the investigator.

I think most around here know I'm the resident Thomas Covenant when it comes to religion, but I don't write off stories like this out of hand. I just believe that the human mind is capable of some pretty weird things that sometimes defy explanation.

Here's an example that has happened to me and I'll wager more than a few others here:

Did you ever have a dream that went on for quite a while, but the final result was that you were falling from a considerable height? The you wake up to find you've fallen out of bed? How did your brain create that entire backstory in the time it took for you to fall those 18 or so inches?

I don't necessarily believe the old saying, "The Lord works in mysterious ways"....but I do believe that the mind does.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RupertKBD said:

Did you ever have a dream that went on for quite a while, but the final result was that you were falling from a considerable height? The you wake up to find you've fallen out of bed? How did your brain create that entire backstory in the time it took for you to fall those 18 or so inches?

Yes, I had a very similar experience and it kind of freaked me out.   Then I learned that dreams can often happen very, very quickly.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

I think most around here know I'm the resident Thomas Covenant when it comes to religion, but I don't write off stories like this out of hand. I just believe that the human mind is capable of some pretty weird things that sometimes defy explanation.

Here's an example that has happened to me and I'll wager more than a few others here:

I don't necessarily believe the old saying, "The Lord works in mysterious ways"....but I do believe that the mind does.

I dont want to be a one-upper cause I totally agree...I suffer from sleep paralysis, though not as much as when I was young.

The things my mind has done to me while semi-conscious is well...borderline certifiable. 

I honestly thought something was wrong with me until I learned that it was a real thing in my 20's.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

https://www.scienceabc.com/pure-sciences/can-the-entire-human-race-fit-inside-a-sugar-cube.html

Can The Entire Human Race Fit Inside A Sugar Cube?

"What if I told you that the entire human race… yes, all 7.3 billion of us, don’t even require a space as large as your house? What if I told you that the entire human race could actually fit inside a sugar cube?"

https://blog.sciencemuseum.org.uk/10-bonkers-things-about-the-world/

I was looking for something else and fell upon this...

You Are Not Mostly Empty Space

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/04/16/you-are-not-mostly-empty-space/?sh=61819fc62c2b

It might be off topic, but it's all God's work right?

• Huggy Bear 1

28 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

I was looking for something else and fell upon this...

You Are Not Mostly Empty Space

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2020/04/16/you-are-not-mostly-empty-space/?sh=61819fc62c2b

It might be off topic, but it's all God's work right?

Yep much clearer for me now..

So electrons ( particles) are clouds ( fog), or waves/particles depending if they are observed...use the classic split screen to confuse us and show its both....how does, or does superposition ( particles that exist in two places at once!) fit into it?

The article takes a while to drive around and then kinda gets to the point, which there is one... the quantum field is wacky to say the least. But what about the M theory stuff? are there little strings vibrating away and that vibration makes a quark? Or invisible vibrating loops?

We will need a God to continue down this Horton Hears a Who! hole.

🙂

Edit: to add to this...what really is empty space? the thought is that there is no 'empty' space anywhere.

Even a vaccum has energy such as the Higgs field. 

So, the term empty space IS subjective.

Now, lets do dark matter/energy...or some WIMPS or Neutrinos and stuff too... I like feeling numb.

Edited by bishopshodan