The God Thread

Ribs

On 12/27/2023 at 9:01 AM, Satchmo said:

I have to apologize for bringing an end to an interesting conversation.  I wasn't drunk but it is the season for being a little tipsy.  At the time I thought I was being hilarious.

I hope this conversation can continue at least between yourself & @UnkNuk.   I'll stay out of unless I think I have a worthwhile comment. 

Upon reflection, I can see how a scientist might pursue a subject - especially one like this - without a full believe in it.  And l know it's a struggle to get grants.

So, please tell me more...

I decided to check and see if there truly was a consensus about the BBT and it seems like there is, although I wasn't able to find a percentage. That being said, at the very least there appears to be a plurality of scientists that believe in the Big Bang.

The best and most complete answer I saw was on Quora. It goes into some detail:

https://www.quora.com/Do-many-as-a-percentage-scientists-believe-in-the-Big-Bang

Click on "Continue Reading" the answer from Krister Sundelin

• Like 1

Interesting detective work Rup.   I saw your post a while ago but have waited before responding while I pondered a bit. Not on a response but how to phrase it.  I think my response may sound a bit rude and dismissive though I don't mean it to. But the truth is - and this was my first thought when I saw your post -  I don't really care if the BBT is right or wrong, nor do I really care how many people accept it.  It's just a model.  It's an unproven and possibly unprovable explanation.  I see it as plausible but still very questionable.   Maybe knowledge obtained from Webb will prove it/deny it/enhance it/replace it and I'm fine with any of those outcomes.   As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm just glad we are on the case.  We are learning so much interesting stuff in the pursuit of something we may never completely figure out.

2 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Interesting detective work Rup.   I saw your post a while ago but have waited before responding while I pondered a bit. Not on a response but how to phrase it.  I think my response may sound a bit rude and dismissive though I don't mean it to. But the truth is - and this was my first thought when I saw your post -  I don't really care if the BBT is right or wrong, nor do I really care how many people accept it.  It's just a model.  It's an unproven and possibly unprovable explanation.  I see it as plausible but still very questionable.   Maybe knowledge obtained from Webb will prove it/deny it/enhance it/replace it and I'm fine with any of those outcomes.   As I mentioned in an earlier post I'm just glad we are on the case.  We are learning so much interesting stuff in the pursuit of something we may never completely figure out.

There were a few posts that I could have replied to, but yours was the one that said "please tell me more"....:classic_happy:

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

There were a few posts that I could have replied to, but yours was the one that said "please tell me more"....:classic_happy:

I hear you.   When I said that I was trying to mend fences because I felt I had behaved poorly.   Crickets since then though.

Edited by Satchmo
  • Huggy Bear 1

• 3 weeks later...

" I am not impressed by a social movement that defines itself by what it doesn't believe in "

Greg Raffin PHD 

Evolutionary biologist.

UCLA lecturer in natural sciences 

Received the Rushdie award for Cultural humanism.

A Practitioner of Naturalism 

And most important of all the lead singer of Bad Religion. 

• ThereItIs 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-is-now-holy-war-russian-church-declares/ar-BB1kHHBQ

Ukraine Is Now 'Holy War,' Russian Church Declares

The Russian Orthodox Church has approved a document that deems President Vladimir Putin's full-scale invasion of Ukraine a "Holy War."

The declaration came during a congress of the World Russian People's Council in which religious, political and cultural figures in the country met at the site of Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior, a focal point for the Orthodox faith in Russia.

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, also heads the council and is an ally of Putin. He has been criticized for providing a religious justification for the war and failing to unequivocally condemn the killing of people in Ukraine.

In February 2022, Patriarch Kirill said that Ukraine and Belarus were part of "Russian lands" and called the Ukrainians who were defending themselves against Russian aggression as "forces of evil," pitching the war as a battle for the future of Christianity.

"From a spiritual and moral point of view, the special military operation is a Holy War, in which Russia and its people, are defending the single spiritual space of Holy Russia," the document released on Wednesday said under the heading "special military operation," which is the official Kremlin term for the invasion.

It went on to claim that the war had the goal of "protecting the world from the onslaught of globalism and the victory of the West, which has fallen into Satanism."

I was going to post this in the Ukraine war thread, but I thought I''d post it here and bump the thread.

Religion is not the opiate of the people, as the old soviet meme goes, but the scourge of the people.  If there are Christians on here who demonize the "other" religions as being compromised or corrupted, your religion is not infallible either.  Hitler used the Pope at the time too.  Basically boils down to.... anyone who can suspend disbelief in logic to believe in things like a talking snake, can be made to believe anything. ie. That Trump is sent by God to do his work.

So it begs the question to me....not only now a religious person has to decide which religion is the "good" and "true" one, they then have to decide the denomination, who also vary in their stances.  And now it depends on which country's Christianity you grow up under. And who is right? Some devout Russian mother who believes in her church and that Ukraine is evil? or a Ukrainian mother who is praying for Russia's demise to theoretically the same God?  Is the Russian woman sinning? If she truly believes in Putin's church blessed war?

Religion is just another tool for politicians to use for their own purposes.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 2

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-is-now-holy-war-russian-church-declares/ar-BB1kHHBQ

The Russian Orthodox Church has approved a document that deems President Vladimir Putin's full-scale invasion of Ukraine a "Holy War."

The declaration came during a congress of the World Russian People's Council in which religious, political and cultural figures in the country met at the site of Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior, a focal point for the Orthodox faith in Russia.

The head of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, also heads the council and is an ally of Putin. He has been criticized for providing a religious justification for the war and failing to unequivocally condemn the killing of people in Ukraine.

In February 2022, Patriarch Kirill said that Ukraine and Belarus were part of "Russian lands" and called the Ukrainians who were defending themselves against Russian aggression as "forces of evil," pitching the war as a battle for the future of Christianity.

"From a spiritual and moral point of view, the special military operation is a Holy War, in which Russia and its people, are defending the single spiritual space of Holy Russia," the document released on Wednesday said under the heading "special military operation," which is the official Kremlin term for the invasion.

It went on to claim that the war had the goal of "protecting the world from the onslaught of globalism and the victory of the West, which has fallen into Satanism."

I was going to post this in the Ukraine war thread, but I thought I''d post it here and bump the thread.

Religion is not the opiate of the people, as the old soviet meme goes, but the scourge of the people.  If there are Christians on here who demonize the "other" religions as being compromised or corrupted, your religion is not infallible either.  Hitler used the Pope at the time too.  Basically boils down to.... anyone who can suspend disbelief in logic to believe in things like a talking snake, can be made to believe anything. ie. That Trump is sent by God to do his work.

So it begs the question to me....not only now a religious person has to decide which religion is the "good" and "true" one, they then have to decide the denomination, who also vary in their stances.  And now it depends on which country's Christianity you grow up under. And who is right? Some devout Russian mother who believes in her church and that Ukraine is evil? or a Ukrainian mother who is praying for Russia's demise to theoretically the same God?  Is the Russian woman sinning? If she truly believes in Putin's church blessed war?

organized religion is just an excuse to hurt or exploit people, imo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

It's factors like these which is why I tend to avoid religion. Just too many political factors associated with it. Even if there was a god, I doubt god would have wanted religion to make people despise anyone who doesn't follow the same religion as them.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

I doubt god would have wanted religion to make people despise anyone who doesn't follow the same religion as them.

I dont know, I have always remembered this. I take it that the christian god will not tolerate those that worship any other deities.

Do not bow in worship to them, and do not serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, bringing the consequences of the fathers’ iniquity on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me,

Exodus 20:5

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

I dont know, I have always remembered this. I take it that the christian god will not tolerate those that worship any other deities.

Do not bow in worship to them, and do not serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, bringing the consequences of the fathers’ iniquity on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me,

But the problem with this is this is written in a book not by god himself. As long as this is the case, I cannot agree that this is what god wants.

Also, any writing that wants people to follow them would likely have a clause in their writings like this so that they don't go worship someone else. It's no different than a roommate gaslighting you for making you think you should be doing the chores all the time. Instead, it's about worship and gaslighting you into feeling guilty if you ever worship someone else.

In fact, it's clauses like these that actually moved me away from religion in the first place because it's obvious what these clauses are for.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2024 at 3:47 PM, bishopshodan said:

Sounds a lot like Trump

• Haha 1

Here’s one that sounds strange to me - if I’m not mistaken, it is said that Jesus never sinned in his life. But how could that be? Even when he was a kid growing up, he didn’t commit even one sin? That doesn’t add up. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Here’s one that sounds strange to me - if I’m not mistaken, it is said that Jesus never sinned in his life. But how could that be? Even when he was a kid growing up, he didn’t commit even one sin? That doesn’t add up. 

Different rules for He, than for thee. 

22 hours ago, Slegr said:

I have it on good authority he talked back to his dad. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

so, after nearly 2,000 years, the apocalypse is finally happening tomorrow, coinciding with the eclipse. i just want to say that it's been a great ride with y'all.

i, for one, accept jesus christ as my lord and saviour.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, 112 said:

so, after nearly 2,000 years, the apocalypse is finally happening tomorrow, coinciding with the eclipse. i just want to say that it's been a great ride with y'all.

Bbbbut… this is the year for the Canucks..???

2 hours ago, 112 said:

Oh, sorry but the cutoff for this was last Sunday.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, 112 said:

So long, and thanks for all the fish. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

10 hours ago, 112 said:

Yup. Humans will be wiped out and the dog will rise to rule. For the obvious reason.